Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:45 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,056,483 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a source to show the crime statistics (nonviolent and violent) for zip code 28205 over a long period of time (each year over the last 10 to 20 years)? Until we see that, I think it's difficult to draw a conclusion. What does the map above show?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnc View Post
The Police that work the Plaza midwood area just fell on the floor laughing at the statement that plaza midwood is a safe area. Enjoy your fake life and paying too much for a shoebox home in crime ridden plaza midwood. Any doubt look at the school ratings and talk to the folks that have a home that backs up to a alley where there is a big problem with break ins.
Where do they work? I know several law enforcement officers in the area and have talked to them about which areas are safer in their view as well. What alley are you referring to? Can you share more evidence other than what "you heard"?

Enjoy being snarky and ill informed. There are several great schools in plaza midwood. We don't live there anymore but would have no issue moving back. My mother still lives there and walks a lot. Why are the houses so expensive there? Must have something to do with lots of people wanting to live there? Not sure a crime ridden area would sustain high property values, so I thank you for that point. charlottes growth has been great for most of our in city neighborhoods in general - I suspect you haven't spent much time in these areas that you have such a negative opinion of. Would love to meet these officers you claim as sources.
To

Old 12-20-2016, 06:31 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,172,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Does anyone have a source to show the crime statistics (nonviolent and violent) for zip code 28205 over a long period of time (each year over the last 10 to 20 years)? Until we see that, I think it's difficult to draw a conclusion. What does the map above show?
It shows that where people live is fairly safe. And it shows that shopping/business districts suffer from crime.

It's a fairly consistent paradigm, no matter how much you paid for your house. With some notable outliers.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:54 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,486,167 times
I've heard it all now. Plaza-Midwood is dangerous? Wow. Only on city data.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
It shows that where people live is fairly safe. And it shows that shopping/business districts suffer from crime.

It's a fairly consistent paradigm, no matter how much you paid for your house. With some notable outliers.

Thanks. I think avoiding the local news would make people smarter and feel more secure. The sensationalism is harmful and inaccurate.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:10 PM

501 posts, read 526,723 times
Might need to explain you statement. Where does Trump fit in since he isn't in office yet.And what do the markers and their colors indicate. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:39 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,551,763 times
Most of Plaza Midwood is very safe. The business/commercial areas are less safe and that is typical of most business areas of a city.

Those maps crack me up. To selectively compare the crime stats of a section of Central Ave @ Plaza/Midwood to the business/commercial area of Southpark Mall is ridiculous. If you are going to compare you need to compare apples to apples.

What does Trump have to do with this?

Old 12-20-2016, 01:26 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,345,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
Might need to explain you statement. Where does Trump fit in since he isn't in office yet.And what do the markers and their colors indicate. Thanks.

The map is a crime map from the Observer's website. Link: Crime Map News | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer

Key:
Red – Crimes against people
Purple – Crimes against property
Blue – Incidents involving alcohol or drugs
Yellow – Non-criminal incidents
Green – All other incidents

I interpreted the poster as saying PM has about the same level of crime as Southpark, and provided the map as data.

Last edited by BC1960; 12-20-2016 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-20-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Most of Plaza Midwood is very safe. The business/commercial areas are less safe and that is typical of most business areas of a city.

Those maps crack me up. To selectively compare the crime stats of a section of Central Ave @ Plaza/Midwood to the business/commercial area of Southpark Mall is ridiculous. If you are going to compare you need to compare apples to apples.

What does Trump have to do with this?
I compared two commercial districts with similar levels of pedestrian traffic.

I could compare the single-family portion of Plaza-Midwood with the single-family portion of Barclay Downs and it would be the same thing... not much crime. In fact, you can SEE a chunk of (crimeless) P-M neighborhood in the map. But you know that, your first sentence acknowledges it.

Trump is kinda over-dramatic, can't control his emotional outbursts, and appeals to the low-information voter. You seem like a smart fellow, connect the dots from there.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:57 PM

Aaaaaand here's neighborhood to neighborhood. Notice how many more people live in P-M...

Source:

www.crimemapping.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte