U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:24 AM

11 posts, read 20,282 times

Advertisements

What school district do you work for? Do you have to pay extra for vision, dental, and kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymyhouse:) View Post
Like I said, that apparently varies between schools b/c next year my son will go to school w/my husband and they allow him to come to his room until teachers can go home.
But, yeah, we pay about $600/month for insurance, which includes vision, but not dental, for all 4 of us. Although if you have 1 child or 4 children, the cost is the same for dependents. And you only pay for it months Oct-June (8 mths = $1200/yr).
I'm just wondering if you meant to type a different amount for the price per month? $600/month for 8 months would be $4800/yr. I'm hoping it's only $1,200/yr. That seems more reasonable. That is really going to be a huge determinor for me, since I make a little less now and really get nothing to consider a raise each year, but I have two kids, good insurance, and don't pay anything for any of us for health, vision, and dental. The copays and deductables I found on the CMS website seem awfully high too and I've never heard of Indemnity (something like that). Does anyone know if that's pretty typical down there? I really want to move there and am hoping that it will be financially wise for me to do.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28105 View Post
I am partial to the Matthews area . I am a teacher and in our school your child can come to your class after the school day. On meeting days, you make arrangements but that only happens about once/week.
Are there a lot of schools in the Matthews area? The district is soooo huge I want to make sure I make the right choice if I'm offered my choice of schools. A friend moved from Michigan last year, is in her first year with CMS and was given a list and asked which one she wanted because there were so many openings. I have kids and really want to make an informed decision so they don't have to move again.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 4,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan teacher View Post
Are there a lot of schools in the Matthews area? The district is soooo huge I want to make sure I make the right choice if I'm offered my choice of schools. A friend moved from Michigan last year, is in her first year with CMS and was given a list and asked which one she wanted because there were so many openings. I have kids and really want to make an informed decision so they don't have to move again.
Yes, lots of schools within minutes, and all have very good reputations: Matthews Elem, McKee Rd Elem, Providence Spring Elem, Bain Elem, Crown Point Elem, Lebanon Rd Elem (not sure of Lebanon's reputation as far as scores go, but I have a friend who works there and loves the principal & staff). Those schools are all within 5-10 mins of the Matthews area. Further out (less than 20-25 mins) is McAlpine Elem, Hawk Ridge Elem, Flat Branch Elem (new in 2008-09), Endhaven Elem, Elon Park Elem. There is also a charter school in the Matthews area called Socrates Academy.. somewhat like a private school but open to the public (Socrates Academy - Home Page). Good luck in your decision!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 10,219 times
I am also considering relocating to this area, but the insurance is concerning me. I am in CA, yes the pay is much better here, it is sounding like the benefits are also. We get $800 dollars a month to spend on benefits. This can be configured any way we want. Medical for just the employee, medical for spouse, kids, dental, vision. Everything has a price tag. You can configure it how you want, but when you go over you have to cover the cost. Is it similar there? How exactly are the benfits calculated?

Also, we were considering Wake county but have heard several negatives to schools in that area. Any feedback?

Are SPED teachers in higher demand than GE teachers?

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 4,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiciee View Post
I am also considering relocating to this area, but the insurance is concerning me. I am in CA, yes the pay is much better here, it is sounding like the benefits are also. We get $800 dollars a month to spend on benefits. This can be configured any way we want. Medical for just the employee, medical for spouse, kids, dental, vision. Everything has a price tag. You can configure it how you want, but when you go over you have to cover the cost. Is it similar there? How exactly are the benfits calculated?

Also, we were considering Wake county but have heard several negatives to schools in that area. Any feedback?

Thanks for your help!
No nothing like that in NC. They do offer a "flex spending account" that you can use for any medical expenses (including over the counter meds) but it is money that YOU put into the account. The only benefit is that it goes in pre-tax $$, so your gross income is taxed after the flex $$ is taken out. Health insurance for NC teachers is basically a PPO network and you pay for dependents.

Don't know anything about Wake Co. other than they are the 2nd largest school system in NC and pay is comparable to CMS.

And YES, SPED teachers are in HIGH demand, as are OT's, PT's and SLP's.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:06 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,146,222 times
Well, I am working in Union County, so maybe it is different in CMS. I am not an elem. teacher anyway, so I have to pay for after school care regardless.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan teacher View Post
They really can't come to the room even though school is out? That doesn't make sense. That extra cost for health care is crazy! thanks for the information.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:09 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,146,222 times
Depends on what you mean by general ed.

Please know that getting your spec. ed. credential transfered could be a big issue. I have a friend who came here from CA as Spec. Ed. and he has had all sorts of problems. They even put him on day to day substitute status for almost 3 months, with very little pay and no benefits.

Don't know where you are in CA, I worked in LAUSD for 16 years and when I configured the pay difference, including benefits and retirement, pay here was literally 50% less. Oh, and not to mention I was required 28 additional days here to the school year.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiciee View Post

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,665,938 times
Quote:
Here's a question....if you are making more money in CA, am I correct that housing is more expensive? So, if you move to NC the pay might be less, but the housing is also less? Is that a correct assumption?
Yes, housing is much cheaper in NC than in CA or the Northeast. If you wanted to do a quick estimation of what you would earn as a schoolteacher in NC compared to the other places I cited, figure your salary at about 40% of what you would make in those other areas after your health insurance expenses are accounted for. I get a kick watching an episode of HGTV where they feature a 1300 sq ft patio home in an LA or San Diego neighborhood and then mention that "houses in this area typically go for $650,000 to $800,000" when a like house in the Charlotte area would cost about $150,000. For $800,000 in the Charlotte area, you can get a very substantial home. Also, as far as teaching, there is no tenure like most of the NE and CA - so it is very easy to fire a teacher down here.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, lots of schools within minutes, and all have very good reputations: Matthews Elem, McKee Rd Elem, Providence Spring Elem, Bain Elem, Crown Point Elem, Lebanon Rd Elem (not sure of Lebanon's reputation as far as scores go, but I have a friend who works there and loves the principal & staff). Those schools are all within 5-10 mins of the Matthews area. Further out (less than 20-25 mins) is McAlpine Elem, Hawk Ridge Elem, Flat Branch Elem (new in 2008-09), Endhaven Elem, Elon Park Elem. There is also a charter school in the Matthews area called Socrates Academy.. somewhat like a private school but open to the public (Socrates Academy - Home Page). Good luck in your decision!
thanks so much for the information. I will be coming down to look around next week and that information will be very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or