U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 PM

197 posts, read 667,463 times

Advertisements

waxhaw is actually quite diverse so I think you would feel comfortable - it is much more diverse than weddington, wesley chapel or marvin - in fact, we kind of miss it for that very reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,753,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaranicole View Post
I might offend some in asking this, but who knows. Is Waxhaw very southern...and by southern, I mean...redneck? I notice that it's not very racially intergrated and it's very country looking...beautiful, but country looking. I realize that there is going to be racism anywhere you go, but I don't want to be ran out of the neighborhood because I am half black and my son is 75% black (husband is white). Touchy subject, I know. But honest opinions are appreciated. It appears that this is the place where the people who don't want to deal with the city move to, but I have never really been in the area.
If that were to happen, it would be the exception and not the rule. Anyway are you looking in area that has a Waxhaw PO Box, which doesn't make it "Waxhaw" proper- that's just where the mail is delivered. A lot of communitys are like that (i.e., I'm really Wesley Chapel but my mail-lady is from the Waxhaw PO)

Old 06-21-2007, 04:00 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
I might offend some in asking this, but who knows. Is Waxhaw very southern...and by southern, I mean...redneck? I notice that it's not very racially intergrated and it's very country looking...beautiful, but country looking. I realize that there is going to be racism anywhere you go, but I don't want to be ran out of the neighborhood because I am half black and my son is 75% black (husband is white). Touchy subject, I know. But honest opinions are appreciated. It appears that this is the place where the people who don't want to deal with the city move to, but I have never really been in the area.
Not to split hairs, but if your husband is white and you are half black, doesn't that make your son only 25% black?

Seriously, you will find that the south you may have read about or heard horror stories of is really a very nice place, ESPECIALLY the Waxhaw area. I highly doubt many folks will give your sons skin color a second thought. And if they do they certainly will not comment on it in your presence. It has been my experience that prejudice, while existing in some form in every state, is far less a problem here than in some northeastern states I have spent time in.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 PM

241 posts, read 813,751 times
No, my husband isn't my sons biological father - he is, however, his father.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 PM

241 posts, read 813,751 times
PS - I lived in North Carolina for 5 years. And I dealt with extreme amounts of racism in the areas that I lived in (Shelby and Boone). I was one of the only mixed people in these areas, country areas, I might add, and I look white. Needless to say, there were numerous occassions where the "n" word was said in the light that they thought I was white. So, I'm not sure if Waxhaw could fit into those categories. I realize that everybody likes to think that life is peachy keen and there isn't racism in their neighborhood. But, it's everywhere. I realize that South Charlotte, or Charlotte in general, isn't as rural as the areas that I lived in and have a lot more transplants. However, I just don't want to subject my family to any more then I have to and move back into "the country". I would rather pay the extra to live in an area where we will be welcomed.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:35 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,753,253 times
Quote:
PS - I lived in North Carolina for 5 years. And I dealt with extreme amounts of racism in the areas that I lived in (Shelby and Boone). I was one of the only mixed people in these areas, country areas, I might add, and I look white. Needless to say, there were numerous occassions where the "n" word was said in the light that they thought I was white. So, I'm not sure if Waxhaw could fit into those categories. I realize that everybody likes to think that life is peachy keen and there isn't racism in their neighborhood. But, it's everywhere. I realize that South Charlotte, or Charlotte in general, isn't as rural as the areas that I lived in and have a lot more transplants. However, I just don't want to subject my family to any more then I have to and move back into "the country". I would rather pay the extra to live in an area where we will be welcomed.
Alright to answer your question. No you're not going to find that in *Waxhaw*.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:02 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Boone I'm surprised by, Shelby I am not. But in the large metro areas around Charlotte and Raleigh I really believe you will be just fine

Old 06-21-2007, 11:01 PM

135 posts, read 395,331 times
Quote:
We moved here from New Jersey back in September and we find it more diverse than it was up North. My son went to Parkwood Middle and we found more discrimination against him because he was a Northerner. They didn't seem to discriminate against color there. I am transferring him to Marvin Ridge next year because we feel that they (Parkwood Middle) find the Northerners to be troublemakers. The reason I know this is because I drove a bus for Parkwood and had a lot of Northerners (NY/NJ/PA) on the bus and everyone was having a problem with Parkwood. I have now transferred to drive for Marvin Ridge so now my kids can go to Marvin Ridge which I think they will fit in more. If you have any questions, email me.

Noreen

Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,829,143 times
Quote:
Waxhaw, N. C. has JAARS. JAARS is the technical part of the Wycliffe Bible Translators. These people go all over the world in many diverse places and assimilate themselves to the natives and learn their language so they can translate the Bible into the native tongue of that people. JAARS has a big influence on the town of Waxhaw and the surrounding area. Waxhaw is a very accepting area. Some of the JAARS people have adopted children of other nationalities, so families with different colors under the same roof is not unusual in Waxhaw. I am speaking about Jackson Township. This area of Union County IS very unusual. I have a Waxhaw telephone, a Mineral Springs Post Office, I live inside the city limits of Mineral Springs, but if I received my mail at my home our address would be Monroe, N.C. There may be housing developments around Waxhaw that are not so accepting in the 28173 zip code area. Your race concerns will not come from Southerners and Red necks. Those who move here seem to be much more concerned with being able to live in the "right" neighborhood. I hope to get to meet you some day. Happy Househunting.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:21 PM

42 posts, read 142,481 times
I love living in Monroe. I can get to everything in town (shopping, mall, hospital, gym, you name it) in 15 minutes no matter the time of day. More laid back than other areas. It's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or