Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriamg View Post
Our max would be $300k Home with No HOA, No Cookie cutter and not on top of each other. Shopping is important max of 30 min away we like to be close to everything. We enjoy going out to restaurants, movies and walking around. Being near a lake is great but not important. Religion is not important. But traffic? We don't want to deal with it anymore so I'm guessing we should focus on the South end but where? moving is not easy and what makes it difficult is Charlotte is beautiful all around.
HELP...
Your kids may get jobs on the north side of town or Mooresville, but in most cases there is going to be a higher concentration of jobs closer to uptown and most wouldn't recommend doing that drive from Mooresville. Although I'm a bit confused, will the kids be living with you or on their own?

If they will be living with you, I know this phrase gets used a lot but I'd suggest renting first until they know where they'd be working.

But in general, no HOA will really limit your options in the suburban areas, and under $300K will rule out much of S Charlotte. I'm not sure there is a whole lot with no HOA in Huntersville under $300K. Mooresville could work if you don't need to be in Charlotte often. Mint Hill, Matthews, Concord and Gastonia could have some options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 08:10 PM

12 posts, read 28,599 times
Hi GoPhils,
Yes the kids will be living with us. As for renting issue is we have 3 dogs and I know up here it's Very difficult to find houses to rent with pets allowed.
I/we don't want to live in a rural area and the little we saw of Mooresville was rural. I will look into Concord and Gastonia as the other two areas you suggested we didn't see many homes under 300k.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:58 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
Hi GoPhils,
Yes the kids will be living with us. As for renting issue is we have 3 dogs and I know up here it's Very difficult to find houses to rent with pets allowed.
I/we don't want to live in a rural area and the little we saw of Mooresville was rural. I will look into Concord and Gastonia as the other two areas you suggested we didn't see many homes under 300k.
You might want to expand on your definition of "rural" and houses being "not on top of each other." Earlier you mentioned you didn't want to be more than 30 mins away from shopping, but there are several "rural" areas that you can get to a lot of shopping in less than 30 mins (such as parts of all the areas I mentioned, although I'd say Matthews has the least amount of rural parts of those).

Are you saying you've found homes you like under $300K with no HOA in Huntersville and Mooresville? I think overall Huntersville and Mooresville are comparatively priced to Matthews, and Mint Hill is typically lower than those IMO. Are you looking for a newer/larger home? You might be able to find something in S/SE Charlotte or Belmont depending on the answer to that. I'd guess you are looking in the 1/4-1/2 acre lot range? Under 1/4 you're likely in cookie cutter territory and over 1/2 might be too rural for you.

As I mentioned above I do think it might be difficult to find what you're looking for with no HOA. I'm just guessing but I'd say about 80% of the suburban neighborhoods built after 1980 or so will have an HOA, however some are a lot more strict than others so that may be something to look into if you're not finding what you're looking for without an HOA. But in general most of the homes without an HOA will be in the more urban or rural areas.

Last edited by GoPhils; 02-26-2017 at 06:32 AM..

Old 02-26-2017, 01:01 PM

26 posts, read 28,532 times
Yes if work isn't a factor Charlotte can be looked at as a special outting to go to a game, show, event etc. mooresville and huntersville have everything you would need for day to day living. As for having adult children who could be living with you then Huntersville might be better location wise if they end up working in Charlotte. No one would want to commute regularly from Mooresville. (Although once the 77 is done being widened it will be much more doable.)

I think to the East of the 77 in Mooresville it can get more rural but on the other side closer to the Lake isn't rural. But even the more rural areas are close to all the shopping and dinning so it's not isolated from everything.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:04 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny16 View Post
No one would want to commute regularly from Mooresville. (Although once the 77 is done being widened it will be much more doable.)
At whatever cost they plan to charge for the Lexus lanes. Supposedly up to $20 each way during peak times.

And you know they plan to keep the free lanes as congested as they can so people will pay ransom money to use the Lexus lanes.

No thanks!

Old 02-26-2017, 07:30 PM

488 posts, read 798,903 times
Quote:
Our max would be $300k Home with No HOA, No Cookie cutter and not on top of each other. Shopping is important max of 30 min away we like to be close to everything. We enjoy going out to restaurants, movies and walking around. Being near a lake is great but not important. Religion is not important. But traffic? We don't want to deal with it anymore so I'm guessing we should focus on the South end but where? moving is not easy and what makes it difficult is Charlotte is beautiful all around.
HELP...
There is no way around traffic in Charlotte. We complain in the north end, but south traffic is equally horrible.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:35 PM

364 posts, read 635,610 times
I know traffic wise I wouldn't want the Mooresville to Charlotte commute daily. Though I currently go from Charlotte to Mooresville each day. Morning isn't too bad (but I leave early) though it is much worse than even a few years ago. Going home can be horrible especially around exit 31 or 31 south to 28. Sometimes 36 down to 23 or 18 can be bad. It is almost guaranteed to be bad around exit 31.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,614 times
We are in the same situation. My boys are 8 and 11 so I like Mooresvilles school system. Someone told me about Holly Park also. We are done with winters in NJ. I would work from home so commute is not a problem. Any other towns in NC that have a great school system but closer to the ocean? If I can't have the ocean, the lake is second best!

Old 03-20-2017, 04:32 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtnt52 View Post
We are in the same situation. My boys are 8 and 11 so I like Mooresvilles school system. Someone told me about Holly Park also. We are done with winters in NJ. I would work from home so commute is not a problem. Any other towns in NC that have a great school system but closer to the ocean? If I can't have the ocean, the lake is second best!
Here's a great site to look up school systems and their report card to learn how they stack up in the state.

NC School Report Cards

Old 03-20-2017, 09:06 PM

197 posts, read 232,282 times
miriamg, I am a retired Officer from N. Jersey. Wife and I had been checking this area out for about 10 years and finally we both retired and now living in an apartment in Mooresville for about three months deciding whether to build or buy a house. I would suggest renting at first in the Mooresville area. They do accept pets for a price of course. The closer to Rt. 77 the more city like. I would compare it to Parsippany in NJ. Going towards the west to Sherrills Ford or Denver it is more rural but will develop over the years. We like the area and the people. 300,000 wont get you much here near the lake but it will get you a nice house a mile or so from the lake. There are many new communities in that price range from around 250000 to 300,000. Communities on the lake will run from the high 3's to 500,000. Waterfront even more. Be careful about areas without public water and sewer. If you have a well and septic and aren't used to it, you might not be happy with it. There is a lot of traffic at peak hours, but being retired we don't mind it and its no where near as bad as Rt.80 in NJ during rush hour. It does move here but slowly sometimes. A lot of traffic lights. The people here are wonderful and very welcoming. Its not NJ but we didn't want it to be. The weather here is terrific. But just an inch of snow here will shut down schools. We can't wait to get a house but we love being here and will never go back. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte