U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:27 AM

4 posts, read 29,263 times
Default Gay couple relocating to Charlotte area

My partner and I are seriously considering relocating to Charlotte and are visiting the area in January. What is the attitude regarding gays? Is there a large gay community in Charlotte (i.e. gay organizations, gay life, neighborhoods, activities)? Just want to ensure gays are accepted and there is a gay community that we can get involved with. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 PM

43,978 posts, read 53,863,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonros18 View Post
My partner and I are seriously considering relocating to Charlotte and are visiting the area in January. What is the attitude regarding gays? Is there a large gay community in Charlotte (i.e. gay organizations, gay life, neighborhoods, activities)? Just want to ensure gays are accepted and there is a gay community that we can get involved with. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
There is a fairly large gay community here - a friendly bunch, not radicals, which I would say is pretty well accepted by the vast majority of people. Even the ones who might not agree with the lifestyle are never rude enough to comment on it publicly. If you google the typical buzz words I feel certain you would find informative sites to answer your questions about specific events. One big one that has been really popular is gay bingo - and no you don't have to be gay to play The gay community puts this event on to raise money for different charities, while dressed in drag! Anyway, I know there is an actual community center, brand new, kind of like the gay chamber of commerce (sorry I don't know the exact name) where I know you would find much info. Good luck!

Old 12-03-2006, 04:50 PM

191 posts, read 704,072 times
Gay activities? Now THAT's funny!

Old 12-03-2006, 05:59 PM

43,978 posts, read 53,863,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaPGH View Post
Gay activities? Now THAT's funny!
??? Guess I don't see what's so funny?

Old 01-29-2007, 10:06 AM

943 posts, read 70,866 times
Default I have the same concerns

Hi: I hope you will answer this post. and if you moved to Charlotte, I hope it has worked for you. I am probably older I am 57, but I am considering retiring in the Charlotte area, since most of the usa retirement areas are to costly now, or overwhelmed with people, have had to choose other regions. I am originally from Massachusetts so North Carolina, would be a easy trip up rather than from Oregon where I live. However I have concerns, that its a shame that I or you or anyone has to consider whether we will be accepted there, if you add it up, it must be almost 80 percent of this country we may not be welcomed. With that said, I tried to contact the gay center of charlotte, I got no where for what ever reason, was not able to contact them, I tried a gay group for older guys, I never heard from them either, I am very concerned as to that might very well be what life is like there for many, at least those relocating, they might find a more closet type of setting, I don't want to offend anyone but it is the bible belt, and although I respect their views, I am not welcomed in their views, and have to plan accordingly. Please let me know if you moved there, and if so what you have found life is like there. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:16 PM

5,659 posts, read 17,771,101 times
Charlotte

Gay index: 119
Gay male index: 132
Lesbian index: 106

National norm: 100

Statistics were analyzed by Gary Gates, a demographer at the Urban Institute and co-author of The Gay and Lesbian Atlas.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:52 PM

3,059 posts, read 6,916,428 times
Wow. That is a very small population of gays. I am surprized actually in some ways but not in others.

I don't really know about the acceptance, but you can move next door to us!

Dawn

Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 PM

943 posts, read 70,866 times
Thanks for the replys, and yes DAWNW that would be nice to have nice neighbors like yourself. I got some replys everyone was nice, well one was very rude, but, whoever that one was, is of no importance to me, Most however gave it to me like it was, there was a small population of gays and it could be hard for some people moving here to find a comfort level, so I most likely would not choose charlotte at this point in time.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:18 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,001,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonros18 View Post

I posted on another thread I've been here for a short time and have seen quite a few gay people. You are welcome next to us too.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:34 AM

286 posts, read 635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Wow. That is a very small population of gays. I am surprized actually in some ways but not in others.

I don't really know about the acceptance, but you can move next door to us!

Dawn
Hey Dawn, dont worry honey-there are alot more, just not out of the closet yet You would be very surprised at how many-so where do you live lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte