Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state are you considering moving from
Florida 45 14.42%
California 27 8.65%
New Jersey 37 11.86%
Pennsylvania 13 4.17%
Connecticut 16 5.13%
NY - Long Island (Nassau/Suffolk) 44 14.10%
NY State - Greater NY (Not LI or NYC) 15 4.81%
NYC - 5 Boroughs 17 5.45%
Other US States 90 28.85%
Outside US 8 2.56%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:32 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
We are from Brooklyn, coming out in March to look around, hopefully we can find something in our price range. It is so past time to leave NY it isn't funny anymore. You know it is time to leave when your zoned HS is on NYC's top 3 worst list..
My kids are so excited at the thought of each having their own rooms and a swimming pool in the community. For me schools especially HS is the big one now. My daughter starts 9th grade in Sept. <gasp > where did the time go. I have looked at Matthews (kind of ironic as that is my sons name Matthew) and Indian Trail, still confused about it all and the school in the areas.

Here is one for all of you...If your school has a dress code on the elelmentary level what is the dress code? and tell me which school it is.

Thanks
Talia from Brooklyn who is counting the days to get out of here.

Talia, where in BK are you? I grew up in Bensonhurst, and moved to Jersey after I got out of college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 02:32 PM

235 posts, read 730,073 times
We are in Sheepshead Bay, still one of the last good areas and quickly changing..sad but true

Old 01-28-2007, 06:45 PM

35 posts, read 91,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
We are from Brooklyn, coming out in March to look around, hopefully we can find something in our price range. It is so past time to leave NY it isn't funny anymore. You know it is time to leave when your zoned HS is on NYC's top 3 worst list..
My kids are so excited at the thought of each having their own rooms and a swimming pool in the community. For me schools especially HS is the big one now. My daughter starts 9th grade in Sept. <gasp > where did the time go. I have looked at Matthews (kind of ironic as that is my sons name Matthew) and Indian Trail, still confused about it all and the school in the areas.

Here is one for all of you...If your school has a dress code on the elelmentary level what is the dress code? and tell me which school it is.

Thanks
Talia from Brooklyn who is counting the days to get out of here.
Not all schools in Union County have dress code. The middle school (Weddington) has a dress code - not the elementary. The dress code is casual tho - khaki or navy blue pants, white, green, navy blue t-shirts or polo shirts (all must be tucked in). No code on shoes. Moving here with a son gowing into 7th grade and a dress code on top of that was a struggle but we are all very glad we made the move! The new middle and high school (Marvin Ridge) have voted and will NOT have a dress code.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:32 PM

31 posts, read 125,490 times
Angry Moving from HI

Hi, we're moving from Waipahu, HI to Charlotte, NC in 8/07 becaue the schools here are some of the worst in the nation

Old 01-29-2007, 08:10 AM

349 posts, read 1,040,108 times
Wink Moving from Ohio

Hi All,
Moving from Ohio due to the lack of economic growth,highest unemployment rate in the U.S, and awful weather, high cost of living ( even for small cities).
Look forward to the hospitality of N.C and being closer to my sisi in Nebo.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:10 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
That was great info on weddington, I have to ask are you happy with the school?? Parent reviews on the greatschools site was a bit iffy...I have been looking at developments only where the new middle and High School are Marvin Ridge that is because of the mixed things Ive heard about weddington Middle and HS...the scores are great but I think thre are more to schools than Just the scores...any info would be appriciated..We are coming from Jersey...

Old 01-30-2007, 08:50 AM
ny4

67 posts, read 235,734 times
Default Moving from Staten Island

Planning also to leave NY soon...checked on the Charlotte/Lake Norman area last May..this April or May checking out Raleigh area. I loved the Lake Norman area...from what I heard, schools are better..who knows? You hear different things from different people...I was planning to build..but after hearing negative input regarding so many different builders..don't know what I will end up doing...

Old 01-30-2007, 10:16 AM

98 posts, read 259,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny4 View Post
Planning also to leave NY soon...checked on the Charlotte/Lake Norman area last May..this April or May checking out Raleigh area. I loved the Lake Norman area...from what I heard, schools are better..who knows? You hear different things from different people...I was planning to build..but after hearing negative input regarding so many different builders..don't know what I will end up doing...
My family and I are moving from Staten Island to Wesley Chapel, our home is being built by KB builders and so far so good. Our home will be ready in June 07. The area is being built up so much so therefore, new schools are being built also. The schools in this area are said to be excellent.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:05 AM

68 posts, read 185,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny4 View Post
I am from NY originally and now live in the Lake Norman area. I love it, and property taxes are one of the lowest in the state in Iredell county. Anyway you might want to check out these sights for schools and as far as builders go here are two communities to try; DR Horton or David Weakly developements they both build a very nice product.May I suggest in each community you are considering walk around talk to the people, that is always a good way to get some insight and people are usually very friendly and willing to give you their opinion. Also remember NC is a buyer beware state, so make sure you have a Realtor, so that you are protected, especially with new construction.I always try to remind clients to remember that builder Rep is just that representing the builder and their best interest not yours. Real estate and contract negotiations work a little differently here from NY.

www.schoolmatters.com
www.ncreportcards.org
Hope this helps a little. Good luck..

Old 02-02-2007, 07:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
Default We moved from LA, CA

We have lived here almost 2 years now. we are finally getting connected. I still miss CA terribly, but it is getting better.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte