U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-28-2017, 07:42 AM
 
29,688 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Reputation: 18228

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I dunno about the frequenting deal, I didn't but just my experiences. I have lived all over DC and in DC city. Commuted using every metro line red, orange, blue, yellow green and it can still be a hassle getting from point A to point B. I mean you really gotta have a reason or cause to go to those places. Charlotte metro is much smaller and less urban/dense so it's easier to navigate and hitting other parts of the city metro is no biggy.
Well in a big city like DC, you have a lot more options for nightlife and such. You can hit the city proper (Georgetown, Adam's Morgan, U Street, etc.) or other places in the 'burbs. Someone from Bowie might travel to Georgetown infrequently but it would be easier for them to hang out in downtown Silver Spring or Takoma Park. But one big draw in DC proper for suburbanites is the abundance of the free museums/memorials. That's makes for an easy outing for families or single folks any time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2017, 12:46 PM
 
859 posts, read 417,531 times
Reputation: 533
Charlotte and the outskirts are great. It's like a big exciting suburb. The airport is top rated. You can park for free in town. People are cultured in that they're friendly, unlike in many cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2017, 04:51 AM
 
3,451 posts, read 3,132,169 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well in a big city like DC, you have a lot more options for nightlife and such. You can hit the city proper (Georgetown, Adam's Morgan, U Street, etc.) or other places in the 'burbs. Someone from Bowie might travel to Georgetown infrequently but it would be easier for them to hang out in downtown Silver Spring or Takoma Park. But one big draw in DC proper for suburbanites is the abundance of the free museums/memorials. That's makes for an easy outing for families or single folks any time of year.

No one from Bowie in my circle would ever say let's roll to Silver Spring or Takoma Park to hangout...why? Everything you need is in PG county for the most part. Maybe the National Harbor area, downtown or Annapolis (waterfront) but there has to be a reason (family, friends, etc) or significant event to go to those places you're talking about...not worth the hassle especially with family in tow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2017, 09:46 AM
 
391 posts, read 240,786 times
Reputation: 262
Can we bring this thread back to Charlotte maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2017, 10:12 AM
 
29,688 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Reputation: 18228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No one from Bowie in my circle would ever say let's roll to Silver Spring or Takoma Park to hangout...why? Everything you need is in PG county for the most part. Maybe the National Harbor area, downtown or Annapolis (waterfront) but there has to be a reason (family, friends, etc) or significant event to go to those places you're talking about...not worth the hassle especially with family in tow.
Well most of my friends are single, so there's that. I'd think that a lot of families would head to the city for the free museums, zoo, monuments, festivals, etc. that are always happening in downtown DC--and they can take the train to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2017, 11:43 PM
 
4 posts, read 3,362 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
Philippines, Korea, Japan, and other victims of bombardment made such a wonderful because of the Marshal Plan and millions of U.S. dollars. I was in the British forces, I have been been to Manila and Luzon. I'm a resident of Charlotte and have been here a few years, long enough to realize that Charlotte (and area) is a self made and rose to fame due to local brain and brawn, i.e. banking, trucking, Nascar, Lance, specialty equipment manufacturing, Lowes, Duke Power Co., and much more. In my experience in the U.S., I have found that the "strong unions" of the north have turned the cities into huge, unpleasant habitats forcing inhabitants to leave and more desirable places like Charlotte where the economy is generally above average. This happened in the U.K. decades ago. People left Manchester and other industrial union towns and went south to London and other more desirable areas. Sorry Mr. Black but your passage is nonsense.
Well, Manila and Luzon are kind of the same thing, like saying "I have been to Charlotte and North Carolina." I just pointed out that the reason culture works well in a city that still has leftover bombed out buildings from WWII and looks like a giant flea market is that there aren't that many outsiders living there, and the few there keep themselves mostly confined to Makati. Charlotte is all outsiders and most don't last but a few years here, bringing little to no culture with them and the locals are now too poor to really establish any culture (and even when we try, the yuppies get mad and whine about it...remember Shuffletown?)

I wouldn't say it was the unions that caused people to come to Charlotte. Maybe during the first wave Ohio exodus (where Charlotte is as far as they could get on a tank of gas). The vast majority of businesses that dragged their workforce here aren't in industries that have unions since they often pay well enough that they don't need them. It's the supporting industries that employ locals that have the unions.

Charlotte is hardly "self-made". We were just a good ol' Carolinas textiles hub until we got a cut of the New Deal. The airport and interstate system was built with that money opening us up to outside businesses that let us see some growth (like BoA moving here). In the meantime, the state was handing out welfare to businesses that moved to NC, under the assumption they'd hire locals and create jobs. Of course, they didn't, besides crappy McJobs. They just took the money and dragged their workers with them. Bill Clinton then signs away textiles to Mexico and China, and next thing you know we're a city of poor locals and much wealthier transplants leaving us as one of the worst cities for income inequality and economic mobility. Now, if we had retail and food service unions here, that would go very far to fix a lot of our problems by replacing the massive loss we took outsourcing textiles.

