Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 01:29 PM

207 posts, read 354,511 times

Advertisements

I have worked in High schools here for years and the attendance at high school soccer games does not compare to HS football attendance and student sideline participation plus Band performances. That includes all the latino players and families represented in high school soccer. This argument that youth soccer has created a swell of interest may be true but only if one ignores high school soccer, a major part of the soccer scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 06:12 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
Felt, we are on the same page.

Clt4, I agree with you, but the fact is that we should invest in a MLS either way. It would be great if the Burton family paid, but we should move on the issue even if he doesn't come through with a suitable proposal. We have a huge Hispanic population and a respectable number of Europeans that deserve a venue for their cherished sport as well. We never see Hispanics on the city council or any local politics to speak of. We need to recognize them as a critical segment of our local population. This would be great for them and everyone else.
I doubt a large majority of the Charlotte Hispanic community will go to an MLS match unless the team can pull a big name Hispanic player. Chivas USA, owned by a Mexican Club team, couldnt pull a big enough attendance to stay around. The local Hispanic population already have a club that they support from their native country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post

Nevertheless, I would think the most logical step would be to leverage stadiums we already have in place? The Panthers arena or even the Charlotte 49ers home might make sense, although the Panthers would hold a lot more if the need is truly there. The seasons barely overlap so scheduling would be possible as there are 7 other teams sharing facilities with teams from other sports currently.
I think part of the agreement to get a MLS team is you have to have a dedicated stadium. They dont want to have another DC United stadium situation on their hands.

Government shouldn't get into the business of speculating whether a sports team will bring in enough dollars to pay back what was given to a private business.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:43 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
I have worked in High schools here for years and the attendance at high school soccer games does not compare to HS football attendance and student sideline participation plus Band performances. That includes all the latino players and families represented in high school soccer. This argument that youth soccer has created a swell of interest may be true but only if one ignores high school soccer, a major part of the soccer scene.
What does HS baseball attendance looks like in Charlotte?

HS attendance has nothing to do with professional attendance. Charlotte Knights have great attendance for a triple A team. It's all about the experience. No one goes to Charlotte Knights games to see all stars.

As long as tickets ae affordable, beer is local and the food is tasty they will get a nice turn out.

..and anyone thinking hispanics won't come out to see soccer played at the highest level is fooling themselves. Everyone who is a fan of a sport will go to a few games a year whether it's to see the home team or stars from visiting teams.

I don't even care for soccer but it's a no brainer as far as attendance is concerned.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Why doesn't the city of Charlotte just buy the entire team if we want one so bad. Put it to a vote and see if more than 50% of the city wants to own a team. It seems it would make sense for the city to own the team and get the revenue from the stadium, naming rights, food, tickets, parking etc.... rather than cough up tax dollars to hand over to a private business who reaps 100% of the direct benefits of the stadium. The city is funding 50% of the stadium, giving a loan at below market interest rates to the Smith family to fund a portion of their 50%, yet he won't let the city even get a portion of the revenue from naming rights on the stadium. He doesn't want to pay sales tax on food, doesn't want to pay sales tax on parking, doesn't want to share any of the ticket revenue, etc....

Other cities bidding for MLS do not have prospective owners proposing such bad deals. We might as well go 100% all in and buy the team as a city or ask the Smith family to make the deal more attractive to the city.

The city's only financial benefit is possible redevelopment in the area that raises property tax revenue in that immediate vicinity.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Why doesn't the city of Charlotte just buy the entire team if we want one so bad. Put it to a vote and see if more than 50% of the city wants to own a team. It seems it would make sense for the city to own the team and get the revenue from the stadium, naming rights, food, tickets, parking etc.... rather than cough up tax dollars to hand over to a private business who reaps 100% of the direct benefits of the stadium. The city is funding 50% of the stadium, giving a loan at below market interest rates to the Smith family to fund a portion of their 50%, yet he won't let the city even get a portion of the revenue from naming rights on the stadium. He doesn't want to pay sales tax on food, doesn't want to pay sales tax on parking, doesn't want to share any of the ticket revenue, etc....

Other cities bidding for MLS do not have prospective owners proposing such bad deals. We might as well go 100% all in and buy the team as a city or ask the Smith family to make the deal more attractive to the city.

The city's only financial benefit is possible redevelopment in the area that raises property tax revenue in that immediate vicinity.
I agree, you have to give up something if you want 50% funding. No sales tax no deal.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:10 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
What does HS baseball attendance looks like in Charlotte?

HS attendance has nothing to do with professional attendance. Charlotte Knights have great attendance for a triple A team. It's all about the experience. No one goes to Charlotte Knights games to see all stars.

As long as tickets ae affordable, beer is local and the food is tasty they will get a nice turn out.

..and anyone thinking hispanics won't come out to see soccer played at the highest level is fooling themselves. Everyone who is a fan of a sport will go to a few games a year whether it's to see the home team or stars from visiting teams.

I don't even care for soccer but it's a no brainer as far as attendance is concerned.
The problem is MLS isn't the "highest level." The international population might go to a game or two here or there, but they'll continue to follow the other leagues that have better teams/players than the MLS.

I think an MLS team would be nice, but it needs to be a lot better deal for the city/county than the proposal.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:39 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I doubt a large majority of the Charlotte Hispanic community will go to an MLS match unless the team can pull a big name Hispanic player. Chivas USA, owned by a Mexican Club team, couldnt pull a big enough attendance to stay around. The local Hispanic population already have a club that they support from their native country.

I think part of the agreement to get a MLS team is you have to have a dedicated stadium. They dont want to have another DC United stadium situation on their hands.

Government shouldn't get into the business of speculating whether a sports team will bring in enough dollars to pay back what was given to a private business.
Unless this is a specific new agreement for the next franchise that's not currently the case. Several have shared stadiums although a few do have plans in the works for dedicated places to play.

Agree that MLS isn't the "highest level" either, I'd venture that many that follow european leagues don't even know what cities in the Americas have a MLS team. Maybe I'm wrong?

I'm all for it if the city does it and reaps the benefits, would not be for it in terms of just giving any private entity a fat deal for nothing in return except maybe redevelopment of the area in the vicinity (which isn't a given).

Old 01-30-2017, 01:59 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,287 times
Here is a news article in the requirements that the MLS has for any new expansion team.

MLS announces the requirements, rules and timeline for expansion to 28 teams | FOX Sports

Old 01-30-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
The problem is MLS isn't the "highest level." The international population might go to a game or two here or there, but they'll continue to follow the other leagues that have better teams/players than the MLS.

I think an MLS team would be nice, but it needs to be a lot better deal for the city/county than the proposal.
It's the highest level in America.

and that's my point, they will go to a few games... but it won't all be the same games so I think attendance would be fine.

lol bet Charlotte residents go to a few baseball games a year. I doubt most tickets are season ticket holders. I also think the size of the stadium could make it attractive for smaller outdoor events. Don't quote me on that, I have no idea how soccer fields are treated.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:24 PM

looks like Smith is still going to try and put a bid in for a team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: