U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 11:26 AM

48 posts, read 36,721 times

Advertisements

I have been on here quite a bit lately trying to get info on the best city for my wife and I to try next. We are moving from St. Petersburg, Florida. We almost bought a house here a few months ago until we learned about the sink hole epidemic (long story). Anyways, after backing out on a house 39 days from closing with approved financing and all inspections finished we kind of lost our steam for the area. We looked around and feel we have really seen all that there is to see here and are getting sick of the oppressive summers and lack of natural beauty. I researched everything from here to California and have decided that NC would be best for us. I would love to move to Ashville but do to the limited work available, fairly expensive housing and distance from an international airport that has direct flights to Costa Rica (my wife's country of origin) we have decided to focus on the Charlotte area to start. I am wondering, having never lived in NC, what are some decent, safe and reasonably priced areas to look for housing. Also, I have an 11 year old, paraplegic, 70 LB, dog that has medical issues that only I am equipped to manage so I have reserved myself to staying as an Auto Body shop appraiser or independent insurance appraiser for the time being. I would love to be an insurance staff appraiser but I cannot be out of town for the required 2 week+ of training required by these jobs as a new hire. This means I am also going to have to live fairly close to my employer. So this will also be a determining factor. Any suggestions would help. We would like to be within an hour or so to Charlotte International and preferably closer to the mountains then further if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 11:31 AM

1,455 posts, read 998,288 times
What do you consider reasonably priced? $350,000 , $500,000, $150,000???

Old 01-27-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
What do you consider reasonably priced? $350,000 , $500,000, $150,000???
Oh, I'm sorry. We are going to rent for now to decide if its the right area for us to buy. We need a 1 floor house with some type of back yard. Doesn't need to be big at all. We would like to be on the cheaper end of things for the time being so we can save as much money as possible. Right now we are paying $1250 for a no so nice 2 bed 1 bath in a very decent neighborhood. We could even manage with a 1 bed 1 bath if necessary. I'd like to spend less then what i am spending now if possible.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:38 AM

21,893 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVImports View Post
I have been on here quite a bit lately trying to get info on the best city for my wife and I to try next. We are moving from St. Petersburg, Florida. We almost bought a house here a few months ago until we learned about the sink hole epidemic (long story). Anyways, after backing out on a house 39 days from closing with approved financing and all inspections finished we kind of lost our steam for the area. We looked around and feel we have really seen all that there is to see here and are getting sick of the oppressive summers and lack of natural beauty. I researched everything from here to California and have decided that NC would be best for us. I would love to move to Ashville but do to the limited work available, fairly expensive housing and distance from an international airport that has direct flights to Costa Rica (my wife's country of origin) we have decided to focus on the Charlotte area to start. I am wondering, having never lived in NC, what are some decent, safe and reasonably priced areas to look for housing. Also, I have an 11 year old, paraplegic, 70 LB, dog that has medical issues that only I am equipped to manage so I have reserved myself to staying as an Auto Body shop appraiser or independent insurance appraiser for the time being. I would love to be an insurance staff appraiser but I cannot be out of town for the required 2 week+ of training required by these jobs as a new hire. This means I am also going to have to live fairly close to my employer. So this will also be a determining factor. Any suggestions would help. We would like to be within an hour or so to Charlotte International and preferably closer to the mountains then further if possible.
Start looking west of Charlotte, as the airport is on the west side. Gastonia has a very nice Hispanic grocery store. Gastonia has a fairly large Puerto Rican population, so your wife would probably feel comfortable there. As to work, you could look as far out as Shelby, though l wouldn't recommend it to live there.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Start looking west of Charlotte, as the airport is on the west side. Gastonia has a very nice Hispanic grocery store. Gastonia has a fairly large Puerto Rican population, so your wife would probably feel comfortable there. As to work, you could look as far out as Shelby, though l wouldn't recommend it to live there.
Thank you! That's great. I'll start looking.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:45 AM

1,455 posts, read 998,288 times
Gaston County, Indian Trail, and Concord are probably the best options for your price range and wanting a stand alone SFH with one story.

Gaston County and Concord are closer to mountains than Indian Trail.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Gaston County, Indian Trail, and Concord are probably the best options for your price range and wanting a stand alone SFH with one story.

Gaston County and Concord are closer to mountains than Indian Trail.
Awesome, thank you!

Old 01-28-2017, 05:38 AM

718 posts, read 724,859 times
Are you specifically looking for an area with a large Hispanic influence? Maybe I misunderstood the post above. I saw you mentioned your wife is from Costa Rica, but I didn't see that in your list. Not sure why you are being guided that way.

As far as safe areas with lower cost. Consider Concord, especially 28027. Moss creek is a pretty good neighborhood with elem and middle schools right in the neighborhood. Not sure if your child goes to school or is home schooled but they have great programs. It is about 3 or so miles from i85 and you can find a variety of homes in all price ranges and rentals as well.

There are several other neighborhoods in that same area as well to consider. Harrisburg is a decent little town. Kannapolis is about a 35 minute drive and much cheaper. Gastonia is fine, Not my favorite. Kind of a separated feeling from the metro. Maybe Waxhaw or Pineville would also work. Depends what you are looking for. All those places have a different feel.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:11 AM

21,893 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Are you specifically looking for an area with a large Hispanic influence? Maybe I misunderstood the post above. I saw you mentioned your wife is from Costa Rica, but I didn't see that in your list. Not sure why you are being guided that way.

As far as safe areas with lower cost. Consider Concord, especially 28027. Moss creek is a pretty good neighborhood with elem and middle schools right in the neighborhood. Not sure if your child goes to school or is home schooled but they have great programs. It is about 3 or so miles from i85 and you can find a variety of homes in all price ranges and rentals as well.

There are several other neighborhoods in that same area as well to consider. Harrisburg is a decent little town. Kannapolis is about a 35 minute drive and much cheaper. Gastonia is fine, Not my favorite. Kind of a separated feeling from the metro. Maybe Waxhaw or Pineville would also work. Depends what you are looking for. All those places have a different feel.
???

The OP mentioned in an earlier thread a desire for his wife to feel comfortable & some problems that she had because of her accent. Gastonia has a sizeable Hispanic population. It's more Puerto Rican than Mexican.

The OP hasn't asked about schools, but has mentioned a disabled dog. What's with the emphasis on schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or