Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 14,336 times

Advertisements

I found the perfect home in Marshville on my recent trip and want to make an offer. It is near, but not right on top of 2 buildings that look like chicken farms on Pleasant Hill Church Road. Would anyone please be kind enough, if you have ever lived or do live near a chicken farm -- is the smell just awful in the summer heat and humidity? Should I give up on this "perfect house". PLEASE HELP WITH AN HONEST ANSWER - I thank you so very much for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 05:53 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
I was in the chicken business for a long time. I think you will find that it smells at all different times of the year and day. If the wind catches it right it will smell. When they clean out the houses, and by clean out I mean remove the grown chickens for slaughter they leave the house open to dry out and be cleaned and it gets pretty stinky.

I would stay away from this if you think it will bother you.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
My grandfather, on-the-side, did maintenance work (ventilation) on many chicken farms in the area- as a small child in the summers I would 'help' him.

It always stinks, just depends on the wind whether it will bother you or not...

I personally would skip on the property, but it is your dime.
Knowing people that owned large chicken houses [their income], they always lived a few miles away.
It is what it is, but still may be better since you appear to be 'escaping' from NJ and monstrous taxes...

Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 PM

175 posts, read 412,593 times
SKIP IT! Lived 1/2 mile away from some for ten years. Not only do they smell in the summer...it is a year round thing. If the wind is right...you are smelling it. And FORGET being outside, that ain't happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte