U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:28 PM

195 posts, read 481,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Really? Qdoba is a chain owned by Jack in the Box. far from authentic. Chipotle is owned by McDonald's.

Try Sole for good Spanis cuisine too.
Yes Sole is good for Spanish cuisine. We have Chipotle in California. It's not bad for fast food. I think its better than Moe's or Salsaritas by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 PM

672 posts, read 1,646,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Strong View Post
Yes Sole is good for Spanish cuisine. We have Chipotle in California. It's not bad for fast food. I think its better than Moe's or Salsaritas by far.
Yeah, we had Chipotle in TX too which is why I guess it's familiar. But between the 4 I would take the longer drive to go to Chipotle my next best is qdabo, then moe's, and lastly Salsaritas. The best place we get mexican food in Charlotte is at our neighbors house, hehe, sorry she doesn't take orders She did try tiaquana flats and don pablos and didn't like either.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM

195 posts, read 481,959 times
Tried Tijuana Flats too. I think the problem with these places is the food is so far from fresh. Its like being back in High School and eating cafeteria food.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:45 PM

429 posts, read 670,649 times
These three get my vote as well! Although, Salsas is a big hit with my friends. We go there for birthday celebrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchristiansen1021 View Post
Zapatas & Azteca are big FAVORITES! I don't like the chains and these two places are very authentic. Monterrey off of Park Road South is also very authentic.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:53 PM

672 posts, read 1,646,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Strong View Post
Tried Tijuana Flats too. I think the problem with these places is the food is so far from fresh. Its like being back in High School and eating cafeteria food.
Well glad you knew how to spell Tijana flats b/c mine was off a bit Yuck, I'm in no hurry to go eat high school cafeteria like foods Guess I won't be eating there.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:52 PM

30 posts, read 89,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori33 View Post
I lived in Southern Ca all my life up to 2 years ago when we moved here, Mexican Food is the one thing my husband and I miss so much. After a long search and some very bad choices we found La Unica in Indian Trail, we now have a place we can go and get Carne Asada Tacos like we had in Mexico!

It's a small place that everyone is now finding out about so on weekends there's a wait..but I can't keep this myself when a fellow S. Ca. is in need

Enjoy!
Yes, La Unica is the best authentic Mexican restaurant by far. Carnitas and Carne Asada tacos....tastes just like the tacos from the Mission District in SF! Nothing beats La Unica!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:07 AM

70 posts, read 215,685 times
ok - it is five minutes from south Charlotte in Ft. Mill.

Los Aztecas on Tom Hall Rd (160) has carnitas tacos and carne asada tacos like off a taco cart in Mexico. Order them "Mexican Style" which is with cilantro and onions and they come with a great arbol type hot sauce which they call "tomatillo salsa". They also have lengua and the specials are posted on the door in English and Spanish - doesn't get much more authentic IMO.

They are wonderful and inexpensive - most authentic I have found so far.

(and I just got back from Mexico a week ago so I remember what they are supposed to taste like)

Old 03-04-2008, 06:10 AM

241 posts, read 813,627 times
To my understanding, Chipotle actually uses free range meats and mostly organic beans as well. If that's something that interests you. At least they used to. I'm not sure if that's the case once Mickey D's bought them out.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:04 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,168,559 times
My observation on Mexican food is that it completely depends on where you come from. Texans love to come here and say that the Mexican food isn't "real" Mexican food when in fact what they are used to (most of the time) is tex-mex anyway. Mexican food in and of itself also varies by region so it is almost useless to say no-one has authentic Mexican food. It just depends on what you like. Tex-mex is great, don't get me wrong but it isn't the end all and be all of Mexican food!

For what it's worth, one of my best friends just moved here from Houston, Texas about two years ago. Her and her family have tried just about every Mexican restaurant in the southern corridor of Charlotte and their favorite is Los Aztecas in Fort Mill. They have even admitted that it still isn't what they are used to although this restaurant is more authentic Mexican than the tex-mex they prefer. It is owned and run by real Mexicans, although I am sure even there it has been americanized (as all places are so that they can actually sell the food to more people). My in laws also said that this place was there favorite and they too are Mexican "connoisseurs" and from Colorado where apparently their Mexican food is better as well

Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 AM

382 posts, read 1,745,651 times
Has anyone mentioned Salsas off Carmel Rd. yet? Salsas and Cantina are my favorites. I love Moe's for lunch though too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte