U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:46 AM

152 posts, read 422,008 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Matthews, Fort Mill, or Indian Trail area and we have three big dogs. We are concerned that there are many HOAs that will restrict the number or size of dog you can have. They are not the commonly "restricted breeds" i.e. pit bulls, rotts, or dobermans but they are large. Could you post where you live and what subdivision and what their restrictions are when it comes to dogs? My husband will work in the Ballantyne area so we want to stick within 30 min of there. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,675,212 times
I have not seen too many HOAs for homes (townhomes and Condos are different) restrict size of dogs. In the 3 subdivisions I looked at, they don't even mention dogs. I would think they would have a hard time restricting certain breeds, unless it's against how they are kept. I.E. no dog runs, loud noise, clean up, type of fences, etc. Mind you NC does have quite a few HOA rules about the type of fence, so the bigger the dog, usually the bigger/stronger fence needed, so make sure you can have that type.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:02 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,895,508 times
I'm probably thinking you might have problems with neighbors if you have 3 large dogs in a small lot community. Barking and lovely smells?? Make sure whatever community you check into you ask to read their HOA booklet. The one I'm moving into there are no doghouses allowed period. And don't go there people, I'm an animal lover but definitely wouldn't be happy with 3 large dogs living next to me..

Doesn't Mecklenberg have a limit on how many dogs a house can have?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 PM

999 posts, read 4,260,210 times
Crismark, Indian Trail...."no more than two pets over 6 mos which stay primarily outside the residence shall be permitted at any time"
So I guess you can have more than two if they live inside.....

Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 PM

241 posts, read 814,783 times
3 dogs in our HOA. Union County.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:24 PM

870 posts, read 3,215,146 times
Another great reason not to live in a community with a HOA.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:15 PM

77 posts, read 247,115 times
Thanks for asking this question! I have 2 large dogs and although I am not really looking to be in a small lot neighborhood, I have often wondered should we choose a home in one, what would happen. One of my dogs is a Great Dane and I have heard horror stories of HOA's in other parts of the country giving other Dane owners a hard time.

Rachael

Old 03-03-2008, 01:34 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,675,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Another great reason not to live in a community with a HOA.
Agreed.. I wish I could have.. but alas.. I was unable to find what I liked, I just made sure they weren't overly restrictive.

I understand the number of dogs being restricted, I think that is the noise and smell factor again. I bet it matters on lot size as well, as others have suggested.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:53 PM

9 posts, read 19,127 times
Hi,

I live in a Subdivision that allows you to have 3 dogs. It's a nice family/friendly & dog friendly neighborhood. If you have more than 3, then you'll have to have it approved by the HOA. I am actually selling my home if you are interested. We live in Indian Trail. We even have a dog park in the community. It's only about 1 year old and we have decided to move closer to my husband's job. It's a corner lot which is already fenced in and it is also invisible fence ready, plus we have a dog house which was made by one of my husband's co workers....if someone with dogs purchase the home, we'll leave it...it's too heavy to move.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:03 PM

152 posts, read 422,008 times
One of my dogs is a dane and she is the one I was worried about because of her size. My boys are smaller so I figured the hoa wouldn't bother me about them.

himain which neighborhood do you live in so I know which ones to consider. Won't you be my neighbor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte