U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,471 times

Advertisements

Hi:
I've lived in Charlotte since 1985. Charlotte has gotten too big and congested for me. (the traffic stresses me out). I would like to retire to a smaller town as close as possible to my sons who plan to stay in Charlotte. My dream is a small town where I can find a new 1 story home for under $200,000 in a wooded area. It would be great to be near a lake, a college, and a quaint main street with shops and restaurants.

I've looked at the obvious choices: Waxhaw, Ft. Mill, Davidson, Cornelius but the home prices are too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 03:07 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdwyer View Post
Hi:
I've lived in Charlotte since 1985. Charlotte has gotten too big and congested for me. (the traffic stresses me out). I would like to retire to a smaller town as close as possible to my sons who plan to stay in Charlotte. My dream is a small town where I can find a new 1 story home for under $200,000 in a wooded area. It would be great to be near a lake, a college, and a quaint main street with shops and restaurants.

I've looked at the obvious choices: Waxhaw, Ft. Mill, Davidson, Cornelius but the home prices are too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Look to the west. You might find the right size & style of house, but it might not be new, in any direction, but you will find lower real estate prices west of Charlotte.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:39 PM

2,862 posts, read 1,989,625 times
I think Southbound_295 has a good suggestion, depending on what part of the metro area you'd be most interested in.

Another suggestion would be Albemarle and Stanly County to the east, which would fit much of your criteria, and are still more laid back without all the congestion and rush-rush-rush of Mecklenburg and increasingly much of Cabarrus County.

The eastern part of the county borders Lake Tillery and Badin Lake, which also border the Uwharrie National Forest across the lake in Montgomery County, so they are much more wooded and natural feeling than anything you'd experience at Lake Norman.

The northern part (Misenheimer) of the county has Pfieffer University, although it's a pretty small private university that's not much bigger than a typical high school.

The southwest corner of the County (Locust) has been the fastest growing area in Stanly County, so it's the most likely to be Charlottized or Concordized with the metro steadily creeping towards it.

Albemarle itself has a charming, established downtown without the faux urbanism of some of the region where development has been quickly built to look 100 years old, but come across as doing so artificially, like a theme park.

A nice home (if not new, newer) for $200K would be much more doable in much of Stanly County (except for lakefront properties) than the places you've looked. Of course, it depends on how picky you are with the size and certain features, and how much land you're looking for.

Last edited by Jowel; 01-23-2017 at 03:52 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM

537 posts, read 548,750 times
You'll find higher prices in more desirable areas. Just sayin'.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:47 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,917,931 times
Mount Holly, Belmont, Cramerton,Gastonia are options that you should look into.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Mount Holly, Belmont, Cramerton,Gastonia are options that you should look into.
Those & Kings Mountain. Also up around Hickory.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 AM

346 posts, read 549,371 times
I was going to suggest Lake Wylie/Clover, but that will not meet all of your criteria. It's going to be hard to find something rural that's close to a college and main street. But you can find less expensive homes with cheaper taxes by going towards Clover and York and away from Ft. Mill.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
I was going to suggest Lake Wylie/Clover, but that will not meet all of your criteria. It's going to be hard to find something rural that's close to a college and main street. But you can find less expensive homes with cheaper taxes by going towards Clover and York and away from Ft. Mill.
York would fit better than Clover. Rock Hill has a college.

Belmont has a college.

Dallas has a community college.

Shelby has a community college & Boiling Springs has a college, but I'm not sure that he wants to be that far out.

Land near Dallas, Belmont, or Kings Mountain would still give cheaper land with proximity to what he wants. Kings Mountain has Moss Lake. He should also look near Hickory. They have colleges, plenty of shopping, rural areas & lakes. Hickory really gives him the most of what he wants.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:22 AM

5,872 posts, read 7,712,811 times
Traffic stresses you out and Cornelius, Davidson and Fort Mill were the "obvious" choices??? Those are the last places that come to mind if you're looking to get away from congestion. But then again things like a lake, college and shops typically mean there's going to be people going to those places and thus creating some traffic. I guess if you don't need to leave Davidson it would be okay, but Davidson is one of the most expensive places in the metro and your budget would be real right - could maybe get a condo I guess.

I think all the best suggestions have been mentioned. IMO the best mix of "small town" with less expensive housing while being near to some of those things would be Mount Holly (with the closest college being Belmont Abbey). Belmont has all 3 of the requirements (well if a river will satisfy the lake requirement-same with Mt Holly) but houses aren't exactly cheap there and with the growth it might get "too congested" soon. Rock Hill would probably be my #3 choice after those 2.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:50 PM

501 posts, read 340,183 times
Lowestown (improperly called Denver by some) has lots to offer including easy access to Charlotte,the lake, and quiet. Lots of shopping in that area and it is just across the river in Lincoln County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or