Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Ok. I admit it. I don't get out enuff.

I work at home and cook at home and (A) it's just easy to stay home and eat and (B) I am funny about money. If I go out to eat, spend $60 and finish up and feel like it wasn't that great . . . I am calculating how many items I could have bought and what I could have fixed at home (usually several meals) that would have tasted better. I want really good food, w/ excellent service and a decent price point. Otherwise, I just wish I had stayed home.

So unless I have some reason to frequent a new restaurant (event, meeting friends, taking out client) I don't always know what is out there. I am pretty mundane about favorites. If I want a special evening out, I am not very imaginative - I stick to Noble's and Morton's. Now, in Kansas City, my favorite spot - even for lunch - was McCormick & Schmick's - but I have not been so impressed here. Maybe it is the atmosphere . . . seems noisy at both locations . . . but I admit it - I am not very imaginative once I find something I like and can count on (I also like Village Tavern for lunch).

Yesterday, I wanted a nice lunch in S. Charlotte so thought I would head to Dakotas, where I have not been since last year - maybe April. Much to my surprise, Dakotas is no more.

Maybe everyone in the universe already knew this . . . but I just wanted to weigh in on the New South Kitchen, wh/ is really just a transformation of Dakotas - same chef.

I think I liked the previous decor better . . . but the new decor is more "Savannah Style" and that works, too. A bit funky, more low-country and open.

But the food - wow! Everything I ordered was terrific. The price point was higher than I expected for lunch, but then . . . this was high quality food. I would describe it as fusion - South meets French meets Mediterranean. Surprising, eclectic and high quality.

I have decided this is gonna be my new hangout, LOL. I want to see them succeed and the quality of the food and offerings . . . I am not going to cook like this at home . . . so it is worth the $$$ to have their chef do it for me.

So please keep the New South Kitchen in mind . . . even their sweetened iced tea was just right.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-29-2008 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: misspell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times
I agree...Ani.
Thanks for lunch.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:05 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times
Where is the restaurant located?

Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I agree...Ani.
Thanks for lunch.
It would have been a delightful lunch had it been in the park w/ sandwiches, b/c good companionship is what makes for a special event!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:46 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,835 times
Default I am surprised I didn't see you

Not that I knwo what you look like but I parked right there and was walking around during that time of day. I love the gift store "Dazzle" I find so many great things there...one of my favorite gift stores here!

I wanted to try that place thanks! I like LePeep for brunch.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Where is the restaurant located?
In the Arboretum, next to Le Peep! They have a white awning and honestly, I gotta say . . . the way it reads "Kitchen and Bar" on it . . . I glanced over and thought it said "Kitchen & Bath" - therefore, mistook it for a bath and kitchen fixtures showroom! This is the same location where Dakota's has always been but w/ the decor change (exterior as well as interior) I was totally confused.

I want to see them succeed b/c the menu is very interesting - everything from shrimp and grits to a cornmeal battered Talapia (wh/ I had and OMG - it was terrific!!! Absolutely delicious). The flatbread - again - superb.

Intro Splash Page

Old 02-29-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
In the Arboretum, next to Le Peep! They have a white awning and honestly, I gotta say . . . the way it reads "Kitchen and Bar" on it . . . I glanced over and thought it said "Kitchen & Bath" - therefore, mistook it for a bath and kitchen fixtures showroom! This is the same location where Dakota's has always been but w/ the decor change (exterior as well as interior) I was totally confused.

I want to see them succeed b/c the menu is very interesting - everything from shrimp and grits to a cornmeal battered Talapia (wh/ I had and OMG - it was terrific!!! Absolutely delicious). The flatbread - again - superb.

Intro Splash Page
Don't know where Dakota's use to be. I do know where the Arboretum is. We use to live right beside the Arboretum. We use to ride bike to Ben & Jerry's alot. Wish there was a Ben & Jerry's Uptown.

Use to LOVE Newmarket Grille that use to be at the Arboretum.

How is the Arboretum now? When we left there...they had to put a Police sub-station there due to alot of undesirable activity with teenagers. THANK GOD there is a teen curfew in Mecklenburg County. I will not think twice about calling 311 if I see teens by themselves Uptown after the curfew!!!!

Do any parents really know where their kids are? It is quite sad!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Don't know where Dakota's use to be. I do know where the Arboretum is. We use to live right beside the Arboretum. We use to ride bike to Ben & Jerry's alot. Wish there was a Ben & Jerry's Uptown.