On a side note, Duke Energy was created by a gilded age robber baron that had a monopoly on tobacco and it has held a monopoly on electricity in this region since. It's the furthest from "self-made" a company can get in this nation.

Last edited by Tony Black; 05-03-2017 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2017, 08:10 AM
 
3,451 posts, read 3,132,169 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post
Well, Manila and Luzon are kind of the same thing, like saying "I have been to Charlotte and North Carolina." I just pointed out that the reason culture works well in a city that still has leftover bombed out buildings from WWII and looks like a giant flea market is that there aren't that many outsiders living there, and the few there keep themselves mostly confined to Makati. Charlotte is all outsiders and most don't last but a few years here, bringing little to no culture with them and the locals are now too poor to really establish any culture (and even when we try, the yuppies get mad and whine about it...remember Shuffletown?)

I wouldn't say it was the unions that caused people to come to Charlotte. Maybe during the first wave Ohio exodus (where Charlotte is as far as they could get on a tank of gas). The vast majority of businesses that dragged their workforce here aren't in industries that have unions since they often pay well enough that they don't need them. It's the supporting industries that employ locals that have the unions.

Charlotte is hardly "self-made". We were just a good ol' Carolinas textiles hub until we got a cut of the New Deal. The airport and interstate system was built with that money opening us up to outside businesses that let us see some growth (like BoA moving here). In the meantime, the state was handing out welfare to businesses that moved to NC, under the assumption they'd hire locals and create jobs. Of course, they didn't, besides crappy McJobs. They just took the money and dragged their workers with them. Bill Clinton then signs away textiles to Mexico and China, and next thing you know we're a city of poor locals and much wealthier transplants leaving us as one of the worst cities for income inequality and economic mobility. Now, if we had retail and food service unions here, that would go very far to fix a lot of our problems by replacing the massive loss we took outsourcing textiles.

On a side note, Duke Energy was created by a gilded age robber baron that had a monopoly on tobacco and it has held a monopoly on electricity in this region since. It's the furthest from "self-made" a company can get in this nation.
What an asinine rant. Every city/town/region has a culture, Charlotte's a mix bag of old/new, transplants, banking, Nascar, etc etc. I mean really, what is the culture of Omaha or Des Moines? Who fckn cares...they have one and culture doesn't have to be pre-WWII or slap in you in the face to exist.

You do realize that every generation or so industry changes and people have to adapt. Automation is replacing a lot of non-skilled jobs, not Bill Clinton. Bill Clinton didn't coerce one ivory tower right wing executive to move a job to China or Mexico. America is competing in a global workforce environment because of advancements in technology, the adaptation continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2017, 07:24 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,363,143 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post

Charlotte is hardly "self-made". We were just a good ol' Carolinas textiles hub until we got a cut of the New Deal. The airport and interstate system was built with that money opening us up to outside businesses that let us see some growth (like BoA moving here). In the meantime, the state was handing out welfare to businesses that moved to NC, under the assumption they'd hire locals and create jobs. Of course, they didn't, besides crappy McJobs. They just took the money and dragged their workers with them. Bill Clinton then signs away textiles to Mexico and China, and next thing you know we're a city of poor locals and much wealthier transplants leaving us as one of the worst cities for income inequality and economic mobility. Now, if we had retail and food service unions here, that would go very far to fix a lot of our problems by replacing the massive loss we took outsourcing textiles.
That is the biggest pile of uniformed gobbledygook I've read in quite some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2017, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,161 posts, read 2,214,292 times
Reputation: 2354
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
That is the biggest pile of uniformed gobbledygook I've read in quite some time.
Yeah, because BofA is actually NCNB, the NC bank that had high aspirations.

and 50% of Wells Fargo is Wachovia- First Union, homegrown NC institutions as well..


Remember NCNB's slogan set to music?

"We want to be the best bank in the neigh-bor-hood."


North Carolina was still untamed wilderness when Charleston and Richmond were among the most influential and largest cities in nascent America,

but NC's wealth of natural resources firmly planted the state on it's still-unfinished trajectory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2017, 11:19 AM
 
3,451 posts, read 3,132,169 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Yeah, because BofA is actually NCNB, the NC bank that had high aspirations.

and 50% of Wells Fargo is Wachovia- First Union, homegrown NC institutions as well..


Remember NCNB's slogan set to music?

"We want to be the best bank in the neigh-bor-hood."


North Carolina was still untamed wilderness when Charleston and Richmond were among the most influential and largest cities in nascent America,

but NC's wealth of natural resources firmly planted the state on it's still-unfinished trajectory.
Lol, those jingles were something else. Although not Charlotte, remember Jefferson Pilot (originally Pilot Life based in Gboro) commericial..."sail with the Pilot". The NCNB and JP were the most catchy and memorable in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4gptzlIGow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top