Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:40 PM

167 posts, read 474,000 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Philadelphia and New York before here and I've always managed to find other people that were into it like me. Clearly, in NY it's probably more common to find people who are into it than in Philadelphia- but Phila still had a solid understanding of it.

but so far I haven't met other people that either know it or are into it- or people who have been to a Carnival or a US-based event like Brooklyn Labor Day or Miami or ATL or DC.

CLT doesn't yet strike me as a place that would embrace it like a NY, DC, ATL, or Miami- and it's not going to be a dealbreaker if people here don't like it because I travel a lot and can get my fix where appropriate- but I would like to know if there are venues that play it or if anyone who is a transplant is into it I'd love to know who you are.

Thanks.

Last edited by remedy a4; 02-29-2008 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 PM

157 posts, read 790,701 times
You might want to try the Reggae club on Plaza. I would imagine they would jam soca from time to time.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 AM

245 posts, read 881,252 times
so there is a reggea club in CLT? thank you jesus!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:24 AM

157 posts, read 790,701 times
Yes, I believe there is also a Kalypso club on North Tryon, just north of Eastway...

Old 03-02-2008, 10:30 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
Go to the Crystal on the Plaza. It's the only club in Charlotte so far that I know about, which stays open at least to 5 am. Only serve soda and water after 2 am. Everything here is Irie.... Good luck, but it does offer the Carribean community a taste of home.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:07 PM

167 posts, read 474,000 times
any new NYC or MIA people now living in Charlotte that know how get on bad?

this city is KILLING me

at least I made it to NYC for Labour Day saw Machel on Wall St, Kes The Band in Brooklyn and did make it to ATL for mas as well but geeeez this city is killing me

HELP!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:33 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
Remedy a4, you missed the Carnival Parade held here in Charlotte. No, it's not like Brooklyn or Miami, but nevertheless something was held here at Hawthorne's Park. Although, extremely small we still enjoyed the music, costumes and food nonetheless. The entire procession was small scale, but Charlotte does not have a large Carribbean family. Until than enjoy what it offers and travel to Atlanta, Miami and NYC to rejuvenate yourself. Embrace your new home.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:54 PM

233 posts, read 906,682 times
Default Get Something and Wave!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
any new NYC or MIA people now living in Charlotte that know how get on bad?

this city is KILLING me

at least I made it to NYC for Labour Day saw Machel on Wall St, Kes The Band in Brooklyn and did make it to ATL for mas as well but geeeez this city is killing me

HELP!

Okay, Remedy A4, you can always get things started... I have friends going down to Miami this month to play mas. This can be done here in CLT with the proper organization and support from the Soca lovers. In my opinion, carnival was not advertised well. Too short of notice.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:41 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
I've lived in Philadelphia and New York before here and I've always managed to find other people that were into it like me. Clearly, in NY it's probably more common to find people who are into it than in Philadelphia- but Phila still had a solid understanding of it.

but so far I haven't met other people that either know it or are into it- or people who have been to a Carnival or a US-based event like Brooklyn Labor Day or Miami or ATL or DC.

CLT doesn't yet strike me as a place that would embrace it like a NY, DC, ATL, or Miami- and it's not going to be a dealbreaker if people here don't like it because I travel a lot and can get my fix where appropriate- but I would like to know if there are venues that play it or if anyone who is a transplant is into it I'd love to know who you are.

Thanks.
Have you checked out LaTorre's on 5th St. They usually start the Latino dancing after 11:00pm. Check around, there are places. I enjoy soca after living in Latin America, but am too new to the area to actually partake at this time.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,466 times
Default Which Trinidad soca artist song was used in a blockbut Paramount movie

Sure you don't know. Hint, sang with Xtatic. Still dont know.
Sean Caruth. Song was Accident. The movie was The Wild Thornberrys Movie
check his web site [url=http://www.seancaruth.com]Soca, Sean Caruth, Soca Artist, Soca, Soca Music, Ragga Soca, Groovy soca, Calypso, Sean Caruth Musician, Sean Caruth Composer, Soca Monarch[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte