U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,387,340 times

Advertisements

Nostalgia for northeast and Midwest culture and a lack of respect for the moisture trapping qualities of Southeastern red clay and the costs of removing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 09:09 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,206,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Nostalgia for northeast and Midwest culture and a lack of respect for the moisture trapping qualities of Southeastern red clay and the costs of removing it.
We rented a house in VA that had a true basement. We didn't have any problems with the basement in the time we lived there. The basement was the only part of the house we didn't have any issues with and we even got over a foot of snow our first couple of months.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We rented a house in VA that had a true basement. We didn't have any problems with the basement in the time we lived there. The basement was the only part of the house we didn't have any issues with and we even got over a foot of snow our first couple of months.
I love basements. They aren't built as often in the Carolinas because of the reasons I shared. Glad you didn't have any issues.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:46 PM

5,559 posts, read 6,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Another reason houses don't have basements is related to infrastructure. Sewer pipes are buried only a couple of feet deep here. When you don't have a deep-in-the-ground frost line, you don't have to bury pipes that deeply. My old house in NJ had a typical basement with casement windows and the hot water heater, furnace and washer/dryer and sink located there. The sewer pipe was under the basement floor at a depth of 10 feet or so! With a basement like that here, waste water would have to be "pumped up" to meet the sewer lines. There's a reason houses are a lot cheaper here - and infrastructure that is much less robust, is one of the reasons why! Just the clay soil alone is not why most of NC lacks basements. It's very temperature dependent. If you can get away with sewer lines that are 2 feet deep instead of 10 feet deep, that's what will become the standard!

Old 02-15-2017, 02:06 PM

8 posts, read 4,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I think it's safe to say we all prefer the house that backs to the woods (thus the premium on the lot). So, that's why the house you saw with no backyard was able to fit in your budget. Marvin is going to be next to impossible on your budget with a basement. Weddington won't be much better. Maybe look at Cavaillon by CalAtlantic on 12 Mile Creek - not sure if basement is possible there. Cuthbertson is your best bet and you're probably on the right track with those 2 communities. I'd just be careful with Lennar North of Cuthbertson Rd because they are currently zoned to Waxhaw Elementary, which isn't in the Cuthbertson cluster. They will go to CMS and CHS, though. On the subject of schools, there is a student realignment kicking off that will occur in the Fall of 2018. You'll want to keep this in mind when shopping on the outskirts of any cluster - it likely won't be an issue for either Lawson or Brookmead based on location, but there is no guarantee. Talk to your agent about this. Some additional Cuthbertson options off the top of my head are Milbridge, Cureton, and Barrington - all will have very limited basement options, but worth at least looking into them.

I agree that resale will pick up in the Spring, so it might be worth waiting to see what hits the market. Many of us rented our 1st year while we shopped for the purchase - it was one of the best decisions for me. This leaves you flexibility and less pressure while you shop. The timing may also work out that the new school boundaries will be set before you sign a contract to build (or buy resale).

Thanks for letting me know about CalAtlantic and Millbridge, those are two viable options that weren't on my list so far. Millbridge in particular looks interesting.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the comments. Basement is primarily for home office, man cave, and movie room purposes. Kids would have a playroom on the second floor.

I might be wrong on this, but at least from what I've seen, despite increased lot premiums and construction costs, it's cheaper to add extra rooms and square footage via a basement than through additional above ground rooms. So far, I've seen a few options for a basement house between 4500-6000 sq ft for less than $500k. I have yet to see the same square feet and number of rooms (not just bigger rooms) at a similar price point. If someone knows of 5000 sq ft houses (with playroom, rec room, movie room) for less than $500k I'm all ears

Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 PM

5,877 posts, read 7,716,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkm0405 View Post
Thanks for the comments. Basement is primarily for home office, man cave, and movie room purposes. Kids would have a playroom on the second floor.

I might be wrong on this, but at least from what I've seen, despite increased lot premiums and construction costs, it's cheaper to add extra rooms and square footage via a basement than through additional above ground rooms. So far, I've seen a few options for a basement house between 4500-6000 sq ft for less than $500k. I have yet to see the same square feet and number of rooms (not just bigger rooms) at a similar price point. If someone knows of 5000 sq ft houses (with playroom, rec room, movie room) for less than $500k I'm all ears
And the basements you refer to are finished? Seems like a good deal for that much space if you're still talking about the schools you mentioned in the OP.

Actually I take that back (sorry as I mentioned not extremely familiar with that area, just like looking up houses), I guess doing a quick search there may be a few options with basements. I see the resale in Millbridge mentioned above--looks like a pretty good man cave there. Also a resale in Providence Grove for only $415K, then a bunch of new construction listings (some may be completed) in a neighborhood called Anklin Forest. Although they tend to be $499 so likely would go up with options.

Last edited by GoPhils; 02-15-2017 at 10:03 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 08:52 AM

Yeah, the providence grove resale looks like a good deal but it wasn't on our radar when we were visiting the area last weekend. Visited the houses at Anklin Forest and they are huge and beautiful, with finished basements, and just under $500k. However, they have no yard given the size of house, size of lot, and slope of lot.

Like I said, have founds a few options so far, just trying to turn over every rock. It seems like every day I find a new builder with basement lots.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:16 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,157,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
We have a finished basement and have had no issues whatsoever with moisture. We do live on a slope though, if that makes a difference.

And we live in the area where the OP is looking, but we don't live in a neighborhood with an HOA.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 PM

Sorry for confusion. When I wrote respect
for moisture retaining quality of red clay and costs of removing it I meant the costs of removing the clay - not the moisture. My mistake. My point is that it is much cheaper to build on a slab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or