U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,142 posts, read 3,614,894 times

Advertisements

Gaston eyes new ways to capitalize on proximity to Charlotte airport - News - Gaston Gazette - Gastonia, NC

There are few Gaston residents on this forum, so I was reluctant to start this thread. But poster participation on another thread, "What Was Charlotte Like," encouraged me to do so.

There is a movement afoot to develop Gaston County, and I am against this movement. And I see the fruit of this movement, especially in Belmont/Mt Holly...

Gaston County is desirable, because most of it's residents maintain traditions of civility; polite discourse; and while there is traffic in Gaston, it's limited to rush hour.

This thread is not a polemic against transplants. Good, decent, and friendly folks can be found all over the country, yet I do not seek to remake this area into the area whence I came (NYC Metro).

If Gaston welcomes new residents in, it will forever change Gaston's character. Is that what Gaston residents really want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 PM

19,961 posts, read 18,803,688 times
Gaston County is growing in population. The growth should be accompanied with smart and planned growth.

Gaston County's transportation infrastructure needs a long-term investment.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Gaston County is growing in population. The growth should be accompanied with smart and planned growth.

Gaston County's transportation infrastructure needs a long-term investment.
A lot of the "problems" associated with growth can be mitigated by regulating lot sizes to a minimum of two (or so) acres, combined with road improvements. This would hold population numbers down, on a permanent basis. Few elected officials seem interested in this option.

The other option would be to follow Charlotte's model of walkable developments; with some developments relying on light rail. Again, this would mitigate traffic issues, etc. Yet, Gaston officials don't seem to be interested in this option either.

Either way, drawing new folks into Gaston would change Gaston's character, and I don't think a lot of current residents would like to see that happen.

Meanwhile, there are only two ways to cross the river into Gaston County, and Gaston officials seem to be putting the cart before the horse.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:42 PM

Without smart planning in place, Gaston County will see sprawl.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Without smart planning in place, Gaston County will see sprawl.
Is sprawl such a bad thing? Here's an interesting take:

Wendell Cox says sprawl-limiting policies hurt development at Charlotte forum | The Charlotte Observer

Sprawl can be good, if it holds the population down. This keeps the cost of services in check. Many areas in NJ have found this type of planning to be a solution (in this I speak to large minimum lot requirements, e.g. 1-4 acre minimum lots per house, which disperse the population over a wide area).

The other option is to build dense areas, that are walkable. This also keeps the cost of services in check, as the costs are dispersed between many residents.

The typical suburban model is now thought to be unsustainable, partly because services are too costly to maintain. Such a model brings density to the area, without providing for it's residents as it ought to (I speak to an infrastructure that can handle volumes of traffic). This is the model that Gaston is pursuing.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:05 PM

21,881 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Is sprawl such a bad thing? Here's an interesting take:

Wendell Cox says sprawl-limiting policies hurt development at Charlotte forum | The Charlotte Observer

Sprawl can be good, if it holds the population down. This keeps the cost of services in check. Many areas in NJ have found this type of planning to be a solution (in this I speak to large minimum lot requirements, e.g. 1-4 acre minimum lots per house, which disperse the population over a wide area).

The other option is to build dense areas, that are walkable. This also keeps the cost of services in check, as the costs are dispersed between many residents.

The typical suburban model is now thought to be unsustainable, partly because services are too costly to maintain. Such a model brings density to the area, without providing for it's residents as it ought to (I speak to an infrastructure that can handle volumes of traffic). This is the model that Gaston is pursuing.
I think that they're going for density in certain areas of Gastonia.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:11 PM

Sprawl can be good if it is balanced with various uses. When sprawl goes one direction without control, it becomes negative quickly. For example, the addition of 20,000 permanent residences without a grocery-anchored retail center is bad sprawl.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that they're going for density in certain areas of Gastonia.
Belmont/Mt Holly for sure.

Quote:
Sprawl can be good if it is balanced with various uses. When sprawl goes one direction without control, it becomes negative quickly. For example, the addition of 20,000 permanent residences without a grocery-anchored retail center is bad sprawl.
I couldn't agree with you more. This was/is a major problem in some NY suburbs, which forces residents to drive long distances to complete routine tasks. This multiplies traffic quickly.

Back to Gaston, it seems as though many officials are looking at potential new tax revenue, without considering the costs associated with an increase in population. And no one seems to be looking at plus sized minimum lot requirements, to keep population growth in check.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:32 PM

21,881 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Gaston eyes new ways to capitalize on proximity to Charlotte airport - News - Gaston Gazette - Gastonia, NC

There are few Gaston residents on this forum, so I was reluctant to start this thread. But poster participation on another thread, "What Was Charlotte Like," encouraged me to do so.

There is a movement afoot to develop Gaston County, and I am against this movement. And I see the fruit of this movement, especially in Belmont/Mt Holly...

Gaston County is desirable, because most of it's residents maintain traditions of civility; polite discourse; and while there is traffic in Gaston, it's limited to rush hour.

This thread is not a polemic against transplants. Good, decent, and friendly folks can be found all over the country, yet I do not seek to remake this area into the area whence I came (NYC Metro).

If Gaston welcomes new residents in, it will forever change Gaston's character. Is that what Gaston residents really want?
There's been talk in the 85/74 corridor towns of development, for a couple of years. The current Kings Mountain mayor has been talking about light rail to the airport, which would hook up to Uptown. I think that Gaston is currently giving CATS the bird on that topic, but CATS earned it.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 PM

What happens if Interstate 85 and United States routes 29 and 74 cannot be widened further? Light rail is a long-term option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or