Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 07:47 AM

7,183 posts, read 6,762,146 times

Advertisements

Walmart is closing its Neighborhood Market on Independence Boulevard in Charlotte | The Charlotte Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,588,821 times
hmmm... while I use that Walmart from time to time I use the Super Walmart more often.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:30 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,290,519 times
I've been there a few times, the lines were always short and sometimes no line at all. When would that happen at a normal Walmart?

This is the first I've heard of any Walmart store closing.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:03 PM

386 posts, read 363,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
In 2016, Walmart reportedly closed a few hundred of its' various stores. No big surprise, retail's being killed. Not so different from other businesses and stores; big, small, and speciality (e.g., Walmart's specialty small stores and small grocers alike) low sales, low bottom line profits, and bad locations matter.

For some open-minded people living near the closing Walmart store and others interested in fairly diverse international foods, the excellent Super G (global) Mart may be a great alternative. It's no Trader Joes, Publix, Harris Teeter, etc., but Super G's great for many legit Asian, Latin American, spices, some C&E European, etc foods, cooking equipment, pottery, etc., typical and more global fruit, veggies, meats, fish, etc. They also serve Korean and some Chinese meals, have a HK-style bakery, a post office, and a better location in the same strip shopping center as the failed Walmart Neighborhood Market store. Different target market perhaps, but well worth a visit - albeit perhaps a tad eye opening for a few sensitive US-born eyes.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,052,301 times
Super G is the best grocery store in Charlotte by a mile.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Super G is the best grocery store in Charlotte by a mile.
I dont know if its the best but I appreciate it. There are some unique items I cant get anywhere but the Super G.

Awesome fish selection and if you get there early you can get live crabs.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:10 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,475,084 times
I'm thinking that's more to do with the location than with the concept.

None of the big store tenets seem to last in that shopping center.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:17 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,468,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I've been there a few times, the lines were always short and sometimes no line at all. When would that happen at a normal Walmart?

They closed a store here in Durham last year, partially because of theft.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 AM

386 posts, read 363,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I dont know if its the best but I appreciate it. There are some unique items I cant get anywhere but the Super G. Awesome fish selection and if you get there early you can get live crabs.
Way off the initial Walmart store closing topic, but Super G's relatively clean, Asian-oriented fish selection comes without extortion prices accommodated by some patrons of a certain CLT fish store.

For Chinese-specific products, ingredients, fish, produce, etc., Grand Asia in Stallings is a complementary alternative to Super G. An added bonus to Grand Asia's great products, they offer a fair dose of culturally legit aromas and gruff service to boot. Some U.S. born Americans and others who have not travelled nor experienced much outside their comfort zones may be a bit put off, but the latter observations are shared only in a good way.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm thinking that's more to do with the location than with the concept.

None of the big store tenets seem to last in that shopping center.
I think it's because there is a Super G in the same lot, a SuperWalmart at Galleria, an HT at Galleria and a FoodLion at Galleria... and a SuperWalmart 3 miles up the road by Sharon Amity on Independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte