U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-21-2016, 02:33 PM
 
3 posts, read 1,412 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm a first time home buyer in search of a house under $250K and can use any advice/guidance available. My husband works in Ballantyne while I work in the university so we are trying to find somewhere that keeps our commute around 30 minutes and avoiding I-77 at all costs. We love the Matthews, Mint Hill, Indian Trail, and Belmont/Cramerton areas.








We aren't stuck on living in a neighborhood but if you know of any particular neighborhoods that are good in these areas and have homes available, please let me know!


Our primary is we can't find a builder in the area that has a quality home for less than $250K in a safe area. Please provide recommendations not including M/I, True, Ryan, etc!




I've searched so I realize this is tough to find, and we may end up buying something pre-owned, just a shot in the dark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2016, 07:42 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Reputation: 3366
I'm not sure you can even get what you want from the builders you mentioned. Those are more of the mid-range builders (well except for True which has a wide range), there are much more lower-end builders around.

What do you mean "you're not stuck on living in a neighborhood"? If you want new construction for $250K with a decent commute to both University and Ballantyne, 99.9% chance you will need to be in a neighborhood (and likely on a small lot).

Besides a "safe area," how big of a house are you looking for? Do you need public schools?

Depending on the answers to those questions, my only thought for new construction might be the Woodbury neighborhood in Charlotte near Mint Hill which would put you at a good commuting spot albeit a little closer to University. You can get a lot of house for your money as well as good neighborhood amenities. Some might be hesitant about the school ratings or the fact that as you go west on Albemarle Rd it gets more diverse, but they are also building the new hospital near 485 which might help additional development in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 04:55 AM
 
149 posts, read 147,229 times
Reputation: 79
Is one of you going to have flexibility in work schedule? Even without 77, you guys could be looking at really lousy commutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 05:18 AM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28226 View Post
Is one of you going to have flexibility in work schedule? Even without 77, you guys could be looking at really lousy commutes.
Depends on your definition of lousy I guess. I think all of the towns OP mentioned would be at least under 45 minutes most of the time to both, with Matthews and Mint Hill in the 30 minute range. Matthews/Stallings would probably be the ideal location for commute purposes since traffic would be worse going to Ballantyne, but doubtful you can get much new construction there for $250k (resales sure). Belmont/Cramerton might have less bumper to bumper traffic to Ballantyne in particular, but it's a little further distance-wise (especially if you're in one of the neighborhoods that's further away from 85).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 08:22 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,412 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'm not sure you can even get what you want from the builders you mentioned. Those are more of the mid-range builders (well except for True which has a wide range), there are much more lower-end builders around.

What do you mean "you're not stuck on living in a neighborhood"? If you want new construction for $250K with a decent commute to both University and Ballantyne, 99.9% chance you will need to be in a neighborhood (and likely on a small lot).

Besides a "safe area," how big of a house are you looking for? Do you need public schools?

Depending on the answers to those questions, my only thought for new construction might be the Woodbury neighborhood in Charlotte near Mint Hill which would put you at a good commuting spot albeit a little closer to University. You can get a lot of house for your money as well as good neighborhood amenities. Some might be hesitant about the school ratings or the fact that as you go west on Albemarle Rd it gets more diverse, but they are also building the new hospital near 485 which might help additional development in the area.


Thanks for the reply. We have family that has a much higher budget than ourselves that have been very negative about the builders I listed saying that the homes fall apart after a few years and the neighborhoods tend to go downhill quickly. I'm still actually looking at True, but just thought I'd see about other options out there.




By "not stuck on living in a neighborhood" I meant it is not one of my requirements whereas a lot of people I know specifically want to live in a neighborhood and have an HOA etc. I'm not overly picky there, but would prefer to not. I need a 3 br 2 ba because kids will potentially happen in about 5 years and both of us work from home 1-2 days a week (no negotiation at moment for more work from home time). Good public schools are a plus, not a must. I don't have a requirement for sq footage either as it kind of depends on how it is laid out. My childhood home was 3br/2ba 1600 sq ft and had plenty of room to spare.




I grew up off Harrisburg Road and drove through the area by Woodbury every day for years. It used to be decent but has gone downhill in recent years and friends from that area have or are looking to move. Hopefully the hospital will help! Albemarle at 485 is a good halfway point somewhat, just not a good area :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 09:19 AM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Reputation: 3366
So what makes you want new construction? To me it sounds like if you were to be in a neighborhood you'd rather be in a more established neighborhood, which in most cases means older homes. Plus as you alluded to many would argue that the older homes were built better than a lot of the newer ones, and of course there would be more available in your price range in resales.

Assuming when you say you're not a fan of Albemarle at 485 you're referring to west of 485, True does have a few of their mid-range options east of 485 where it's a bit more rural, and in that same area you might also be able to find some resales that aren't in neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail, NC
924 posts, read 1,854,105 times
Reputation: 374
I built a Ryan Home three years ago and have had no problems. They have a very good reputation. Every builder has a few problems and there are always people that aren't happy. I live in Indian Trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 07:03 PM
 
376 posts, read 223,932 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninergirl2015 View Post
I'm not overly picky there, but would prefer to not. I need a 3 br 2 ba because kids will potentially happen in about 5 years and both of us work from home 1-2 days a week (no negotiation at moment for more work from home time).
Give or take a few years, potentially you may want a good school district in a decade. Hopeful yet still a big difference from need, but somewhere along 485 around Matthews or Stallings may be a reasonable alternative. A new house may be idyllic, but buying and possibly renovating an existing home with good or better bones (used !) than some new houses may help achieve ST and medium-term dwelling desires within your current budget.

As a child or children possibly come into your world, you could potentially add on or further renovate your home if you've planned well, set aside more dinero, etc. Or, possibly move to a location in your future, targeted school district. Good luck regardless of your end decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top