U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2017, 08:38 AM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Reputation: 3366

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Just be aware that the further you get south of Mooresville the worse the commute becomes. If he's going to be working in Mooresville more often than driving to the airport that's something to keep in mind. Personally I would not want to do the drive from any further south than Cornelius to Mooresville. I know many will say it's not that big a deal but sitting on 77 day after day will wear you out. Some days it will be OK and others it will take an hour to go 5 miles.

Davidson is a very nice area though with plenty to offer and would be a smidge closer to the airport than Mooresville but still easy enough to get to Mville daily.
While it's certainly not what you'd think a "reverse commute" would be, it's still worse going towards Charlotte in the mornings/away in the evenings than the other way around. I don't do it every day but I've found the mornings going north on 77 towards Mooresville to not be nearly as bad as the evenings coming back. I think Huntersville would still be fine, particularly the northern parts as you can still take roads other than I-77. Sure, there might be traffic on those too but I think it'd be rare for it to take 45 minutes or more to get from Huntersville to Mooresville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2017, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,143 posts, read 2,611,328 times
Reputation: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
While it's certainly not what you'd think a "reverse commute" would be, it's still worse going towards Charlotte in the mornings/away in the evenings than the other way around. I don't do it every day but I've found the mornings going north on 77 towards Mooresville to not be nearly as bad as the evenings coming back. I think Huntersville would still be fine, particularly the northern parts as you can still take roads other than I-77. Sure, there might be traffic on those too but I think it'd be rare for it to take 45 minutes or more to get from Huntersville to Mooresville.
If anything at all happens on 77 pretty much 21 running adjacent to it up through Davidson is a hot mess, I'd rather just sit on 77 and slowly make my way north.

I guess it'd all depend on the OPs husbands tolerance to traffic really. If he's cool with it, likes a gamble each morning and doesn't get too worked up about it than Huntersville would be fine. lol I did the hour commute each way for 6 years and it wore me down finally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2017, 03:25 PM
 
13 posts, read 5,758 times
Reputation: 10
Well, the husband doesn't have a good tolerance for traffic, so Wolf Howl's suggestions may be best - lol. I hope everyone in NC is as nice as all of you are, trying to help us with this decision! Thanks, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2017, 08:22 PM
 
164 posts, read 127,623 times
Reputation: 403
Something to consider: Rush hour traffic going south from Mooresville can be grueling. If you live on the Davidson side of I-77, there are a few things that can shave a lot of time from that drive. Jumping over to Mechlenburg turnpike helps. It runs parallel to 77. Also, exit 33 has a service road that runs parallel to 77 and it can be used to access Langtree Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2017, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,143 posts, read 2,611,328 times
Reputation: 1660
Once you get further into the decision making, if you can spend a few days during the work week in town and have him/you actually do the drives from various points from Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson and Mooresville to where he'd work and the airport it'd give you an idea of reality too. It may/may not be outside the comfort level of hubby and you're all set or you might find being closer to work is preferable. Good luck either way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2017, 05:35 AM
 
13 posts, read 5,758 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the road tips, AndrewCarnegie. Yes, we will be spending some time prior to the move looking at the area, so we can test it out, Wolf Howl. Can anyone tell me what downtown Davidson is like? Are there lots of restaurants/bars and shops to walk to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2017, 06:57 AM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
If anything at all happens on 77 pretty much 21 running adjacent to it up through Davidson is a hot mess, I'd rather just sit on 77 and slowly make my way north.

I guess it'd all depend on the OPs husbands tolerance to traffic really. If he's cool with it, likes a gamble each morning and doesn't get too worked up about it than Huntersville would be fine. lol I did the hour commute each way for 6 years and it wore me down finally.
Just to clarify, what was the hour commute that you did?

OP, yes downtown Davidson is nice. It might be the "best" downtown of Charlotte's suburban areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2017, 05:42 PM
 
13 posts, read 5,758 times
Reputation: 10
GoPhils, thank you for the comment on Davidson downtown. I would like to check it out before we make a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2017, 05:56 PM
 
164 posts, read 127,623 times
Reputation: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojonole5598 View Post
Thanks for the road tips, AndrewCarnegie. Yes, we will be spending some time prior to the move looking at the area, so we can test it out, Wolf Howl. Can anyone tell me what downtown Davidson is like? Are there lots of restaurants/bars and shops to walk to?

Here you go (below). I just Googled pictures of Main Street Davidson NC. It is a very nice, very safe area. Davidson College is literally across the street and it is a top 10 US liberal arts college. We don't see too many students around as they are worked pretty hard in school so you have none of the problems with college students acting stupid like you find in too many other schools.

There are several restaurants along the 3-4 block area of Main Street but there are many, many more within just a few miles.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=main+stree...ax=1&ia=images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 05:50 AM
 
13 posts, read 5,758 times
Reputation: 10
AndrewCarnegie, great photos! Thanks so much for the info on Davidson and the college. I think I would like the college atmosphere even at my age!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top