U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:06 PM

65 posts, read 199,855 times

Advertisements

well, heres my take on it all...my wife is from mass and im from bellmore we lived in merrick...first up depends on your financil situation,,and how much you want to spend on a house and how big. Can almost guarantee that your home here will be much bigger, nicer and will problably not need much work to it, if any at all..huge plus..and taxes' will be dramatically lower..lawson is a real nice community with great schools,,we live in a community called matthews estates in matthews...

imo, to many people get scared off on moving because of the job situation or i like to think of it as security or having a hard time dealing with the new and unkown,,there are plenty of jobs here in the healthcare industry,,i cant comment much on it because i dont know a whole lot about healthcare, but with the amount of people moving here there are some new hospitals being built as well as many, many urgent healthcare facilties, not sure if this would apply to you or not?..as far as your hubby being a painter self employed, i think thats great here and ill explain a little further on this. we had recently received rates for painters for our home and couldnt believe what they were asking, just as high as our quotes in ny or even higher! and they were quite busy with work,,the home services labor market here is not bad at all on pay..we ended finding someone rural to paint for way less but found him by accident..so if your hubby is a hustler and "reliable" and advertises correctly he should do pretty well..being nice and honest is important too.

my wife doesnt work because we have a 2 and a 3 year old,,so i run 2 small bi'z out of my home to make ends meet..but im doing very well with no complaints, i do ebay (doing it for 8 years) and im a private music teacher and my student base is growing quite rapidly in just under a year, so not bad..

i suggest starting your own biz, but i know thats not for everyone..our friends from ny live in another communtiy nearby and just started there own biz a few months back and there already doing pretty well,..my wife actually may join in on helping them to become part of their biz because they already need extra help..theres lots of folks with money here, especially in what they call the "south charlotte" area which goes from the city and extends all the way into ballantyne and down into waxhaw/weddington, etc..many other nice area's too around charlotte too, thats just the main one that i personally do well in with my private music lessons..hope this helps you,,dont be shy,,ask more if you need too,,as always, ill do my best! Thanks mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 11:38 AM

819 posts, read 2,328,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EX LI'r View Post
I can only say that me, my wife and our 2 little ones moved to Matthews/Charlotte a little over a year ago from Merrick LI and simply love it!

There are so many positives and very few negatives

The growth that going on here is unexplainable

Weather here is sweet
EX LI'r,

I am currently in Brooklyn, NY and am planning on making that move to NC with my wife and 2 little girls as well. However, I have been practically living on all these internet job sites looking for a job before moving down, but can not seem to get anything just yet. Therefore, I would really like to know how did you make the move to NC? Did you already have a job offer prior to moving there or did you just pick up your family and move there?

I am curious and am looking for any suggestions, as I am now wondering if there is a better way of going about this? I have been laid off from my job since Dec'07 and have been focusing all my effort and attention on job prospects in NC, I had a few close calls, but have yet to score. I am an IT professional and open for suggestions from any party.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,403,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
EX LI'r,

I am currently in Brooklyn, NY and am planning on making that move to NC with my wife and 2 little girls as well. However, I have been practically living on all these internet job sites looking for a job before moving down, but can not seem to get anything just yet. Therefore, I would really like to know how did you make the move to NC? Did you already have a job offer prior to moving there or did you just pick up your family and move there?

I am curious and am looking for any suggestions, as I am now wondering if there is a better way of going about this? I have been laid off from my job since Dec'07 and have been focusing all my effort and attention on job prospects in NC, I had a few close calls, but have yet to score. I am an IT professional and open for suggestions from any party.
I am direct messaging you some IT contacts Since you are already unemployed, why not consider coming here for a week to see if you can get your foot in some doors with your resume?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,065,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaborti View Post
I am a x-ray technician. I've done some research and didn't know what health system is better, Carolinas or Prestbyerian? Any info? I might even forget the hospital and try to work in an office. My back is sick of pushing stretchers and want to deal with patients who are more ambulatory.
Either hospital system will have great bennies and nice salary. Are you cross-trained in CT or MR? Even more opps if you are.

I would not hesitate to take a job w/ either hospital (or physician practices associated w/ hospitals). Once you get your foot in the door, you can scope it out, see if you want to stick around or maybe move up w/ a management position - or if you want to switch to another facility or system.

You will have more success if you contact the Rad Director directly and find out what is actually available . . . Get aggressive - believe me - there are openings for Rad Techs. Have you checked on salaries to make sure you are realistic about the going rates here?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:47 PM

jamerican, please read my last post on what i do for a living,,i haven't interviewed for a position in almost 20 years, so im not really that great on helping you there,,i do know that IT can be a bit competative no matter where you live, but i can't imagine that you cant get a decent job here with decent salary,,it probably wouldnt be the salary u would make in NY, but i bet it would be not to shabby for the cost of living,,there are some other folks on the thread that are looking to help you out,,ithere are many job resource websites out there that should be of help,,i do know they have job fairs here too, try and do some google searches to find out more,,sorry i couldnt help you too much,,if anybody else here wants to chime in to help JAMERICAN out, please do,,thanks and good luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM

JABORTI, seems like ANIFANI is giving you some good info, hope this thread helps you along, any other questions feel free always! Thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 04:52 PM

168 posts, read 430,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EX LI'r View Post
I can only say that me, my wife and our 2 little ones moved to Matthews/Charlotte a little over a year ago from Merrick LI and simply love it!

There are so many positives and very few negatives

The growth that going on here is unexplainable

Weather here is sweet

Our house and yard blows us away every time we pull up to it, and bought under 300k and now worth a bit over 300K!

People are friendly, many, many folks from up north and basically from all cities from around the country, sure the original southerners arent crazy about all of us moving here, but so what!

Traffic has grown since weve been here, but no where close to NY Traffic

City is clean

Cost of living to NY, well that doesnt even need any explaining

JOBS, lots of them

Schools are good in many, many area's, just need to find the right ones

Many great neighborhoods/communities

Great place to raise a family

kids and families, so many of them here, my kids love it!

this is just a few of the positives, that come to mind

any questions from folks looking to move here, ill do my best to help ya out, and give you an honest opinion on your concerns and questions!

I can only tell you this, we are thankful of us having the guts to move out of overpriced, run downed LI/NY, when we go back there to visit family, we just shake our heads and say to ourselves, "THERE ARE MUCH BETTER PLACES' TO LIVE, JUST GOT HAVE AN OPEN YOUR MIND AND A SOME B$%$#"! Thanks Mike

Glad to hear it! We are from Long Island Too! You couldnt of said it better.
We are empty nesters but thank god my daughter has seen the light and is coming down with us.
We are just a bit nervous about getting jobs. Thats it! We have visited a couple of times, we are there! We love the values and miss that in NY
Bye Bye Belt Pkwy.....

Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 PM

Glas to see your joining in on all the sunshine and good overall values of the south. What area of charlote are you looking to relocate too? well the job thing is always scary, in a bit of time you should be fine!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 8,730 times
What do the taxes run on a home in about the 150-175k range?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,419,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
EX LI'r,
I think it's going to depend on what you do in IT - at the PM level, it's pretty much all try n buy. You'll need to get your foot in the door as a contractor. If you're in one of the technical disciplines (Networking, AppDev, etc) your best bet is to work with a local headhunter. Hell, your best bet period is working with some local headhunters. The sites like Monster, and even the pay sites like the Ladder, won't get you anything better then working with local headhunters. Work with several and keep looking for more - work it.

Lowe's is basically relocating it's entire IT to a brand spanking new campus in Mooresville... cruise their web site as well as the other big employers here. If you match up perfectly to the qualifications, you will get calls - it's worth a shot. Sadly, none of the major employers in the area are having stellar years. It makes it very competitive for the jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte