U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:27 PM

834 posts, read 2,326,976 times

Advertisements

There is nothing misleading in any of my posts, and in fact nothing that I have said has been countered by any argument by anyone. I have simply been attacked personally. This is typical Charlotte, which was my original point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 04:33 PM

45,179 posts, read 57,334,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
There is nothing misleading in any of my posts, and in fact nothing that I have said has been countered by any argument by anyone. I have simply been attacked personally. This is typical Charlotte, which was my original point.
You are hijacking this thread - which is why I did not address any of your specific negative, incorrect statements.

If you wish to slam the things about Charlotte you don't like, please start a new thread. THIS one is for folks wanting to know about being gay and moving to Charlotte.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:35 PM

693 posts, read 1,456,096 times
I don't understand why you are ganging up on Vanyali. How can you find fault with someone who is seeking out challenging discourse. Doing so doesn't make someone "miserable", seeking out stimulating conversation makes someone thoughful and reflective.

What that has to do with how many smiles s/he wears day, I just don't know.
It seems that new people are welcome to this board only if they have no differing opinions, or if they do, they keep them to themselves.

And how does any of this help the original poster?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:39 PM

674 posts, read 91,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post

But as a white, straight, married mother of 2 stuck living in a better school district, I can tell you, it's hard for me to find acceptance. People here don't like you to open your mouth. Having an opinion about anything other than real estate or the Panthers marks you as a weirdo to be avoided at all costs. I swear, the conversations I witness here consist of people telling eachother in excruciating detail where their houses are (no, not giving directions, this is chatting, and there are all sorts of social signals buried in these discussions that is too boring to go into) and discussing laundry. If you bring up something as mild as a news piece on NPR, people here will literally turn their back and avoid looking at you ever again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
You need to get out more. I can also assist if you need help removing that stick.

The more I hear about people not being able to fit in, the more I realize it is not the city that needs adjusting, but the attitude of the transplant. I know many, many people that have moved to Charlotte from the liberal parts of the country and never express the whining attitude some of you do. The problem is not with Charlotte, it is with you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I do believe in life you get out of it what you put INTO it. Additionally, the way you treat other people sets a tone for how they will in turn treat you. Sure there are exceptions to every rule, and rude people do persist no matter how nicely you try to treat them - BUT - basically all of life is about attitude. Those of us with a good one seem to find what we want everywhere we go
Well said lovesmountains and carolinaguy! The fact that the poster thinks these are "personal attacks" that you wrote shows that she is a delicate little rosebud who makes a lot out of nothing.

I have lived in the city and the 'burbs, and have yet to encounter anyone who thought great conversation was discussing the best way to keep your husband's dirty drawers sparkling white. There is a lot to offer for all people but it's all about what you put out there.

You get what you give in life. If you are sitting around with people who only enjoy discussing Diaper Genies, then you need to get out more instead of giving a big thumbs down to the entire population of a large metro area.

Now I agree, time to get on track, but I think the "get what you give" advice holds true for our fact-finding original poster. You'll like it here, we promise!

Old 10-23-2007, 04:58 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,516,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
I don't understand why you are ganging up on Vanyali. How can you find fault with someone who is seeking out challenging discourse. Doing so doesn't make someone "miserable", seeking out stimulating conversation makes someone thoughful and reflective.

What that has to do with how many smiles s/he wears day, I just don't know.
It seems that new people are welcome to this board only if they have no differing opinions, or if they do, they keep them to themselves.

And how does any of this help the original poster?
Her blanket statements about the people in Charlotte is what got to me. She is obviously sheltered and doesn't get out much if all she hears is "laundry talk" etc. She must really only talk to a handful of people. I've never heard of such a thing.

And FWIW, while I do not agree with the lifestyle AT ALL, I have had many gay friends. There is a large gay community here and I've never known any of the ones I know to be all that concerned.

Having said that and back to the OPs original concers, I can assure you are likely to get some unwelcoming looks from people if you decide to be intimate in public. Yes, you will be welcomed down here, but not many people want to see you flaunt it. No one really even cares to see hetero couples making out in public.

So I guess the moral of the story is, show respect and you will be respected.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 910 times
Hi to all. My partner and I just moved to NC and we are in Statesville which is about an hour away from Charlotte. We also are looking to hook up with gay/lesbians to have as friends. We miss having folks over for dinner, hanging out on the back deck for cook outs, house parties (we're in our 50s and don't do the bar thing). We have each other, but it would be nice to find some "buds" like we had in Indiana.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM

628 posts, read 842,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdarvy View Post
Hi to all. My partner and I just moved to NC and we are in Statesville which is about an hour away from Charlotte. We also are looking to hook up with gay/lesbians to have as friends. We miss having folks over for dinner, hanging out on the back deck for cook outs, house parties (we're in our 50s and don't do the bar thing). We have each other, but it would be nice to find some "buds" like we had in Indiana.
I would start a new thread if I were you.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 8,971 times
If you decide to move to Charlotte check out the Plaza-Midwood area. It is very diverse and a fun place to live.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 AM

587 posts, read 1,013,557 times
shdarvy - Welcome to Charlotte! We just moved here in Feb. and have found people to be very friendly and social (at least in South Charlotte). I'm sure you'll find some buds (straight and/or LGBT) in no time!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 842 times
I am a Christian and I don't agree with your lifestyle, but you can live next door to me and I would love and respect you as Jesus would. Be Blessed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte