Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2006, 04:11 PM

286 posts, read 946,394 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to charlotte from utica ny this spring, as always i hear wonderful things about n.c- but this same phrase continues to pop up and i am not sure i understand it- it is a little bit slower???
Paced?-what-someone please explain
Thank you
Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 07:25 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times
Most things are a little more "relaxed" in the south!

Old 12-02-2006, 05:33 PM

291 posts, read 1,113,843 times
I'm with Xray- been hearing the same thing and still don't quite get it. What does a little slower mean exactly? I mean, I can obviously understand the phrase itself, but can you be more specific and maybe give comparisons or examples? Thanks!

Old 12-02-2006, 05:45 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,954 times
My honest opinion is that if you're moving to the Charlotte area, you're not going to find it significantly slower paced than what you're probably accustomed to. I find folks to be more relaxed, kinder overall, but Charlotte is still a city and the areas around it are suburbs populated by transplants. With that in mind, how much slower can it really be?

Sincerely,

SL

Old 12-03-2006, 11:29 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,136 times
The biggest thing that I see is slower cashiers at stores. A lot of the time you'd figure , oh only one person in front of me, should be quick. But by the time they ring up the sale, chit chat, make change, etc.. It seems to take forever at times. Even in gas station stores, slow moving at times.

I'm used to it now but it definitely took a little adjustment.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:03 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
As I see it, "slower" means we take time out to talk to each other in a lot of cases (keep in mind, these are general statements). There's not this extreme "rush, rush, rush" that you see in many very large metro areas. My wife and I made an agreement years ago that we weren't going to be one of those families who tries to put 25 hours worth of things to do into a 24 hour day. It was the best thing we coulnd've ever done for our family, worth more than any amount of money. We actually enjoy life and our time together; going to Reedy Creek Park for hours and not being rushed, sitting out on the patio relaxing/reading with few times constraints, spending 45 minutes talking to a neighbor over the back fence, hearing the neighborhood kids playing outside instead of stuck in front of a TV monitor, sitting at an outdoor cafe uptown and striking up a conversation with someone you don't know. I could go on and on. That's how I see "slow". It actually allows you to enjoy life! Wouldn't have it any other way!!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:08 AM

474 posts, read 1,749,190 times
Tim, it all depends on perspective and your personal experiences. If you were coming from NYC, Boston, Philly, etc., I think you'd find Charlotte to be quite a bit slower. Coming from Utica, I don't think that'll be the case. In fact, it'll be more hectic - especially the traffic. I went back to Utica last year for a visit and it was like everything was in slow motion. It was actually pretty relaxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte