Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 01:52 PM

164 posts, read 188,528 times

Advertisements

One "location-wise" factor to remember: Charlotte-Douglas airport is a great hub yet easy to navigate for residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 02:43 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
I actually think Columbia is better located as you are able to reach Charlotte, Atlanta, Greenville/Spartanburg, Savannah, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston in short times.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:37 AM

364 posts, read 635,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I actually think Columbia is better located as you are able to reach Charlotte, Atlanta, Greenville/Spartanburg, Savannah, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston in short times.
But Columbia is a lot smaller and though it maybe closer not sure how the job market and things to do in Columbia is like. But I've only been to Columbia once for a few days. It is all in what you want or what is most important to you.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:49 AM

364 posts, read 635,760 times
I would thing suggestions would be Charlotte, Raleigh, possibly Jacksonville or Tampa.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:51 AM

501 posts, read 529,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
I would thing suggestions would be Charlotte, Raleigh, possibly Jacksonville or Tampa.
Raleigh, like Columbia, is lots smaller than Charlotte. However, Raleigh is often voted the best city in the U.S. to live for overall reasons. I could be a good choice as well. Raleigh is growing at a fast pace too and that means the it is on it's way to better things. Jacksonville has some nice, quieter options in the area like Jacksonville Beach and Neptune Beach and St. Augustine isn't that far away. Tampa doesn't get enough relief from the heat to satisfy me and of the two Florida cities, Jacksonville gets some cold days. Tampa area isn't the best city in the world in which to get around. But again, they are all good cities with their own charm and character.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
Not so sure proximity to mountains, beaches (and sailing/boating) was the OP's primary focus, but Baltimore is closer by distance alone. Now, that leaves out subjective views on MD & VA beaches vs NC & SC, the same for MD, VA & PA mountains vs NC, SC & VA, yet Chesepeake Bay has something going for it nautically beyond just the USNA, Annapolis, etc. Again, a lot of room for subjective interpretation versus the OP's current measurable closer proximity to more, larger populated cities with broader cultural features, amenities, etc. than Charlotte and nearby smaller populated cities. Both cities have their strong and not as strong merits subject to the beholder.
I'm aware of that, which is why I said when you throw that in, the argument becomes even stronger for Charlotte.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:06 AM

420 posts, read 469,738 times
I probably should have mentioned "southern cities with high enough population" (over 500,000), so the question might make more sense. I was even surprised that Charlotte had higher population than Baltimore. Baltimore feels congested due to the proximity of other big cities plus the DMV region is generally more populated.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I probably should have mentioned "southern cities with high enough population" (over 500,000), so the question might make more sense. I was even surprised that Charlotte had higher population than Baltimore. Baltimore feels congested due to the proximity of other big cities plus the DMV region is generally more populated.
That's because Charlotte is nearly 300 square miles while Baltimore is under 100 square miles. Baltimore also has a larger MSA and its urbanized area has about one million more people in less land than Charlotte's. So Baltimore feels bigger because, by pretty much every measure, it is bigger and significantly denser. Charlotte will eventually surpass Baltimore but Baltimore will probably always be denser and as time goes on, it becomes more and more connected to DC.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:21 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Baltimore is largely a slummy hellhole centrally located between our corrupt capitol and exciting delaware, woww. Charlotte is more of a suburb with a downtown located 200 miles from anything exciting unless you consider Duke basketball exciting.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Baltimore is largely a slummy hellhole centrally located between our corrupt capitol and exciting delaware, woww. Charlotte is more of a suburb with a downtown located 200 miles from anything exciting unless you consider Duke basketball exciting.
And Murphy is the center of the universe. Millions of people will flock there over the next few decades, causing NC to surpass every other state except TX and CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte