U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:46 PM

11 posts, read 20,287 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher (elementary) in Michigan and am in the process of applying to the Charlotte-Mecklenberg, Iredell-Statesville, and Mooresville school districts. I have two elementary school aged children. Any advice on specific schools to check into or avoid? Any areas to avoid or make sure I visit? I'm looking for a family friendly area, but not real expensive. I'm living on a teacher's salary. I would really like to teach in the same school my kids attend or at least be close by. If I get offered a job, it would be nice to know ahead of time if it's a school or area I would like my kids to attend or if I need to keep looking. I figured from around Statesville through Charlotte would be my range since the water and the city are close enough for comfort, but I don't know where to start looking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be visiting the week of March 24th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:13 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,148,443 times
Please know that even if you teach elem. and your children are elem., they will not be allowed to come to your room at the end of the day. NC is very different in that. You will have to pay for after school care and go and get them at the end of the day.

Please also be aware that your insurance will NOT cover your children and be prepared to shell out between $500-$650/month for their coverage.

So, you could potentially be looking at an additional $800/month for the above items, depending on the number of children you have.

Just trying to inform you before you get here.

Dawn

Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 PM

32 posts, read 25,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Please know that even if you teach elem. and your children are elem., they will not be allowed to come to your room at the end of the day. NC is very different in that. You will have to pay for after school care and go and get them at the end of the day.

Dawn
At my husband's school, they allow the kids to go to their parent's class @ the end of the day but obviously have to go somewhere else when there is a meeting. I think this varies between schools.

Health insurance doesn't "cover" your children but you "add" them on to your insurance policy (it is free for employee only). That $ amount is only paid for 8-10 mths/year, not the entire 12 mths (at least that is how we pay for it in CMS).

Old 02-29-2008, 11:45 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,148,443 times
And how much more is that coverage for the kids? In Union County, it is around $450-$600, depending on if you are adding a spouse or not. Also, this DOES NOT include vision or dental. That would be even more.

I think with the extremely low pay given to teachers, along with the very minimal health care coverage, it is a wonder teachers can make it here at all.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymyhouse:) View Post
At my husband's school, they allow the kids to go to their parent's class @ the end of the day but obviously have to go somewhere else when there is a meeting. I think this varies between schools.

Health insurance doesn't "cover" your children but you "add" them on to your insurance policy (it is free for employee only). That $ amount is only paid for 8-10 mths/year, not the entire 12 mths (at least that is how we pay for it in CMS).

Old 02-29-2008, 12:13 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,668,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
And how much more is that coverage for the kids? In Union County, it is around $450-$600, depending on if you are adding a spouse or not. Also, this DOES NOT include vision or dental. That would be even more.

I think with the extremely low pay given to teachers, along with the very minimal health care coverage, it is a wonder teachers can make it here at all.

Dawn
Dawn - I read in my old hometown paper that all of the teachers in Garfield called in "sick" today after being without a contract for so long. If NJ teachers got a typical NC contract the whole state school system would come to a grinding halt. "What, Pay for health care"? "Co-pays - what are those?" I guess that what could "charitably" be called a teachers union is run by Ben Dover and his wife, Eileen Dover.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:24 PM

11 posts, read 20,287 times
They really can't come to the room even though school is out? That doesn't make sense. That extra cost for health care is crazy! thanks for the information.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:10 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,174,106 times
My administration allows kids to go to their parent's classrooms. They have to set up alternative arrangements on staff meeting (or any other meeting) days.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 PM

32 posts, read 25,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan teacher View Post
They really can't come to the room even though school is out? That doesn't make sense. That extra cost for health care is crazy! thanks for the information.
Like I said, that apparently varies between schools b/c next year my son will go to school w/my husband and they allow him to come to his room until teachers can go home.
But, yeah, we pay about $600/month for insurance, which includes vision, but not dental, for all 4 of us. Although if you have 1 child or 4 children, the cost is the same for dependents. And you only pay for it months Oct-June (8 mths = $1200/yr).

Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 4,946 times
I am partial to the Matthews area . I am a teacher and in our school your child can come to your class after the school day. On meeting days, you make arrangements but that only happens about once/week.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:04 PM

429 posts, read 670,649 times
Kids have also been allowed to go to their parents room @ Bain Elem. in Mint Hill. Arrangements do have to made for childcare on Teacher work days. As others have mentioned this is probably different in each school. As for the insurance, is it still true that CMS employees who work full-time for a minimum of 5 yrs. are guaranteed their health coverage for life? I know this was one of the "perks" in yrs. past. I actually work with a retired school secretary and she is still covered under the school policy ten years after her retirement. This is a wonderful benefit to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or