U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:02 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,302,960 times

Advertisements

I don't know about all the items on that list but as someone from western NC (admittedly not born and raised here though), I am not a 'Charlotte' fan mainly because every time I have gone there I have gotten tremendously lost, and often it seems in areas that made me very uncomfortable and wanting to find my way out quickly. I just don't know the area well enough to avoid them it seems - and I am not sure how I get to know Charlotte better so that I don't get into that situation unless all I do is stay on the highway system on the outskirts where at least I am not too lost.

That may not be totally Charlotte's fault but it may be Charlotte's problem - people who are unfamiliar with the area may not get the best impression if they get too far off a highway trying to find their way around. When you add to that a several hour drive to get there and a hot sticky summer day, nerves can get quickly frazzled when one cannot even find what one came looking for easily and ends up in neighbourhoods that probably most locals themselves avoid.

After several attempts to enjoy 'visiting' the Charlotte area and not being enchanted, I just don't go to Charlotte any more - I find Greenville SC (which is closer but doesn't have all the stores I would like to go to either) much easier to navigate for some reason so I go there when I need something that cannot be obtained here or I just want to spend a day browsing the stores, etc.

But, I do have to ask, what would make it worth my time as a tourist or visitor to go to Charlotte specifically? Is there some wonder of the world I have missed by giving up so easily? I am sure there is more to Charlotte than I have seen - and honestly I wish I didn't have such a negative impression of the place - so enlighten me and entice me, please. Maybe I will try again.

p.s. I don't use a navigation program of any type though so it better be easy to find. I can write down directions before I leave home but somehow once I get there and am on the highways surrounding the city it never is as easy to find the right exit etc. as I hoped it might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:11 AM

376 posts, read 222,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCarnegie View Post
I based this comment on SAT/ACT scores of NC versus Massachusetts, where we moved from. I don't remember the details now but looked at test scores in both states and the Boston suburbs had much higher test scores than NC. In fact, I don't think any of school in NC had the same test score level that my town had in Mass. Of course, Massachusetts is unique in that it is a hub of technologically-, medically-, pharmaceutical-, and financially-related industries in addition to having a few very large top-tier universities such as MIT and Harvard.
Eastern MA v western MA, and metro Boston in particular with its' 40+ universities and colleges; or comparisons with other generally more affluent, generally higher-educated New England or other northeast locations may not be an entirely reasonable comparison.

On the other hand, South Meck HS info someone recently posted was interesting. For example, I believe I read 100% of a recent class graduated with a B or higher grade average (huh?), no + or - grading which would more accurately differentiate performance (just simple A, B, C, D ... marking), other inferred suggestions of "everybody gets a trophy" creeping into the school's operations, etc.

Perhaps a few South Meck helicopter parents demand the warm fuzzies, but to what extent do the latter come with well educated progeny by national or global standards, i.e., which universities accept kids who in turn graduate versus potentially heavily-coached successes in standardized elementary, middle/junior high, and HS kids in CMS? The list of colleges and universities college-bound South Meck grads planned to attend included some highly respected schools, but was generally a bit less impressive than anticipated.

With all due respect to anyone prone to engage in arguments, the prior comments reflect one perception of info South Meck touted. The latter could be off the mark, but metro Boston's not CMS and vice versa. Each have their good, and some less favorable features.

Last edited by Laowai; 02-24-2017 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Fix typos suggesting woeful education ;)

Old 02-24-2017, 09:24 AM

2,822 posts, read 4,117,481 times
The OP has not been back since the first post... maybe he/she is trying to get a rise out of us?

I am a native of Charlotte and contrary to what most seem to think I would be THRILLED if so many people quit moving to Charlotte.

Keep the 'Real facts' coming - maybe it will deter some people from moving!

Old 02-24-2017, 11:49 AM

718 posts, read 720,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Here's one: New Yorkers and other Northerners that come here to escape the taxes, cost of living, and bulls..t and then complain about everything and try to make Charlotte like the same area they escaped...........

I will second this! Why complain about how it is nothing like the place you just left? Why did you leave then? GO back then? Charlotte is wonderful in many many ways beyond peoples imagination. If you can't see that then you are not trying

Old 02-24-2017, 11:55 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,376,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCarnegie View Post
I based this comment on SAT/ACT scores of NC versus Massachusetts, where we moved from. I don't remember the details now but looked at test scores in both states and the Boston suburbs had much higher test scores than NC. In fact, I don't think any of school in NC had the same test score level that my town had in Mass. Of course, Massachusetts is unique in that it is a hub of technologically-, medically-, pharmaceutical-, and financially-related industries in addition to having a few very large top-tier universities such as MIT and Harvard.

Ah - that explains your flawed reasoning. NC tests a higher percentage of students, both preparing and not preparing for higher education. I'll show you the data later but the average Mass student isn't brighter than the average NC one despite the outcomes of your initial queries.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:27 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,339,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Ah - that explains your flawed reasoning. NC tests a higher percentage of students, both preparing and not preparing for higher education. I'll show you the data later but the average Mass student isn't brighter than the average NC one despite the outcomes of your initial queries.
I also thought the percentage tested in NC was higher, but evidently that is not the case.

Ma. tested 86% in most recently reported years on SAT/ACT

NC. tested 63% in most recently reported years on SAT/ACT

Average SAT Scores by State (Most Recent)

Old 02-24-2017, 01:21 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,376,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I also thought the percentage tested in NC was higher, but evidently that is not the case.

Ma. tested 86% in most recently reported years on SAT/ACT

NC. tested 63% in most recently reported years on SAT/ACT

Average SAT Scores by State (Most Recent)
Thanks. Looks like Massachusetts does test at a higher percentage with higher scores - impressive. I stand corrected.

I'd still argue CMS is a great district, but it does look like the data supports the claim that Mass. scores are indeed better. Perhaps there was a big drop off in NC in participation rate as I recall our rate being much higher in years past.

State Participation Reading Math Writing Total New SAT
North Carolina 63% 502 508 475 1485 1090
Massachusetts 86% 517 530 506 1553 1120

Old 02-24-2017, 01:26 PM

65 posts, read 52,767 times
mod cut

1) Charlotte Natives have very poor work ethics (tardy, absents, go home early's, not my fault, not my job) Or, a relaxed attitude to life/work balance? I'd have to agree though, from my POV as an implant, work ethic in my sphere really poor
2) Documented poor school system (ranked very low in nation) No comment
3) Poor Driving habits (lack of turn signals, run red lights, tail gate, speed) K'n A. Text/do makeup/insert any other thing that takes your attention away from driving....and did you say SPEED - sick to hell of people doing 60+ along 51 or Providence......
4) Inspection of Motor Vehicles is worthless ( headlights, damage, turn signals, bald tires) LOL - don't get me started.
5) Does the Sheriffs dept have any duties besides the jail? Community guards, traffic control on the many big churches?
6) It seems the Charlotte natives spent more time whining than cleaning there front yards or houses Who's whining?
7) Natives can organize protests but not clean up there behavior Examples to back up your 'fact'?
8) Politicians- really?? Lets pay attention to who whines the loudest no comment, they're the same everywhere
9) Police Chief needs to instruct his force how to use turn signals Agree - cops don't follow road rules, why should we?
10) Having Pro Sports Teams in a city doesn't make you a good place to live. True, but adds value to a lot of people's lives
11) School grounds are embarrassing. Gum, paper, weeds, dirty parking lots, dirty windows. Don't hang around schools much.
12) Don't know where to start about the roads. They're not that bad, it's just the drivers. Oh and hey, install some stinking road lights and cat eyes in the lanes when it rains at night, can't see jack squat
13) Northlake Mall has become the Punk Spot. Punk's not dead....guess they need someplace to hang
14) Natives tossing junk/trash out there car windows seems to be a common practice Not seen it happen once yet.
15) Is there any Charlotte Area Native who doesn't own a gun?? It's an American thing, not just Charlotte.
16) News channels that are nothing but social media clubs. (go Wilson!) Gave up on 'news' along time ago. Get balanced reporting from multiple sources.
17) No Oldies Radio Channel (I mean good Beach Boys, Elvis stuff.) Try Sirius or Pandora - there are options. But free to air.....agree, NPR and 95.7 are about the only palatable stations for differing purposes
18) No 24 hour Local Weather Over the Air Channel put head out window and hang a piece of string. is it wet? it's raining, dry, and casting a shadow, it's sunny, moving, it's windy.
19) More colleges and universities than other large cities- but what for?? erm education?
20) More vacant warehouse, and new construction warehouses than anywhere I've been- ??? Transition thing....think of it as oppportunity
21) Only one public swim beach on the entire lake Norman and the politicians didn't plan for parking 17 trillion car parks for the shopping centers.....try getting a park at Freedom Park on a nice day. this is more a planning issue though I guess - not an easy fix
22) Surrounding area Police Depts that are bigger and better equipped than Charlotte no comment
23) Hot, humid weather that make your shorts stick to your buns but has many benefits right men?
24) Deadly parasites in the warm water that will harm you - not to laugh at the tragedy, but ha ha to the comment. Tried living in Australia?
25) largest population of bugs I've ever seen no, not a fact. You don't get epidemic fly problems here and cicadas are full of character. You can take the canker worms and shove them in your exhaust pipe though....
26) mystery pink eye, coughs, infections, blemishes, limping, soreness than anywhere I've ever seen. Yeah that pink eye sucks....only seen it once in 3 years. Again, tried living in London? That's a hot pit of sweaty vile bacteria waiting to land.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-24-2017 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 02-24-2017, 02:59 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,339,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Thanks. Looks like Massachusetts does test at a higher percentage with higher scores - impressive. I stand corrected.

I'd still argue CMS is a great district, but it does look like the data supports the claim that Mass. scores are indeed better. Perhaps there was a big drop off in NC in participation rate as I recall our rate being much higher in years past.

State Participation Reading Math Writing Total New SAT
North Carolina 63% 502 508 475 1485 1090
Massachusetts 86% 517 530 506 1553 1120
I would have tended to agree with you at first blush, but I checked. I seem to remember our testing rate being among the highest in the country at one point. I believe the movement away from the SAT has caused us to stop testing everyone and begin to be more selective amid the rising cost of testing and the push for less testing by parents and taxpayers.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:44 PM

164 posts, read 126,750 times
Back to the subject of test scores and a little off topic. I dumped the scores from the above link to a spreadsheet and was surprised how many states have very low participation rates. I assume this is because they are taking some other test such as the ACT? Obviously I am no expert on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte