U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 11:55 AM

1,749 posts, read 1,393,889 times

Advertisements

CMS has not indicated they are going to do bussing across the city again like the 80's. They may tweak some borders though so it makes more sense than current boundaries. For example, Olde Providence area attends Myers Park High, whereas Madison Park which is really close to Myers Park High does not. They also are looking to build a new high school eventually to relieve crowding at South Meck and Ardrey Kell High.

Increasing magnets could be a positive for all of CMS. Many families enjoy the language immersion schools in the district, the Montessori school, the IB schools, etc... Offering more choices isn't a bad thing if it keeps families in the public school system rather than moving to areas that do offer magnet choices.

Sedgefield is close in to town and you could in theory walk to the SouthEnd. By the point your kids are in high school though, who knows where the neighborhood would attend. Sedgefield is only 4 miles from Harding High and 4 miles from Myers Park High. Sedgefield would be a good candidate to switch to Harding High in order to bring Madison Park area (2 miles from Myers Park High, but 8 miles from Harding High) into Myers Park boundaries from Harding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 12:44 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,554,515 times
CMS is a great district and redistricting won't change that. Same with union county, fort mill, gaston county, etc. we live in one of the fastest growing areas of the country - a little reorganization is healthy and necessary to make the best use of resources. If parents spent half as much time trying to improve their students and schools as they do trying to get into the "best" one we would all be better off.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:31 PM

386 posts, read 266,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeFloriduh View Post
Key points are: highly educated (read 25-30%+ with grad degrees), friendly, tight knit (meaning a lot of people have many friends within a walkable and/or compact neighborhood vs sprawled all over three states), great public schools, somewhat urban, shops/restaurants, close to transit, convenient to all the reasons you'd move to Charlotte. Probably not: North Meck/Lake Norman or Ballantyne/Waxhaw/Indian Land. Ideally $500-700k for a SFH. Thanks!
Target $500-700K SFH and highly educated (read 25-30%+ with grad degrees) in Charlotte? Outside of maybe a massive renovation/ expansion project in Charlotte, do SFHs exist meeting EscapeFloriduh's specific highly-educated (25-30% grad degree), neighborhood amenity, and $500-700K criterion?

Northwestern's not walking in the door, but which specific Charlotte neighborhoods could potentially work? On the surface, especially given EscapeFloriduh's no keeping up with the Jones' caveat, the combined requirements appear to be a challenging get. In addition, IMHO such a neighborhood meeting all/most requirements with $500-700K home could be even more challenging to find in Atlanta or DC.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 PM

22 posts, read 13,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
Target $500-700K SFH and highly educated (read 25-30%+ with grad degrees) in Charlotte? Outside of maybe a massive renovation/ expansion project in Charlotte, do SFHs exist meeting EscapeFloriduh's specific highly-educated (25-30% grad degree), neighborhood amenity, and $500-700K criterion?

Northwestern's not walking in the door, but which specific Charlotte neighborhoods could potentially work? On the surface, especially given EscapeFloriduh's no keeping up with the Jones' caveat, the combined requirements appear to be a challenging get. In addition, IMHO such a neighborhood meeting all/most requirements with $500-700K home could be even more challenging to find in Atlanta or DC.
I'm finding that despite the DC metro being more expensive overall, the housing stock and education levels present more opportunities, even within that price range. Part of this exercise was to attempt to find neighborhoods similar to Dilworth beyond the Dilworth/Selwyn/Eastover attendance zones.

I used the criteria because those data points match the census data in real, actual places that exist that we like and are familiar with elsewhere. It's an attempt to get closer to apples-to-apples without having lived there. It's not a snub, it's just trying to identify a more specific profile than "what's a great place to raise a family with good schools" which means a dozen different things to twelve people.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:34 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,554,515 times
Quote:
I think it'll be a challenge... I'm also concerned about maintaining property values the farther you go from Uptown (beyond SouthPark mall) if they bring back bussing/increase magnets. I'd be up for some updating to get into a walkable area as the premium you pay for newer is more than the cost of renovating.

Any thought on living in the Sedgefield zone and doing private school until HS?
You shouldn't be concerned about redistricting harming SouthPark/Barclay Downs/Cotswold hole values. It won't happen. Even as magnets and new lines are drawn, the same affluent families will fulfill the new new capacity. Redistricting is not something to fear.

That said, I think you can find a spot in Eastover if you're patient with your budget.

Many young families are choosing public in sedgefield and sleeping fine with the decision. Be sure to visit the schools before you write them off as inadequate for your child(ren).

Good luck.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:14 AM

6,109 posts, read 8,427,690 times
Quote:
I'm finding that despite the DC metro being more expensive overall, the housing stock and education levels present more opportunities, even within that price range. Part of this exercise was to attempt to find neighborhoods similar to Dilworth beyond the Dilworth/Selwyn/Eastover attendance zones.

I used the criteria because those data points match the census data in real, actual places that exist that we like and are familiar with elsewhere. It's an attempt to get closer to apples-to-apples without having lived there. It's not a snub, it's just trying to identify a more specific profile than "what's a great place to raise a family with good schools" which means a dozen different things to twelve people.
How are the public schools in the DC neighborhoods you've looked into? I would have to believe as well that you'd have a lot harder time finding something to meet your criteria under your budget in DC compared to Charlotte. But unless you work remotely, your salary most likely would be higher.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:14 AM

3,720 posts, read 3,674,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
How are the public schools in the DC neighborhoods you've looked into? I would have to believe as well that you'd have a lot harder time finding something to meet your criteria under your budget in DC compared to Charlotte. But unless you work remotely, your salary most likely would be higher.
He can find something in Reston in his price range but I think it will be hard to find a SFH in Arlington in his budget. He might find a TH but a SFH that isn't a cracker jack box will be tough.My friend bought a fixer upper in Arlington 5 years ago and it was not far off the high part of the OP's budget. He can't really go wrong with FFX County schools or most parts of Arlington County Schools (with the exception of Dogwood elementary in FFX County). I think he would be better suited to Bethesda, MD but again the budget will be the problem. The DC area is an expensive place to live and I believe he said he had his own business. We moved down here from the DC area and we built our 3 level 4600 SQFT home down here for less then we sold our 2600 sqft 3 level TH up there. If we had stayed our kids would have attended Loudoun County schools which I would have had zero problems with especially where we were living at the time. My kids now attend Cabarrus County schools and I am very pleased with the ES. High parent involvement is a positive and helps make the ES successful.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:35 AM

6,109 posts, read 8,427,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
He can find something in Reston in his price range but I think it will be hard to find a SFH in Arlington in his budget. He might find a TH but a SFH that isn't a cracker jack box will be tough.My friend bought a fixer upper in Arlington 5 years ago and it was not far off the high part of the OP's budget. He can't really go wrong with FFX County schools or most parts of Arlington County Schools (with the exception of Dogwood elementary in FFX County). I think he would be better suited to Bethesda, MD but again the budget will be the problem. The DC area is an expensive place to live and I believe he said he had his own business. We moved down here from the DC area and we built our 3 level 4600 SQFT home down here for less then we sold our 2600 sqft 3 level TH up there. If we had stayed our kids would have attended Loudoun County schools which I would have had zero problems with especially where we were living at the time. My kids now attend Cabarrus County schools and I am very pleased with the ES. High parent involvement is a positive and helps make the ES successful.
Of course the mass transit is better in the DC area which might make living a little further out more acceptable, but I was under the impression OP would be looking at inside 495.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 AM

1,749 posts, read 1,393,889 times
Here are the zip codes within the city of Charlotte that meet your criteria for % of adults with a grad degree, high ranking schools, and within 485 loop and then the number of SFH listings under $700k.

28207: 34.4% - Eastover & Myers Park, Only 2 SFH listings under $700k
28203: 29.5% - Dilworth & Wilmore Only 4 SFH listings under $700k in Myers Park High zone
28211: 24.1% - Cotswold, SouthPark, Rama Road area, Sardis Road area 20 listings in Myers Park High zone, 18 in East Meck High zone
28270: 22.6% - Prov Springs, Providence Rd South, Sardis Road area 32 homes Providence High zone, 27 homes in East Meck High zone
28209: 22.4% - Park Road/Woodlawn area 20 homes in Myers Park High zone, 4 in Harding High zone (most of these attend Sedgefield Middle or on busy road)
28226: 21.1% - Carmel Corridor, Olde Prov/Highwy 51 18 homes in South Meck High zone, 34 homes in Myers Park High zone
28204: 20.7% - Elizabeth 1 home in Myers Park High zone

Last edited by CLT4; 02-16-2017 at 07:07 AM..

Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 AM

3,720 posts, read 3,674,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Of course the mass transit is better in the DC area which might make living a little further out more acceptable, but I was under the impression OP would be looking at inside 495.
I read his thread in the Northern VA forum. He wants to be by a Metro stop and he's going to pay dearly for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte