Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:57 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,247,513 times

Advertisements

Funny how this topic came up today. Last night we went to our favorite Steakhouse in Greenville, NC. We both had a $5.00 coupon and a 10% off card. When our checks came we both calculated what the checks would have been before the discounts and we tipped 20% on that amount. 20% is the norm now. While we were doing this the manager who we know very well came over to our table and told us another couple came up to him and praised their server so much and even told him that they wanted her again when they come back. their bill was $67.07. They left her .93 cents. The young girl was crying and she is putting herself through ECU. This behavior is deplorable and we see it happen way too much. I have said this on another forum, if you can't afford the tip or don't want to tip, stay home and eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 03:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Funny how this topic came up today. Last night we went to our favorite Steakhouse in Greenville, NC. We both had a $5.00 coupon and a 10% off card. When our checks came we both calculated what the checks would have been before the discounts and we tipped 20% on that amount. 20% is the norm now. While we were doing this the manager who we know very well came over to our table and told us another couple came up to him and praised their server so much and even told him that they wanted her again when they come back. their bill was $67.07. They left her .93 cents. The young girl was crying and she is putting herself through ECU. This behavior is deplorable and we see it happen way too much. I have said this on another forum, if you can't afford the tip or don't want to tip, stay home and eat.
Well, that is just heinous behavior. There ought to be a blacklist - "These people will expect good service - but they won't tip!!!" Geeeezzzz.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:25 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,703 times
It should be noted that tipping is not the norm in Europe, and other areas of the globe, so if people are from other countries, they may not understand or remember the "way" yet...

My husband has the same requirement that QC mentioned:
Keep the drink full, and you get your full tip (or better if the service is good.)
The longer the glass stays empty, the more the tip goes down...

I give tips solely based on merit. I don't blindly reward bad behavior. However, if service is marginal, but I see that the place is busy and my server is busting his/her tail to get everyone taken care of, I am understanding of that.

I would complain to management during the meal, but I have a huge fear of someone doing something awful to my food.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:43 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,247,513 times
Anifani unfortunately, a restaurant can't blacklist for not tipping, personally, if I were the manger, (since they are on salary) and these people came in I would wait on them myself. What most people are unaware of is that these servers make a little bit over $2.00 an hour and rely on their tips to put themselves through school. Since they have to claim 8% a week of what the government thinks they are making sometimes they have a zero paycheck.

Ultraviolet, I did not know that there isn't any tipping in Europe, this indicates to me that they are paid well by the restaurants. Your husband is right, keep the glasses full and check on us and you will be well compensated.
This is a very good forum.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:05 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Tips are not required. They are for excellent service. Also, when did 15% become the minimum? I am in my late 30's. 10% has always been a baseline and ou can move up from there.

I tend to over tip... but it peeves me that there is an expectation about tipping. My tip is an extra - not an entitlement.
sorry baybook but 10% is not "overtipping". You're right, tipping is not required by law but it is the service industy and people work for tips, and in fact base pays are lower with the expectation of making up the difference in tips.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:16 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,230 times
20% unless the service is really lousy. Mostly because I'm too lazy to calculate 15% and 20% is easier, not to mention I know that waitstaff get very little money per hour in base salary.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
It should be noted that tipping is not the norm in Europe, and other areas of the globe, so if people are from other countries, they may not understand or remember the "way" yet...

My husband has the same requirement that QC mentioned:
Keep the drink full, and you get your full tip (or better if the service is good.)
The longer the glass stays empty, the more the tip goes down...

I give tips solely based on merit. I don't blindly reward bad behavior. However, if service is marginal, but I see that the place is busy and my server is busting his/her tail to get everyone taken care of, I am understanding of that.

I would complain to management during the meal, but I have a huge fear of someone doing something awful to my food.
Well, actually, that is a concern of mine, too. I am very circumspect about what type of complaining I do, also. I would have to think very very hard about sending food back the kitchen.

If I am in an upscale restaurant, my food has arrived, and my waiter is not to be seen again - to replenish bread, offer refills, remove the plates from a previous course, etc - that is when I go to the manager or Maitre D' and inquire as to why we are having a problem. However, this has been a very rare occurrence.

Also, if i am disappointed w/ a meal, I will not hold that against the server as long as he/she has done his/her job. I have asked to speak to the chef before, both to commend and to express my disappointment (in a very respectful way, of course).

If the meal is so bad people want to send food back, my assumption is everything is gonna be pretty lousy so best to just pay for the disaster and leave and never come back.

However, if it is an upscale restaurant, I will let someone know why I was disappointed and why I wont be coming back. Again, I do this w/ respect and simply to help the manager assess what is going on w/ quality issues. I was the food editor of a publication waaaayy back there in my career, and so I handle it that way - like I am doing a review and here is what I feel should be noted. I have always had a very warm response from staff when I approached things this way. In one situation, the chef was out due to surgery - and the kitchen staff really was a mess, and the manager insisted on comping our meal. I would agree only to comping the entrees, as they were awful. He asked me to please come back again and we decided things had been handled so nicely, we would do that. We had an entirely different experience the next time, plus the manager recognized us and sent over dessert - gratis!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:34 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, actually, that is a concern of mine, too. I am very circumspect about what type of complaining I do, also. I would have to think very very hard about sending food back the kitchen......- gratis!
circumspect

Main Entry: cir·cum·spect Pronunciation: \ˈsər-kəm-ˌspekt\ Function: adjective Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French or Latin; Middle French circonspect, from Latin circumspectus, from past participle of circumspicere to look around, be cautious, from circum- + specere to look — more at spy Date: 15th century : careful to consider all circumstances and possible consequences : prudent <diplomacy required a circumspect response> synonyms see cautious

great word ani...like doing crossword puzzles?

Old 02-29-2008, 04:52 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Tips are not required. They are for excellent service. Also, when did 15% become the minimum? I am in my late 30's. 10% has always been a baseline and ou can move up from there.

I tend to over tip... but it peeves me that there is an expectation about tipping. My tip is an extra - not an entitlement.
I think I'd chase you out the door and beat you over the head with that 10%!

Anyway, tipping for me starts at 20% and can go down or up from there. Very rarely do I ever tip 15% and it's for the worst of service. 17-19% for mediocre service. 20% to meet my expectations and up to 25% for exemplary service. 9/10 outings the server will be getting 20%. It's just the way I roll, yo!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
circumspect

Main Entry: cir·cum·spect Pronunciation: \ˈsər-kəm-ˌspekt\ Function: adjective Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French or Latin; Middle French circonspect, from Latin circumspectus, from past participle of circumspicere to look around, be cautious, from circum- + specere to look — more at spy Date: 15th century : careful to consider all circumstances and possible consequences : prudent <diplomacy required a circumspect response> synonyms see cautious

great word ani...like doing crossword puzzles?
HA HA HA - love them on airplanes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte