Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:17 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,030,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCarnegie View Post
Back to the subject of test scores and a little off topic. I dumped the scores from the above link to a spreadsheet and was surprised how many states have very low participation rates. I assume this is because they are taking some other test such as the ACT? Obviously I am no expert on this subject.
Some states only test in their AP/ International Baccalaureate classes (3 or 4% of total student body), or only those that are applying to colleges and universities in their junior years.
At one time, the though was to test only the top students and therefore test score results would be very high.

I think the percentages quoted are for both the ACT and the SAT.

If you calculate for all the AP tests giving in each state, the numbers are a bit closer, but Ma. still has a higher percentage of students taking the test than NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 03:09 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,326 times
I am a native of north Georgia and keep evaluating if Charlotte is the right place for me (my family has lived in the south since 1608) most of that in North Carolina.

The 2 biggest potential complaints I think I would have about Charlotte
1. nonwalkability/sprawl (although I don't think this would be as bad as say Atlanta)
2. the heat (despite being a southerner, I despise the long, hot summers. I'd move up north but problem is the north is full of (in my experience) less than hospitable people, especially once they hear my accent and find out I am from the south)

Old 02-27-2017, 11:24 AM

645 posts, read 1,067,913 times
It all boils down to this simple fact:

The mean age of Charlotte is 37 years. That means that there are a LOT of people under forty who have more money than brains.

Occam's Razor.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:11 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,485,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters123 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it Dawn, he obviously has a reading comprehension problem.
Thank you.

Charlotte is certainly a great place. If it weren't, we would not have stayed for 12 years.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:17 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,485,846 times
NM, if anyone wants info, PM me.

Last edited by DawnW; 03-03-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 03-11-2017, 09:08 AM

501 posts, read 528,299 times
Oh Charlotte is just terrible and everyone avoids it. That s why only 800,000 people moved to the metro area between 2004-1014, not to mention that only Denver had more people move there last year. Behind Charlotte was Seattle. Yep, terrible place (says the guy from Hogshag, Iowa).

Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 AM

926 posts, read 827,010 times
Charlotte is a great city, HOWEVER it does lack in certain things that cities of its size has, which I think is what the OP is trying to say. Though it should be known Charlotte had a relatively small metropolitan compared to cities we think are the same size as Charlotte such as Atlanta, Boston, and San Francisco. Charlotte is somewhat like Anchorage AK in that way.

Last edited by Archer705; 03-11-2017 at 09:57 AM..

Old 03-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Charlotte is a great city, HOWEVER it does lack in certain things that cities of its size has, which I think is what the OP is trying to say. Though it should be known Charlotte had a relatively small metropolitan compared to cities we think are the same size as Charlotte such as Atlanta, Boston, and San Francisco.
Specifics would be nice. I don't think that anyone with a brain believes that Charlotte is the same size of Boston, Atlanta, or San Francisco. The truth is, some people get on these threads and feel like big city authority by belittling Charlotte which is now a "big" city. It may not be Atlanta, but by American standards, it is big, not supper big. But, it is now larger than Pittsburgh and almost as large as Baltimore which have been considered as big cities. I find that the naysayers on the board are simply people that don't adjust well and do not care to adjust and most content people that are on the boards or that I meet in places from the very big cities adjust well and love it here.

Making a statement like Charlotte lacks certain things that other cities of its size have is pretty vague. For example, Portland is close in population. They have a Pacific coast, we don't. Columbus, Ohio has a big zoo, we don't. Cincinnati has a riverfront. We don't presently. To be fair, we have things that other cities lack as well, for example, the Whitewater Center, Charlotte Motor Speedway, etc. Of course there are certain things that are unique to all cities. All cities have things that other cities don't have. The way we are growing and with the number of out of state people relocating here must indicate that nobody moving here cares to build or add the things that are missing. Maybe the ones complaining can do something about that. But, what are they? The thing that we don't have that most other large cities in the U.S. have is a waterway, either a major navigable river or a seashore. Maybe the river will have something to offer with the growth and development going on presently.

I have noticed over the years that people have changed their topics of gripes. For example, people used to say that there weren't vegetarian, Korean, Cuban, or Mexican restaurants, or bakeries. No more. They also complained about clubs and entertainment, no more. The list goes on. Many things that weren't available five years ago are now available and as fast as this city is growing, we should soon have anything anyone wants. However, there will always be something that another city has that we won't have. That is what makes cities unique.

I like lots of cities. By defending Charlotte in some situations doesn't mean that I think we are perfect. I believe that we are improving every day and based on the popularity of Charlotte, anyone can see that we are better than the huge majority of other places in the U.S. Not having everything has not deterred the massive movement here.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:11 AM

It is clear that you have never been to another city. You should get out more. On second thought, stay home.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:48 PM

645 posts, read 1,067,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
Oh Charlotte is just terrible and everyone avoids it. That s why only 800,000 people moved to the metro area between 2004-1014, not to mention that only Denver had more people move there last year. Behind Charlotte was Seattle. Yep, terrible place (says the guy from Hogshag, Iowa).

Perhaps your sarcastic intent isn't really sarcastic in reality. The great rate at which Charlotte may be attributable to the growing job market (a plus). The RATE at which it has expanded has put a great burden upon the city to provide services that other cities take for granted (such as sidewalks and extensive SAFE bike lanes throughout the city).

When one looks at the big picture, one might just see some pretty ugly images. However, if one lives in Davidson and considers himself a Charlottean, Charlotte certainly is idyllic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte