U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:44 AM

330 posts, read 931,767 times

Advertisements

Better yet, let's ban government.

If there is one thing I have learned in the past few years, it is that the greatest threat to individual liberty is the willingness of people to cede their rights to authority.

"There ought to be a law" are the six scariest words in the English language.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:40 PM

101 posts, read 262,241 times
I will only go to restaurants that are non-smoking. My wife has bad allergies, and tar and chemicals, I mean, cigarette smoke, really affects her sinuses.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:41 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,668,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanryboy View Post
I will only go to restaurants that are non-smoking. My wife has bad allergies, and tar and chemicals, I mean, cigarette smoke, really affects her sinuses.
I'm glad you are exercising your right to choose.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 PM

I lost my dad three years ago to lung cancer and emphysema. He was only 50. He thought his right to smoke only affected him. My kids will never have a grandfather on my side. I will never have a dad to get advice from. I will never be able to go to a football game with him again. Do you still think your rights are worth it?????

Old 03-03-2008, 06:01 PM

Oye vey...I'm sorry for your loss but do you seriously think the government should mandate behavior? Your dad had the right to smoke, period. His choice may not have been wise, but it was his right nevertheless. This is a very slippery slope for who ultimately decides what is to be banned and what is not based on people's feelings? Life is all about choices especially when you live in a free (for the time being at least) country. Not all practiced choices are the right ones, and unfortunately, some choices may prove to be fatal. It's still the individual's choice though.

FWIW, my mother-in-law had a motorcycle fall on her and the motor burned her leg leading to her having one of the rarest cancers out there. Do you think we should ban motorcycles?

Old 03-03-2008, 06:47 PM

Smoking is a harmful practice that costs non-smoking taxpayers millions of dollars in healthcare costs. We all pay for it with our insurance rates, and smokers are forcing me to pay more for healthcare and insurance, so there is no difference in the government taxing smokers based on the additional costs added to us all. His right? If you want to kill yourself, that's selfish, and there are other less-painful ways for your family to do it. Jump off a bridge. Seeing my dad gasp for his last breaths because of his lungs failing, again, after his choice to smoke? Being in the hospital for two and a half weeks and finally deciding to pull the plug is not the way to do it.
FWIW- Your mother's freak accident was just that, a freak accident. It was not one of thousands that happen everyday. And she was not misled to think it was not that dangerous to ride a bike. We know that riding a motorcycle can be dangerous, and it has to be done with caution. Let's compare apples to apples. Cigarettes kill over 50 people an hour. Period. My dad was one of them.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 PM

268 posts, read 1,021,565 times
Wow.. has this thread gotten out of control or what?? lol

This is JMO:

First: The government has everything to do with smoking... Do you really
think they are going to outlaw something that brings them in so
much revenue?

Second: Smoking increasing your risk of COPD, All cancers, Stroke,
CAD and many more. Do I want to increase my risk because
I want to go out to eat? No... I, too, will stay away from these
restaurants, etc.. Do I think it is fair that someone who
is driving up health care costs and literally killing themselves gets
to go to a restaurant that I would like to go to (but won't)...NO!!

I moved from an area that has the law of no smoking in ANY public place. I hardly ever came in contact with second hand smoke... Now I do all the time.
I love this area, but the smoking issue really isn't fair to those of us that don't smoke. We literally have to stay clear these places.

In my opinion, when you light up next to a person that does not smoke, you may as well be pointing a gun in their face. You are killing them either way..

I am not trying to start ANYTHING.. PLEASE.. this is just my opinion..

Old 03-03-2008, 06:55 PM

268 posts, read 1,021,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
FWIW, my mother-in-law had a motorcycle fall on her and the motor burned her leg leading to her having one of the rarest cancers out there. Do you think we should ban motorcycles?
Hmmm.. The motorcycle incident was an accident... People who smoke CHOOSE to do it.. I don't think you MIL chose to have a motorcycle fall on her... Sorry.. but there is NO simalarities..

Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanryboy View Post
Smoking is a harmful practice that costs non-smoking taxpayers millions of dollars in healthcare costs. We all pay for it with our insurance rates, and smokers are forcing me to pay more for healthcare and insurance, so there is no difference in the government taxing smokers based on the additional costs added to us all. His right? If you want to kill yourself, that's selfish, and there are other less-painful ways for your family to do it. Jump off a bridge. Seeing my dad gasp for his last breaths because of his lungs failing, again, after his choice to smoke? Being in the hospital for two and a half weeks and finally deciding to pull the plug is not the way to do it.
FWIW- Your mother's freak accident was just that, a freak accident. It was not one of thousands that happen everyday. And she was not misled to think it was not that dangerous to ride a bike. We know that riding a motorcycle can be dangerous, and it has to be done with caution. Let's compare apples to apples. Cigarettes kill over 50 people an hour. Period. My dad was one of them.
There are multitudes of risky behavior that add to health care costs. Should we ban all of them? Here's a list in case you missed the first one:

Homosexual activity
Heterosexual promiscuity and sex outside of marriage
Consuming high trans fat foods
Alcohol consumption
Morbid obesity

All of these behaviors or traits can and will lead to increasing health care costs across the board. Heart-related illnesses are directly associated with dietary habits and lack of exercise, so should we ban certain foods and mandate exercise to all Americans? You've got to decide if you want government controlling the lives of its citizens. These bans will not stop with cigarettes. It's a Pandora's box that I don't think you've considered the consequences of opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or