U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-22-2007, 07:51 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,259,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
Just a question because I am NOT prejudice at all, but.....

Isn't it ok for people to "accept" gays, but not welcome it? Does that make sense? I don't think that people have to necessarily embrace everything. (gays, loud music, parents having too many kids, ect.) They do need to be civil and NOBODY needs to ever get hurt physically or be made to feel bad, but not everyone has to love it.
Good point--this would be called toleration.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,030 times
Default Charlotte bound

I am moving quickly (to Clt) for my job. Any thoughts (please help!) on urban safe townhouse/condo like neighborhoods that are gay-dense or friendly. IN Kansas City, we have certain area that are extremely diverse and friendly and cool, does that exist in Charlotte?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 PM

21,780 posts, read 37,979,039 times
Charlotte diversity is spread all over with no area segregated to any demographic part of its population.
Charlotte is divided more on your income than your race, ethnic, religion or sexual orientation.

Having said that it is known South End, Dilworth, Uptown, and Plaza Midwood neighborhoods are popular living spots in regards to what you are seeking.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 PM

43,756 posts, read 53,328,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Charlotte diversity is spread all over with no area segregated to any demographic part of its population.
Charlotte is divided more on your income than your race, ethnic, religion or sexual orientation.

Having said that it is known South End, Dilworth, Uptown, and Plaza Midwood neighborhoods are popular living spots in regards to what you are seeking.
Well said Sunny. We do not have any "gay dense" areas, but there is a gay community here for sure. More importantly, there are nice areas here in the places you listed above that any young newcomer would be able to meet new friends.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:02 AM

693 posts, read 1,393,688 times
To the original poster,

As a married DINK, I still worry about moving to Charlotte and that's just for being Jewish, married to a Catholic and BOTH LIBERAL DEMOCRATS :-) I lived most of my adult life in South Florida and New York and I'm temporarily stranded in NJ. We are making the move to Charlotte at year's end.

But I don't think we need to worry too long, with the migration of people from more liberal area of the East Coast where people are used to diversity, I think we will see an attitude shift soon. At the very least, you shouldn't have to look to hard to surround yourself with a like-minded circle.

kc2sweet4ne1, in no way attacking you personally, just trying to explain the concept..

"Accepting" means you are willing to look away from what you don't approve of, implying superiority and can be perceived as condescending... while "welcoming" or "embracing" indicates that you view someone as different, but equally valid and valuable to the community... with no value judgment attached.

Comparing gays to loud music, means you see them as a nuisance that you can overlook, Not as someone who will contribute to the community just a any of your neighbors would.

I hope my explanation makes sense, and that you didn't take it personally as it was not intended to be. My sister is a lesbian and she spent years getting this into my head.

Last edited by Damemeow; 10-23-2007 at 06:14 AM..

Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 AM

674 posts, read 31,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
But I don't think we need to worry too long, with the migration of people from more liberal area of the East Coast where people are used to diversity, I think we will see an attitude shift soon. At the very least, you shouldn't have to look to hard to surround yourself with a like-minded circle.
Excuse me, but you don't even live here nor have you spent a ton of time here, so how the hell would you know whether or not there is an "attitude" that needs to be "shifted"??

Ridiculous.

I have had many gay friends for over a decade and worked with the Metrolia AIDS project, and have not seen outright discrimination in Charlotte. It is largely accepted/tolerated whatever term you prefer. I would classify Charlotte as just as gay-friendly as most mid-size to large cities. Will you maybe see less tolerance a bit more in outlying communities? Probably. Are there people who do not agree with it? Um, yes just as everywhere in America. But if you go outside the city in NY, NJ, FL or any of your so-called "enlightened" areas, I have seen just as much ignorance and rednecky attitudes there.

So stop with the stereotypes because if you move here with the "we are going to save your community with our enlightened ways" attitude you won't make many friends.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:20 AM

395 posts, read 971,539 times
Quote:
To the original poster,

As a married DINK, I still worry about moving to Charlotte and that's just for being Jewish, married to a Catholic and BOTH LIBERAL DEMOCRATS :-) I lived most of my adult life in South Florida and New York and I'm temporarily stranded in NJ. We are making the move to Charlotte at year's end.

kc2sweet4ne1, in no way attacking you personally, just trying to explain the concept..

"Accepting" means you are willing to look away from what you don't approve of, implying superiority and can be perceived as condescending... while "welcoming" or "embracing" indicates that you view someone as different, but equally valid and valuable to the community... with no value judgment attached.

Comparing gays to loud music, means you see them as a nuisance that you can overlook, Not as someone who will contribute to the community just a any of your neighbors would.

I hope my explanation makes sense, and that you didn't take it personally as it was not intended to be. My sister is a lesbian and she spent years getting this into my head.
Wow. It seems a little ironic that you warn others against sounding superior and condescending and yet your own words indict you.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 AM

674 posts, read 31,525 times
Amen, 3 johnsons!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 AM

43,756 posts, read 53,328,551 times
Quote:
To the original poster,

"But I don't think we need to worry too long, with the migration of people from more liberal area of the East Coast where people are used to diversity, I think we will see an attitude shift soon"?????????????

Are you so blind as to not be able to see how very insulting your attitude about natives here is? This kind of attitude is EXACTLY what causes friction between the normally very welcoming natives and newcomers like yourself. At least we don't expect all of you to be narrow-minded - too bad you don't give all of us the same courtesy.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM

447 posts, read 1,254,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
"But I don't think we need to worry too long, with the migration of people from more liberal area of the East Coast where people are used to diversity, I think we will see an attitude shift soon"?????????????

Are you so blind as to not be able to see how very insulting your attitude about natives here is? This kind of attitude is EXACTLY what causes friction between the normally very welcoming natives and newcomers like yourself. At least we don't expect all of you to be narrow-minded - too bad you don't give all of us the same courtesy.
I too thought that we "educated" new comers would "save" Charlotte from its conservative ways. Well, after a reality check, I learned that Charlotte does not have to change because we are moving here. Furthermore, I don't want it to change. I left my more "cultured" old home because its quality of life and citizens literally sucked. The least I want to do is to recreate that same environment in Charlotte. Having said that, no, Charlotte does not have to change to a liberal left leaning party city. If you come down here thinking that you are going to "save" us from all that makes CLT attractive, then you won't like it here. Accept us for who we are, a charming SOUTHERN city that is both conservative but very accepting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte