Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 11:43 AM

36 posts, read 74,564 times

Advertisements

Hello. This is my first winter with a pool. It is a 14x30 inground, salt water pool, about 15,000 gallons. I would appreciate any input on winter season--do you winterize the pool or not? Cover required? I have the pool open and of course, still have to run the pump. Is it cost effective to winterize/close the pool for the winter months, thus saving electricity cost on the pump? Any input on variable pumps? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 12:08 PM

501 posts, read 528,389 times
Unless you live somewhere there are no trees, get a pool cover or you will be sorry, the leaves and branches will leave a mess and can even stain the paint of your pool. Check with your pool pump dealer on whether you should keep the pool running all winter. It would be best to shut it off.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:24 PM

604 posts, read 652,513 times
Anybody knows a decent price place for changing a large pool liner?

Old 02-13-2017, 02:24 PM

11 posts, read 27,049 times
We had a larger pool and no cover. Not a huge deal, but you need clear the filters a couple of times a day during peak leaf falling season. Also, as mentioned by Lassielad, leaves on the bottom may leave staining, so make sure you have a robot that sucks up those leaves and clean that filter.
Lastly, check with your pump manufacturer and make sure it has a "freeze protection" mode. Most of the modern pumps will circulate water across the system to ensure nothing freezes, plus they would shut down automatically if they are about to freeze.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:16 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
When we had a pool, Kiker pools in Monroe seemed to be the most helpful with the best costs. You may call them and find out.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:42 PM

72 posts, read 89,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
We used Home | BCH Contracting, Inc. | We were very happy with them and the costs seemed very reasonable.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:46 PM

72 posts, read 89,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ligirl610 View Post
Hello. This is my first winter with a pool. It is a 14x30 inground, salt water pool, about 15,000 gallons. I would appreciate any input on winter season--do you winterize the pool or not? Cover required? I have the pool open and of course, still have to run the pump. Is it cost effective to winterize/close the pool for the winter months, thus saving electricity cost on the pump? Any input on variable pumps? Thanks in advance.
Our electric bill has dropped pretty substantially since we closed the pool but we also paid someone to close it and will pay someone to open it so it may just be a wash. But I also don't have to worry about chemicals or cleaning the pool. Just occasionally pumping the water off the cover.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:27 PM

149 posts, read 165,236 times
We've always winterized and covered but our safety cover was in bad need of replacement (it's 20 years old, ripped, dry rotted, etc. ) so we just left the pool open this winter. We are pretty happy with this arrangement . We normally covered it early November and opened in mid-March and it's a lot of trouble to go to for a few months "off" from pool duty. We only run the pump every few days for 12-24 hours, or leave it on if we are going below freezing.Rather than buying a new cover, we are just taking down a few trees. They are to the north and offer no shade anyway, just mess. And a bonus, the pool is actually staying nice and clean. An algae bloom started a couple weeks ago and I knocked it out in a couple of days. No more taking the cover off at St. Patrick's day and seeing the shallow end the color of a shamrock.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:36 PM

958 posts, read 1,723,785 times
Buy a cover, use it during winter and not worry about it. Who wants to waste electricity and manage chemicals during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte