U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 12:55 AM

19,813 posts, read 55,753,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
ALL of this begs the question: how do you tip at buffet restaurants such as Ryans and Golden Corral? I tip on the lower side always, but I still wonder what fine tippers do.
10% for buffets b/c they still have to set the table and clean it up after you. Also, at many fo this places, they are the ones to bring your water, cola, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 AM

19,813 posts, read 55,753,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Poor Baybook is getting destroyed for posting a response to the question. It did used to be 10% and there is nothing wrong with 10%. .......

I hate small tippers that do it for no reason, and people that leave $.93 on $67 either don't get what a tip is (as others have said the US is one of the few places that tip for average service), or are just clueless in life. I have often left a few dollars more as well to compensate for others.

Rant off...
I am old enough to remember when 10% was the expected rate and was considered the "correct" amount to tip. I also remember on my European travels that the tip was always included in the bill and one rounded up a few coins (of whatever country) for good service. Maybe some of the $.93 tippers are European?

Old 05-17-2008, 01:36 AM

6 posts, read 12,850 times
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
circumspect

Main Entry: cir·cum·spect Pronunciation: \ˈsər-kəm-ˌspekt\ Function: adjective Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French or Latin; Middle French circonspect, from Latin circumspectus, from past participle of circumspicere to look around, be cautious, from circum- + specere to look — more at [URL="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spy"]spy[/URL] Date: 15th century : careful to consider all [URL="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/circumstances"]circumstances[/URL] and possible consequences : [URL="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prudent"]prudent[/URL] <diplomacy required a circumspect response> synonyms see [URL="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cautious"]cautious[/URL]

great word ani...like doing crossword puzzles?

Hey eman,

Thank you for the Webster's input on our behalf - that's great! Will you be doing this in all the threads? Just think, our crossword vocabs will go up all across the city.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:45 AM

Wink Hungry already

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
I wasn't going to respond to this topic but had to after my pleasant experience this past week. Was out of town on business and went to a very nice restaurant. The waiter came to the table at the beginning of the meal and gave us a business card with his name, his cell phone number, the restaurant number and his manager's name. Then he told us that if we had any problems, please give his card back to the manager or call the manager and let him know what the problem was.
We had great service and after all was said and done, I think we left about 35% on a bill that was over $800.

Well I know you said you were not going to respond, but I am dying to know where you ate! I would bet the food is just as wonderful! I hope you tell!

Old 05-17-2008, 02:20 AM

Wink Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Please understand that the servers are at work 30 minutes early and 30 minutes after the last customer to prepare silverware and such for you. They are not the establishment's servers. They are the customer's servers. Think of it this way, would you hire a maid and expect her to clean your house for $3 an hour. If you say "yes" you have issues. When I sit in a booth with friends for a cup of coffee to talk in the warmth of a friendly environment, I tip the server on his or her work, but I also tip on the "real estate". When my bottom hits the seat, I am taking up a booth that server is expected to "service" and as long as I am there, the other servers get a customer to "balance" for me. Just because I don't eat doesn't mean I should not consider the real estate I am "renting". Anyone who says tipping is not a requirement makes me ashamed.

Even though tips are not expected in Germany (because they are paid more per hour), neither is excellent service (I've lived there). I don't remember one time that I did NOT wait for my drinks in Germany! If you expect something great, be willing to pay for it - this is AMERICA! Capitalism is not perfect, but it does fund our freedom (among other things) - so don't begrudge paying the servant who comes to your table and don't be stingy. Would you like the person buying your house to be as stingy?

"TIPS" To Insure Proper Service (or to ensure) - that's not excellent service, just proper. When you shortchange your server they have a hard time paying their car payment or rent on their apartment, but in the end it is your own reputation that suffers most.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:45 PM

237 posts, read 234,692 times
One thing I fail to understand , in a country where everybody seems to tip so liberally or should I say generously, it is so hard to raise minimum wages from the 1970's levels they are still in.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:12 PM

6,952 posts, read 12,432,281 times
I give 15 to 20% when eating in a restaurant. If Charlotte went non smoking in all their restaurants then I might even give a bigger tip now and then. Since they are not all non smoking I guess they don't want my business so they are getting no tip since I won't be eating in them. Non smoking restaurants are not all that common I find when visiting the area, and can be far and few between. Fast food restaurants are not my idea of eating out when away from home.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I give 15 to 20% when eating in a restaurant. If Charlotte went non smoking in all their restaurants then I might even give a bigger tip now and then. Since they are not all non smoking I guess they don't want my business so they are getting no tip since I won't be eating in them. Non smoking restaurants are not all that common I find when visiting the area, and can be far and few between. Fast food restaurants are not my idea of eating out when away from home.
There is over 1400 restaurants in Mecklenburg for you to choose from that are smoke free Mecklenburg County, NC - Digital Health Department

Old 05-18-2008, 05:53 AM

673 posts, read 2,434,018 times
I apologize in advance if this question has already been posed and answered on this thread, but this is a long one & I did not see this while skimming through it.

There are a lot of restaurants here that have walk-up service where you order at the counter & pay in advance, take a number & then go sit down to have your food brought to you by a server. What is good etiquette for tipping in this case? To tip or not to tip: that is the question - lol. I always leave a tip, but I wonder what others do & what percent to tip?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I apologize in advance if this question has already been posed and answered on this thread, but this is a long one & I did not see this while skimming through it.

There are a lot of restaurants here that have walk-up service where you order at the counter & pay in advance, take a number & then go sit down to have your food brought to you by a server. What is good etiquette for tipping in this case? To tip or not to tip: that is the question - lol. I always leave a tip, but I wonder what others do & what percent to tip?
That is a great question.
Do they get normal pay or server pay?
Showmars is prime example of this but I have never been to any Showmars that has had people to check up on you so I tip a little more than what I would for this type of restaurant.

The same with some of the "Honk for Service" restaurants in the area and Drive In's where they bring your food and basically are done with you how do you decide appropriate tip?

Then since most restaurants have their servers prepare your call in take out order do you tip them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte