U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:29 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,445,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Probably my only adjustment is that I'd thought I'd find better ribs here (currently Tona Romas is sitll my favorite place for ribs).
I thought this place had good ribs. 521 BBQ is located north of Kilburnie on U.S. 521 in the Indian Land community near Charlotte. The restaurant offers Southern BBQ and other American fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,820 times
Quote:
Probably my only adjustment is that I'd thought I'd find better ribs here (currently Tona Romas is sitll my favorite place for ribs).

I thought I'd here more southern accents then hearing the classic Treton, NJ or Brooklyn/Bronx/Long Island NY variants.

And finally...Life is what you make of it. You are the main factor in your own happiness.
And your environment doesn't play a factor in your happiness? Come on....

Old 03-02-2008, 04:39 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
And your environment doesn't play a factor in your happiness? Come on....
Sure environment is important but it's not the only determinate. The statement is a simple way of saying your reaction and how you deal with any situation regardless of the circumstances is 100% up to you.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:49 PM

889 posts, read 2,847,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Wait no alcohol before noon on Sunday??? OH NOOOOOOOOOOO
Oh yes, and the ABC stores are closed on Sunday too

Old 03-02-2008, 04:53 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,820 times
Quote:
Sure environment is important but it's not the only determinate. The statement is a simple way of saying your reaction and how you deal with any situation regardless of the circumstances is 100% up to you.
Yes, you're right. It's absolutely not the only determinate. However depending on the factors it could be a major one, whether it's where you came from and/or whom you were surrounded by. If you leave your family and all that was familiar behind, there's no replacing that no matter what you make of it. Or if you've moved into an area where the crime is a little more than what you'd think it would've been. There will always be some sort of circumstance where "what you make of it" will only take you so far.

Essentially, if you have to say "it's what you make of it", essentially you're kind of saying, "I'm trying my best to make the best out of a less than desirable situation". And if you keep finding that you have to work at it, then maybe the situation really isn't for you.

This'll be an instance where we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm a fan of total wine. They by far have been the cheapest for me and definitely cheaper when buying by the case. I'm a huge fan of Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio and in supermarkets its about $25. In total wine, its just about $20 a bottle and less if by case. They love me when I walk in..
Have you tried World Market as far as buying wine?Fantastic prices as well.
IN 06 i was in Rome and bought Santa Margarita for about $8 euros, american about under$10 bucks!! Good stuff, i agree!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:

I thought I'd here more southern accents then hearing the classic Treton, NJ or Brooklyn/Bronx/Long Island NY variants.

And finally...Life is what you make of it. You are the main factor in your own happiness.
Couldnt agree with you more on your last line, your absolutly right!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:01 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,201,063 times
for some reason I thought the area would be more 'open', more land. I know I'm right in the thick of things being in the university area but I guess I thought I'd see more farmland. I was kind of under the impression that I might be able to walk up to somebody's farmhouse and ask their permission to hunt on their property. I'm sure this is probably the case further out from the charlotte area. I didn't really think too much about it before moving here, but that's just kinda the picture I had in the back of my head.

I also thought it would be a little easier to meet single women. I'm not college age anymore....if I was it would be a snap to meet women. I can't really hold that against charlotte, as I guess it gets harder to meet single people anywhere as you get older. Also, I've only been here a month so maybe I just haven't found the right establishments.

Lastly, someone mentioned the lack of 'mom and pop' places. I have to agree. Still can't find a good breakfast place where you basically feel like you're in someone's kitchen. Just a whole lot of shoney's and chains like that.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:04 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
for some reason I thought the area would be more 'open', more land. I know I'm right in the thick of things being in the university area but I guess I thought I'd see more farmland. I was kind of under the impression that I might be able to walk up to somebody's farmhouse and ask their permission to hunt on their property. I'm sure this is probably the case further out from the charlotte area. I didn't really think too much about it before moving here, but that's just kinda the picture I had in the back of my head.

I also thought it would be a little easier to meet single women. I'm not college age anymore....if I was it would be a snap to meet women. I can't really hold that against charlotte, as I guess it gets harder to meet single people anywhere as you get older. Also, I've only been here a month so maybe I just haven't found the right establishments.

Lastly, someone mentioned the lack of 'mom and pop' places. I have to agree. Still can't find a good breakfast place where you basically feel like you're in someone's kitchen. Just a whole lot of shoney's and chains like that.
Hmm, there's a nice little diner/cafe in Monroe were you get that *exact* feel. THe checkered kitchen clothes and all that. They close up at 4:30pm though.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:14 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,201,063 times
thanks Miker! so that's one and it looks like it's about a 45 minute drive for me. anyone have suggestions closer to harris and mallard creek? oops, don't mean to change the original post so feel free to pm me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or