U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:19 AM

486 posts, read 287,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supryze View Post
Tons of Auto Repair jobs. What is your husband's specialty?
His specialty? I was say a bit if everything since he has been doing this over 30 years. Only thing he is not familiar with is fleets.

All cars, every make and model. Are there many independent smaller shops also, or are they all dealerships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I drive to Hickory at least once if not twice per week and never any congestion unless an accident of course. It's certainly stress free as compared to 77 south from Mooresville to SC.
Great! So you don't think we will run into many issues coming from Syracuse NY?

Old 02-19-2017, 07:30 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I'm looking forward to our visit and possible relocation there

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think so, they recently upgraded with more lanes thank goodness that is done, and just a bit left to be completed in Statesville area but that has majorly improved in that stretched in the last 6 months. Your word stress free sums up I 40 in Hickory. I have went through plenty of times at different hours and cant recollect sitting in traffic (except returning holiday traffic) It could be that Highway 70 another major thoroughfare runs parallel helps the load.

Only time it has been a tad stressful is the return of holiday traffic from the mountains at the intersection of Hwy 321.
It has cloverleafs. I will always remember first time I attempted this loop, I was listening to my GPS and it said turn right and I loop off I-40 to 321 then it had me back on I40 then back to 321 and I was like only way to stop this is drive to next exit

I think Wolf mention in some other thread, we both agree the infrastructure in Hickory is ahead of the demands.

Far as trails I recommend Bakers Mountain Park. It has paved trails but for a good hike do the Mountain Loop Hike. also walking trail (short) at Bunker Hill Covered Bridge in Clairmont. One of two remaining covered bridges in NC.

One of the beauties about Hickory is a short drive to the mountains since it is in the Foothills. Places with 45 to 50 minutes is South Mountain State Park and Upper Creek Falls.

For nearby towns you both gotta see and is my favorite part of the Foothills and only 15 minutes north of Hickory is drive to Bethlehem NC and drive to Taylorsville, its just gorgeous.

Since this is Charlotte forum and you both want a big city night on the town its in reasonable commute and we can recommend routes that have less traffic.

I really think Hickory is one of North Carolina best secrets. There is a good mixture of nearby nature life and just enough urban needs and without all the congestion and surrounded by rural beauty.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-19-2017 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: fix paragraph markings

Old 02-19-2017, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 2,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm10269123 View Post
His specialty? I was say a bit if everything since he has been doing this over 30 years. Only thing he is not familiar with is fleets.

All cars, every make and model. Are there many independent smaller shops also, or are they all dealerships?
Pretty good mix of both. There are multiple new car dealers in Hickory, several tire shops, many general shops and a handful of specialty shops (i.e. German car).

Old 02-19-2017, 02:49 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,621,986 times
Quote:
Nope. The road infrastructure in the Hickory area is really solid unlike most towns from Lake Norman south to Charlotte and surrounding areas whose population boomed before infrastructure could be installed so now it's a big game of catch up. I was just up there today in fact and it's always (99% of the time) a pleasant ride from Mooresville to Hickory and back.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Nope. The road infrastructure in the Hickory area is really solid unlike most towns from Lake Norman south to Charlotte and surrounding areas whose population boomed before infrastructure could be installed so now it's a big game of catch up. I was just up there today in fact and it's always (99% of the time) a pleasant ride from Mooresville to Hickory and back.

That's good news. I'm not a big fan of traffic congestion and very busy interstates. So how many lanes is I40? And can u tell me if we will be running close to Charlotte traffic on the way to hickory? I'm sorry I haven't looked at Google maps yet

Old 02-19-2017, 05:19 PM

21,962 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
That's good news. I'm not a big fan of traffic congestion and very busy interstates. So how many lanes is I40? And can u tell me if we will be running close to Charlotte traffic on the way to hickory? I'm sorry I haven't looked at Google maps yet
The most direct route to Charlotte, with decent traffic is probably to take 321 south to Gastonia. It's usually a very easy drive. If you went down during rush hour you might hit a backup about 1/2 a mile to 1 mile north of I 85.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:15 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,621,986 times
Quote:
Coming south from NY you shouldn't have a lot of congestion on 40 for the period of time you'd be on. In Hickory it's only 2 lanes each way, which is adequate for the volume of traffic. You will be out of reach of the mess that is CLT traffic!

Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 AM

80 posts, read 143,420 times
Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that Syracuse is a decent sized city of about 145,000, with a metropolitan area of around 660,000. Hickory's population is about 40,000. The Hickory–Lenoir–Morganton metropolitan area is listed as 365,000, but those other principal cities, Lenoir and Morganton are even smaller towns, with populations of 18,000 and 17,000, respectively. The point is, to the extent that you are accustomed to the amenities of a mid-sized American city, you might not find that in the Hickory are. Not saying that's bad, just different. On the other hand, if you spend most of your time in the Syracuse suburbs, shopping at your local strip malls, and only seldom go into the city proper, you might not notice any difference at all (except the weather!). Finally you do have Charlotte about an hour and 15 minutes away (during non-rush hour).

A visit will put everything in perspective. Try to get up to the mountains while you're here to experience one thing you definitely do not have in the Syracuse area.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2017, 11:56 AM

[thank you. We usually stay in the Syracuse area. We don't venture out much. As long as there is shopping, walking and biking trails close by, I think hickory may be an option to live. We want a smaller city but not a boring one. And the weather and mountains will be a plus.

UOTE=fromCT;47257450]One thing to keep in mind is that Syracuse is a decent sized city of about 145,000, with a metropolitan area of around 660,000. Hickory's population is about 40,000. The Hickory–Lenoir–Morganton metropolitan area is listed as 365,000, but those other principal cities, Lenoir and Morganton are even smaller towns, with populations of 18,000 and 17,000, respectively. The point is, to the extent that you are accustomed to the amenities of a mid-sized American city, you might not find that in the Hickory are. Not saying that's bad, just different. On the other hand, if you spend most of your time in the Syracuse suburbs, shopping at your local strip malls, and only seldom go into the city proper, you might not notice any difference at all (except the weather!). Finally you do have Charlotte about an hour and 15 minutes away (during non-rush hour).

A visit will put everything in perspective. Try to get up to the mountains while you're here to experience one thing you definitely do not have in the Syracuse area.

Good luck![/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte