U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:12 PM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times

Advertisements

I applied for a position in another state in the SE and was called by a recruiter who said the position I applied for was filled, however they have an opening for an even better position but it's in Charlotte. She asked if I had any interest in relocation to Charlotte. My first instinct was to say no since I've never even been to Charlotte but now it has me thinking I should at least explore it.

I'm living in Los Angeles for the past decade but I grew up in the midwest and am tired of California. California is too expensive for me and I'm a simple guy from the midwest who doesn't need or want the glitz/glamour of LA. I want a smaller feel back but not quite as small as I grew up (5,000 population).I've been doing some research and Charlotte looks like a lovely place. I'm in my 30s with a wife and toddler. We are homebodies and like smaller city life but enjoy the amenities of a bigger city without it being LA big. The original application was for a similarly sized city. My wife is supportive of wherever we move and I'm obviously getting her input on this as well.

I'm leaning towards going to the interview so I can at least see Charlotte and get a feel. The job would be with a large, well established company, and it pays the same as I make now but with a much lower cost of living so I could probably live a better life.

Just curious to get some thoughts from residents and what they'd do in my situation or if they think someone in my position, and my history, and outlook will enjoy living in Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 01:26 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,443,919 times
You should definitely at least visit and see what you think. There are many lifestyle options in the Charlotte area, including small towns outside the city in reasonable commuting distance. One thing to keep in mind is that Charlotte is basically a giant suburb surrounding a small urban core, so its neighborhoods would probably have a small town feel to you. Its very green, has lots of parks and greenways, nice cost of living and plenty to do.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:58 PM

3,416 posts, read 3,225,775 times
I grew up in the Midwest as well. I left the Midwest and moved to the DC area and spent a few years there. I was able to convince my husband to move to Charlotte. We are out of the rat race and we both like living down here. I like raising my kids down here. It has a similar feel to the Midwest for me without being in the Midwest again.

I work for a large company and I worked for them in the DC area. I was able to move down here and keep my salary and work from home. We made the move over 10 years ago and we did move back to the DC area for about 18 months about 7 years ago. Our kids were little then and so it was easy to move. They are now in elementary school and I wouldn't have wanted them to be in school up in the DC area. The commutes are long and everything is so spread out.

I think you should come and take a look. It doesn't hurt and if you like what you see go from there.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:37 PM

718 posts, read 729,544 times
Agreed.
we to moved from the midwest to DC for jobs then to charlotte for 6 years but have moved on since for "better things" but find ourselves getting ready to move back to Charlotte now. It isnt for everyone. I can see how it is a great place for family life as well as young professionals. The one complaint I always heard was from the late 20-early30somethings and the dating scene. It is small still which to me is great. It allows the residents to share a sense of pride. So many things to go do though in the area and within a short drive. I do think you need to see it and drive around first though. It is far different from California. Everything from the people to the scenery, the trees to the ocean, the humidity in the air, the small town charm. Its all too hard to explain but if you are looking for a new start it is great. If you are hoping it will be similar or share similar things to your life in CA. You will be disappointed. People work hard in Charlotte and don't have a laid back approach. They work hard so they can turn it off at then end of the day and enjoy the evening with their families and not work late or bring work home. Good luck in your decision

Old 01-05-2017, 08:17 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,806,277 times
I agree with the others who said you should at least check the city out. From what you described about yourself and family I think if all goes well and you get the job you would really like the change of pace. Charlotte is definitely much slower than L.A. and very family oriented. I also think you'll enjoy the lifestyle in the southeast region. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:04 PM

Thank you all for the information. I will report back after my interview and trip.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:01 AM

129 posts, read 151,790 times
Good luck with the interview

We relocated from NY about 2 years ago. Love the lower cost of living and the more relaxed lifestyle.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:02 PM

129 posts, read 194,055 times
You will love it here, I have met and worked with people who relocated from CA with Met Life and for them it was a "No brainer". They cost a living is a major factor. Good Luck

Old 01-09-2017, 02:09 PM

I'll be in town for my interview tomorrow. I'm actually waiting at the airport now to fly out. Very excited to check it out! I've done loads of research in the past few days and Charlotte seems like a great place.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
From what I'm reading, it sounds like Charlotte might be perfect for you. If there's any crowd the city caters to, it's young families. Charlotte certainly has big city amenities (major league pro sports, major events, lots of shopping options, etc.) and if you may need more from time to time, Atlanta is only a 3 hour drive away.

Out of curiosity, what is the city and state in the Southeast you were initially eyeing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or