Use to LOVE Newmarket Grille that use to be at the Arboretum.

How is the Arboretum now? When we left there...they had to put a Police sub-station there due to alot of undesirable activity with teenagers. THANK GOD there is a teen curfew in Mecklenburg County. I will not think twice about calling 311 if I see teens by themselves Uptown after the curfew!!!!

Do any parents really know where their kids are? It is quite sad!
WalMart still causes a lot of congestion in the Arboretum. And please forgive me for the way this is gonna sound, but some of the people who frequent that WalMart . . . I can't figure out where the heck they live that would make it convenient to frequent the Arboretum. We are talking unkempt people - stringy hair, dirty clothes, dragging snotty-nosed kids who run wild (darting in front of cars, wh/ is plain scary). And I have seen kids spit out bubble gum on the sidewalks. Of course, it is worse in the summer. I just can't figure out where they come from. I know that sounds elitist but it does create a shabbiness in an area that should feel upscale, clean and safe. But I only see that kind of behavior right at WalMart.

The rest of the complex houses some really nice stores and restaurants. It is a high traffic area and you do have to be careful and notice other drivers as people do tend to kind of dart around, LOL.

I feel totally safe there - just watch the other drivers . . . and kids in the summer who are darting around WalMart. I saw one police car patrolling yesterday.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
WalMart still causes a lot of congestion in the Arboretum. And please forgive me for the way this is gonna sound, but some of the people who frequent that WalMart . . . I can't figure out where the heck they live that would make it convenient to frequent the Arboretum. We are talking unkempt people - stringy hair, dirty clothes, dragging snotty-nosed kids who run wild (darting in front of cars, wh/ is plain scary). And I have seen kids spit out bubble gum on the sidewalks. Of course, it is worse in the summer. I just can't figure out where they come from. I know that sounds elitist but it does create a shabbiness in an area that should feel upscale, clean and safe. But I only see that kind of behavior right at WalMart.

The rest of the complex houses some really nice stores and restaurants. It is a high traffic area and you do have to be careful and notice other drivers as people do tend to kind of dart around, LOL.

I feel totally safe there - just watch the other drivers . . . and kids in the summer who are darting around WalMart. I saw one police car patrolling yesterday.
And I am sure the parents let them spit their gum out and don't say a thing. My mother always had a saying that pretty much everything in life is how you are raised.

I am not a narc by any means. However when I see undesireable teens wondering around Uptown after the curfew...311 it is. Police response time is very fast. They have NO business out after 11pm Mon-Thur or midnight Fri-Sun. Where are the parents.

Also why do parents let there kids run up and down aisles in stores & restaurants. I just wanna back hand these kids & the parents too...lol!

We go to the Wal-mart mainly in Belmont NC. Takes us about 15-20 minutes to get there. It is new and has a very decent clientelle for a Wal-mart. Will be glad when the Super Target opens in Midtown.

Do you remember the Newmarket Grille? What a great reataurant with excellent food. They started in Winston-Salem and that location closed too.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
And I am sure the parents let them spit their gum out and don't say a thing. My mother always had a saying that pretty much everything in life is how you are raised.

I am not a narc by any means. However when I see undesireable teens wondering around Uptown after the curfew...311 it is. Police response time is very fast. They have NO business out after 11pm Mon-Thur or midnight Fri-Sun. Where are the parents.

Also why do parents let there kids run up and down aisles in stores & restaurants. I just wanna back hand these kids & the parents too...lol!

We go to the Wal-mart mainly in Belmont NC. Takes us about 15-20 minutes to get there. It is new and has a very decent clientelle for a Wal-mart. Will be glad when the Super Target opens in Midtown.

Do you remember the Newmarket Grille? What a great reataurant with excellent food. They started in Winston-Salem and that location closed too.
Well, my kids behaved so I don't get it when other people's don't. Or let me say - my kids acted up and I removed them from the premises so they did not disturb other people, LOL. No one has kids who are perfect all the time, of course, but I do not understand people who don't address the behaviors.

I am trying so hard to remember Newmarket Grille. Where in Winston? Were they near Hanes Mall? I swear I cannot remember the one in Charlotte. But if they were near Hanes Mall . . . there was a restaurant I used to love over near Hanes Mall but also near RR tracks, LOL. Heavens, I am bad on directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte