U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:31 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,023,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Butler HS, and South Meck HS with the same rating as Myers Park HS?

Apparently greatschools placed significant weight on something they title as "Equity" which is essentially a measure of diversity. And of course "diversity = good."

What a useless site.
If you do the math, equity wasn't the driving force behind the numbers. It was Student Progress. That is a 25% weight in their scoring and South Meck and Butler students are showing bigger improvements in test scores on a year - over - year basis than Myers Park.

South Mecklenburg High:
College Readiness (39% weight): 9/10 (3.51)
Student Progress (25% weight): 10/10 (2.5)
Test Scores (21% weight): 8/10 (1.68)
Equity (15% weight): 4/10 (.6)
Total Points: 8.29

Myers Park High:
Student Progress (25% weight): 9/10 (2.25)
Test Scores (21% weight): 9/10 (1.89)
Equity (15% weight): 2/10 (.3)
Total Points: 7.95

Butler High:
Test Scores (21% weight): 6/10 (1.26)
Total Points: 7.87

The equity ranking also might be relevant to some families. For example, South Mecklenburg is 27% black and 57% of black students are proficient in Math. At Myers Park High, the school is 25% black, and 37% of black students are proficient in Math. If a black family is looking to pick a school, it might be concerning to them that black students are 20% lower on math proficiency at Myers Park than South Meck. When you look at Low Income students, Myers Park High's low income students are performing at or below the state average for low income students. At South Meck High, low income students are performing 10 - 15 percentage points higher than the state average for low income students, indicating the school is doing a better job teaching students that often have less resources to succeed at home. For some parents, it may be concerning that a school has such a large gap in academic achievement between students on the same campus. For other parents, that isn't important to them.

Greatschools is just one ranking site as well. As seen in the state's ranking of high schools just completed for college readiness, Myers Park scored a 68.5 - higher than Butler or South Meck. Carolina schools hub, the state's letter grade system, US News & World Report, etc.... all provide different ranking views. Nothing is probably more important than an informed decision.

Last edited by CLT4; 10-26-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 12:54 PM

319 posts, read 180,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So which of these three are you saying should be rated higher?
I'm admittedly ignorant to the goings-on in any of these schools, and things could certainly have changed but I'm unaware that Butler's reputation is remotely close to MP's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Having exposure to people who are culturally and economically different than you are is also "education".
I think there is certainly something to be gained by surrounding yourself with "diversity of thought" but I don't buy into that being aligned with racial diversity which is what this has become.

Also, while being in a multi-cultural classroom sounds like a liberal's wet dream, one would think any significant culture difference is at least as much an impediment to learning as it is something to be forcibly learned. Specifically, the need to cater the lesson to correct for any culture's different perception of things, or language barriers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
If you do the math, equity wasn't the driving force behind the numbers. It was Student Progress. That is a 25% weight in their scoring and South Meck and Butler students are showing bigger improvements in test scores on a year - over - year basis than Myers Park.

South Mecklenburg High:
Test Scores (21% weight): 8/10 (1.68)
Total Points: 8.29

Myers Park High:
Student Progress (25% weight): 9/10 (2.25)
Test Scores (21% weight): 9/10 (1.89)
Equity (15% weight): 2/10 (.3)
Total Points: 7.95

Butler High:
Test Scores (21% weight): 6/10 (1.26)
Total Points: 7.87

The equity ranking also might be relevant to some families. For example, South Mecklenburg is 27% black and 57% of black students are proficient in Math. At Myers Park High, the school is 25% black, and 37% of black students are proficient in Math. If a black family is looking to pick a school, it might be concerning to them that black students are 20% lower on math proficiency at Myers Park than South Meck. When you look at Low Income students, Myers Park High's low income students are performing at or below the state average for low income students. At South Meck High, low income students are performing 10 - 15 percentage points higher than the state average for low income students, indicating the school is doing a better job teaching students that often have less resources to succeed at home. For some parents, it may be concerning that a school has such a large gap in academic achievement between students on the same campus. For other parents, that isn't important to them.

Greatschools is just one ranking site as well. As seen in the state's ranking of high schools just completed for college readiness, Myers Park scored a 68.5 - higher than Butler or South Meck. Carolina schools hub, the state's letter grade system, US News & World Report, etc.... all provide different ranking views. Nothing is probably more important than an informed decision.
It does seem like Carolina Schools Hub is a bit more in line with my perception of the schools I'm familiar with. Thank you for bringing that other site more attention.

I suppose parents can choose whatever criteria they want in choosing a school for their kids but I'm not sure that's a useful way to use the data...specifically if it's being weighted into such a broad rating system for all students.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:06 PM

667 posts, read 530,040 times
Quote:
I think there is certainly something to be gained by surrounding yourself with "diversity of thought" but I don't buy into that being aligned with racial diversity which is what this has become.

Also, while being in a multi-cultural classroom sounds like a liberal's wet dream, one would think any significant culture difference is at least as much an impediment to learning as it is something to be forcibly learned. Specifically, the need to cater the lesson to correct for any culture's different perception of things, or language barriers, etc.

Yes, teaching kids to be able to work with a variety of different perceptions and learning styles is a "totally" unnecessary skill set for when they go out to work in the real world.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:10 PM

990 posts, read 1,197,230 times
Quote:
I'm admittedly ignorant to the goings-on in any of these schools, and things could certainly have changed but I'm unaware that Butler's reputation is remotely close to MP's.

It does seem like Carolina Schools Hub is a bit more in line with my perception of the schools I'm familiar with. Thank you for bringing that other site more attention.

I suppose parents can choose whatever criteria they want in choosing a school for their kids but I'm not sure that's a useful way to use the data...specifically if it's being weighted into such a broad rating system for all students.

So learning to interact with others outside of your socioeconomic group, with different view points and thought process isn't something you think is a valuable skill and needed in the real world? Your perception of the schools? So the rich kids in the nice neighborhood MUST be smarter and have a better school huh? The thought process with a lot of people on this forum is amazing.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:49 PM

[quote=pumbaa;49940468]So learning to interact with others outside of your socioeconomic group, with different view points and thought process isn't something you think is a valuable skill and needed in the real world?

Don't twist my words...I've already spoken to the importance of interacting with different view points (diversity of thought). Those people with different opinions and experiences don't necessarily align with different socioeconomic groups or other irrelevant ways we insist on dividing ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Your perception of the schools?
Yes, personal experience, the experience of friends, current students, teachers, etc.

Quote:
So the rich kids in the nice neighborhood MUST be smarter and have a better school huh?
There may be tendencies for such things, but I didn't suggest that it had to be or that it definitely was in this case.

Quote:
The thought process with a lot of people on this forum is amazing.
I wouldn't say it's amazing. You're not interesting in hearing what is being said you're more interested in attacking things I haven't said.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 PM

990 posts, read 1,197,230 times
[quote=Eristic1;49941539]
Quote:
So learning to interact with others outside of your socioeconomic group, with different view points and thought process isn't something you think is a valuable skill and needed in the real world?

Don't twist my words...I've already spoken to the importance of interacting with different view points (diversity of thought). Those people with different opinions and experiences don't necessarily align with different socioeconomic groups or other irrelevant ways we insist on dividing ourselves.

Yes, personal experience, the experience of friends, current students, teachers, etc.

There may be tendencies for such things, but I didn't suggest that it had to be or that it definitely was in this case.

I wouldn't say it's amazing. You're not interesting in hearing what is being said you're more interested in attacking things I haven't said.
I read exactly what you said. That rating site aligns with your "perception" of the schools, as in because Myers Park is in the area it is in it must be the best and no other school could possibly be rated higher. Meanwhile Butler has been highly rated by Newsweek for 2-3 years at this point. Also I am not the only poster in this thread now that I have reread the last 2 pages that got the same idea and context from your words as I did not see UDcc123's post before I posted who basically said the samething.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:06 PM

[quote=pumbaa;49943517]
Quote:

I read exactly what you said. That rating site aligns with your "perception" of the schools, as in because Myers Park is in the area it is in it must be the best and no other school could possibly be rated higher. Meanwhile Butler has been highly rated by Newsweek for 2-3 years at this point. Also I am not the only poster in this thread now that I have reread the last 2 pages that got the same idea and context from your words as I did not see UDcc123's post before I posted who basically said the samething.
My perception has nothing to do with the area the schools lie in, but on the impressions by those who teach at or attend the schools or the parents of, that's the key difference here.

I wonder what criteria uses for school ratings...perhaps somehow magically crediting schools for "diversity" instead of quality of teachers and academic development and success of the students...the important things.

I understand that multiple posters somehow deduced my impression was based on the area the schools are in despite never speaking to that point, and explicitly citing other criteria...I can't help poor reading comprehension of others.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:35 PM

5,905 posts, read 7,763,595 times
Quote:

My perception has nothing to do with the area the schools lie in, but on the impressions by those who teach at or attend the schools or the parents of, that's the key difference here.

I wonder what criteria uses for school ratings...perhaps somehow magically crediting schools for "diversity" instead of quality of teachers and academic development and success of the students...the important things.

I understand that multiple posters somehow deduced my impression was based on the area the schools are in despite never speaking to that point, and explicitly citing other criteria...I can't help poor reading comprehension of others.
I'm not sure "diversity" really factors much in the great schools rankings - many of the top ones are not very diverse.

Actually it looks like some of the rankings from the OP have changed.

All 3 of Butler, Myers Park and South Meck dropped from 9 to 8.
Hough dropped from 10 to 9.
Marvin Ridge dropped from 10 to 8.
Weddington increased from 8 to 9.
Hickory Ridge dropped from 9 to 7.
East Meck dropped from 8 to 7.
Independence dropped from 8 to 7.
Lake Norman dropped from 8 to 7.
Fort Mill increased from 8 to 9.
Porter Ridge dropped from 7 to 5.

To name a few

Old 11-26-2017, 04:25 AM

22,033 posts, read 27,331,870 times
WSOC recently announced that Highland School of Technology was named a Blue Ribbon school.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:13 PM

96 posts, read 50,668 times
Providence, Audrey Kell, South Meck, Butler, and Marvin Ridge may all have good test scores but the kids are miserable. The schools feed in from mostly good neighbourhoods but the parents are cattier than the students and don't give them the love they need, they just throw money at the problem. Three of my children went to these schools and plenty of parents I know sent their kids to these schools, and they all say the same thing. The schools push them HARD for good grades and it kills them. There is a ton of bullying and drug use at all of these schools. There have been two kids who committed suicide from Providence in the past 4 years, not to mention the obvious eating disorder epidemics. Grades aren't everything, the health of our children matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte