U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 944 times

Advertisements

I will share my story of moving to Charlotte, NC. Been here 8 months. We live in the SW area, nice,working class, great natured people. My whole block on both sides are from somewhere else. So don't look for that hospitality unless you go live out in the sticks. People from up norh are coming here by the bus loads to all areas. Get out and enjoy Charlotte. It is beautiful here. ***SAD NOTE*** If YOU are of other than caucasion, you may experience some very cold unwanted feelings about being here when you go above Huntersville. Since I have been here, I have lost my job, been told to GO BACK NORTH and TAKE SOME WITH YOU. Even calledthe N-word. I came down here, was making great money and now I am forced to sell my home which I just rehabbed and take my family back north. I used to work for L***S and I will tell you this, never did I imagined that I would be working with a group of racist. It was really sad. Anybody who works for this company and planning to move to Charlotte, please weigh your options and have a back-up plan if you are of color and part of the Management team. My quest is not to deter anyone from coming here, just want to point out the actual facts once I took my hood-wink off. Living in Charlotte is great just have a back-up plan for work. I am trying to get one right now. And just think, I am veteran of 23 years who served this country and this is what I have retired to ? Any thoughts? any suggestions ? Sorry, I had to get this off my chest. Going to the gym now lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,368,795 times
^luigi, I'm sorry for your experiences here. It's hard to imagine why people act that way. I am southern born and raised, and I welcome diversity of race, ethnicity, religion, politics, etc. I hope that your experience is extremely isolated. Can you not find anything closer in Charlotte, like you were doing at your last job? It's a shame that people like you mentioned still exist, but I guess you'll find them anywhere almost. Again, my apologies to you. I hope things work out for you and you can stay in the Charlotte area, you would be an asset here.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 PM

84 posts, read 270,937 times
After living here 20 years and involved in Shooting, Fishing and Golfing (of which I seldom see people of color) with lots of folks (mostly southern), I have to say that they are living in dark ages.

I live out here in the country, in nice sub-division and there are deep routed southerners!!!!

Extremely prejudges and even to the other whites that are not from the south.

I have been very active in these activities and gone "out of my way" to compliment them in every way and have never made any real "friends" unless, they too, were transplanted here.

My dad warned me before moving here................the south is very different.

Bless your heart!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 PM

2,377 posts, read 3,415,309 times
I haven't seen many people post in this thread from other parts of the country, but I'm from Ohio, and live down in Rock Hill, but get around Charlotte a lot as well, & I have thoroughly enjoyed living here from day 1 exactly 3 yrs ago. It's nice to see housing prices going up still, and the weather for the most part can't be beat. I love being so close to the mountains to camp and the ocean to go to as well. The lakes are gorgeous, save for last year when Lake Wylie was too low, and they closed the public boat ramps, there always seems to be new entertainment options, and you don't have to worry about 6 straight months of cold cloudy weather w/ very little sunshine like I had in Northeast Ohio. Plus, no SNOW, as it doesn't snow here at all (We've had a total of 2" in my 3 winters here, eastern Cleve suburbs where I lived, would get 100+" a year of that crap). People say it does snow here on occasion w/ a decent accumulation, but I don't believe them. The heat in actuality isn't too bad imo. Last summer had about 8-10 days in the 100s, but even Chicago and Cleveland have had heat waves like that for a few days at a time. It's normally low to mid 90s, which if you work in the AC, your fine, and then on weekends, get in the pool or lakes, your fine. I've not seen much of any rascism here. 2 of my best friends are African Americans, and they haven't experienced much either. One moved here from Los Angeles 5 yrs ago, and he has told me, where he lived out there, was worse than here. Anyways, I enjoyed reading this thread and b4 hitting the sack, wanted to post a bit of my experience too. W/ Ohio's poor economy, and crappy weather, I'll never move back there. I only go back to go to my Alma Mater, Ohio State's, football games. Go Buckeyes, and I'm sure more of my Ohio brethren will continue moving here.

It would be nice if the state of NC would support Charlotte more, an invest more money in the Charlotte freeways, and in the Light Rail to get the other lines built quicker. But, alas, most state gov'ts don't support their state's other big cities as well as it does it's capital. Maybe when McCrory becomes governor, that will change some. At least get all the HWY lights working, and get the money into the justice system, so not so many criminals get set free. And for god sakes, it's taken way to long to finish a mere 65 mile freeway loop. That started in the 80s, I believe, no way that shouldn't have been finished by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte