Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,241 times

Advertisements

I have a degree in marketing, and my soon to be wife has a degree in Health Science. We are looking to move to an area with more opportunity than what we have now. Currently we live in a small town in Georgia. Basically what I need is your opinion on where the best places are to live, cost of living, opportunities, things for fun, taxes, and what we can expect once we do move. It will most likely be closer to the end of the year before we move. I have done some research, and I'm siding with Charlotte as of right now. We plan on visiting both places before we move, but you don't really get a since of things until you actually live there.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 03:08 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Are you planning on moving without obtaining a job first?

Old 01-03-2017, 03:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
If you're just asking a vague question about "good places to live in the US", probably the General US Board, or its subforum "City vs City" are best to ask for comparing two different places in two states.

There is a forum for Charlotte, and one for Tampa in the FL forum.

Simply asking "Where are good places to live?" with no other parameters or info is too general for anyone to be much help.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:43 PM

810 posts, read 667,363 times
yea it's like saying you should live in Tampa because I said so.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:54 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugglehayden View Post
Basically what I need is your opinion on where the best places are to live, cost of living, opportunities, things for fun, taxes, and what we can expect once we do move.
Guessing you're a young couple. Not knowing what price ranges I'll just name a few areas and let you sort it out. Plaza-Midwood is a fun urban area with lot's of walkability and very close to uptown.

Not far is NODA. Vibrant nightlife, great restaurants. Neighborhood Theater is one of my faves.

The Southpark area consist of largely the mall and the surrounding businesses and neighborhoods. Lot's of new apartments recently built, expensive area for the most part. Further south is Ballantyne. Also on the high end for the most part.

University City is another option. The new light rail extension to UCity will open later this year.

Cost of living may be about the same as Tampa but don't take that as fact. My sister lives there and we often compare prices of certain "things" like car insurance, etc. Their property tax rate is a bit higher (I think she told me that) but they have no state income tax.

Fun things? We have a pretty nice greenway system for walking or biking. We have Carowinds amusement park, the National Whitewater Center, pro sports teams. Two and a half hour drive to ski-slopes. Three to four hours from the coast.

I can't tell you what to expect without knowing what you are expecting. Overall, the people are generally nice in Charlotte. As they are the times I visited Tampa. We have incredible Spring and Fall days. Summer is blazing hot and winter can be bitter cold in Jan/Feb but usually tolerable. I was in Tampa last Jan when it dipped to 37º but their cold spells are usually short-lived.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:23 AM

501 posts, read 529,042 times
I moved from Florida. Advantages are the lower taxes, i.e. flood, and property, etc. I like both places but to be honest, I need some change in temperatures and seasons and except for July, August and Sept, weather is great. I miss the Gulf Coast for fishing and diving. Honestly, Charlotte probably has more variety in job opportunities but are likely similar. I won't suggest any areas as it depends on your desires and nobody knows them. Overall, look at what is most important to you. You can adjust to all else.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:24 AM

776 posts, read 1,062,997 times
Its a vague question and i know both cery well having lived in Charlotte for 6 recent years until a year or so ago and traveling to Tampa quite often and actually doing the same research and deciding between both places as well for a summer move.

Its like this....

If you want to have a nice, quakity lifestyle and not be burden by certain factors that ordinarily may drive peoole nuts like super humid weathet or tourism then Charlotte is the ticket. I dont think i need to get into all the specifics since there are plenty to brag about but.....

If you want to have excitement and fun in your life and arent affraid to pay a little more for car and home insurance, Tampa can provide a more vibrant city with mych more happening than charlotte. Plus tampa has a lot of projects going on right now to revamp a lot of area that will attract a lot of people. Theres a few good viedos on YouTube if you search it. There are also some great news articles.

Its a very difficult decision vetween the two. Charlottes weather is more mild and seasonal. TAMPA is fun in tge sun. CHARLOTTE is a great place to raise a family i soeak from experience) Tampa is up and coming though and lays claim that ot is one of tbe 2 best places ok the country to raise a family.

If yiu wajt to direct message me ill share my thoughts on questions you may have. Good luck

Old 01-09-2017, 05:37 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Its a vague question and i know both cery well having lived in Charlotte for 6 recent years until a year or so ago and traveling to Tampa quite often and actually doing the same research and deciding between both places as well for a summer move.

Its like this....

If you want to have a nice, quakity lifestyle and not be burden by certain factors that ordinarily may drive peoole nuts like super humid weathet or tourism then Charlotte is the ticket. I dont think i need to get into all the specifics since there are plenty to brag about but.....

If you want to have excitement and fun in your life and arent affraid to pay a little more for car and home insurance, Tampa can provide a more vibrant city with mych more happening than charlotte. Plus tampa has a lot of projects going on right now to revamp a lot of area that will attract a lot of people. Theres a few good viedos on YouTube if you search it. There are also some great news articles.

Its a very difficult decision vetween the two. Charlottes weather is more mild and seasonal. TAMPA is fun in tge sun. CHARLOTTE is a great place to raise a family i soeak from experience) Tampa is up and coming though and lays claim that ot is one of tbe 2 best places ok the country to raise a family.

If yiu wajt to direct message me ill share my thoughts on questions you may have. Good luck

You did a good job in your assessment of the cities. I would add that living in Charlotte you have access to the mountains, which Tampa can't offer. Don't feel you can go wrong with either city.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:48 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
You did a good job in your assessment of the cities. I would add that living in Charlotte you have access to the mountains, which Tampa can't offer. Don't feel you can go wrong with either city.
Very true. This came up in our conversation
From charlotte you can be a lot of places in 7 or less hours and 7 hours from Tampa will get you to ... well more Florida cities or almost to Atlanta. So Charlotte wins tat hands down

Last edited by rtloucks; 01-09-2017 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: