Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:44 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,517 posts, read 5,609,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I moved down here from Cherry Hill, in South Jersey. I remember when it was, essentially, Kings Mountain with a mall instead of a downtown. I know, from experience, that there's a sweet spot when there are enough people to get what's needed & then if you go beyond that it brings unpleasant conditions.
*Exactly*

North Jersey aside, the rest of the state has implemented thoughtful provisions in regulating land use, which held density in check.

You've been here longer than I have been, thus you're more familiar with local ideas/desires, etc.

I hope you're right .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 10:00 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,517 posts, read 5,609,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
These are not my ideas. The Charlotte Observer has been pushing this agenda since the early 1990s. Most of the decision makers in the area are against new freeways. Charlotte wants to use Denver as a model. I do not think new freeways will be built after the Monroe By-pass. But I agree with NDL that metros that do not have a very good freeway system develop major congestion. Seattle is 15th largest metro but ranks 6th in congestion because of its poor freeway system. Atlanta is 9th most populous metro but now ranks 4th in congestion according to a new report that came out yesterday. It too has a poor and inadequate freeways system. You can also include Portland and Austin in this group. Charlotte does not rank high in congestion now. But the gridlock is coming. Dallas is 4th largest MSa in population but ranks like 15th in congestion because of its major freeway system. If you disagree with the way Charlotte is heading then make your ideas known to transportation officials or chamber of commerce or newspaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
When you look at metros such as Atlanta and Seattle you see two metros that stopped building freeways long ago. Atlanta continued to build additional capacity but that was not enough without a world class transit system. Seattle is also missing a first class transit system. The result is that Atlanta is the 9th most populous metro and ranks 4th in congestion and Seattle is the 15th most populous metro and ranks 6th in congestion. If growing metros like Atlanta, Seattle or Charlotte are not going to continue building new freeways and, they do not build a world class transit system then gridlock is the result. I see Charlotte heading in that direction.
I appreciate your input , and agree with everything you've written.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:32 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,544,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
*Exactly*

North Jersey aside, the rest of the state has implemented thoughtful provisions in regulating land use, which held density in check.

You've been here longer than I have been, thus you're more familiar with local ideas/desires, etc.

I hope you're right .
Well. . .in South Jersey, builders started going into the Pine Barrens & the locals got the feds involved & there are stringent regulations on building. Trenton prefers to spend transportation money in North Jersey. That is part of the reason that some parts of South Jersey look like parts of rural North Carolina, just really, really flat.

The light rail war between Gaston & CATS occurred before l came. It was well documented in the Gaston Gazette. When the Gazette & Shelby Star were sold a few years ago, the archives were deleted. So much for being able to post documentation.

I have lots of contact with natives. While there has been an influx here, part of the influx includes Charlotte natives. The officials know that public transportation is needed. They know that they need a larger population to get it, & some other amenities. They don't want to ruin the area, so. . . Density is no longer a dirty word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte