Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 07:22 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're being hyperbolic. Just because folks like cities with character doesn't mean they want to live in the most dangerous, dirtiest, crime-ridden parts of cities. They can live in historic neighborhoods like Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Fells Point in Baltimore, etc. and be more than satisfied. There's a reason why neighborhoods like that are so desirable as reflecting by housing prices.

I agree.
I'm not knocking that but the over the top glamorization about so-called soul or character makes my head spin. Even in DC these types of neighborhoods exists in pockets because the majority of DC city hoods are just as bland or a collection of row house street after row house street...then toss in a circle to make it Euro-style.

I get it though, those are happening hoods but the reality of the situation is that most people in DC city or metro don't live in or frequent those places. Most gubment workers (1/3 of all jobs in DC city) typically commute from way out. Just my experiences being a former resident of the area. Best for picture taking and tourism....really, why would I go through the hassle of traveling from Bowie to Gtown for an overpriced beer or just to chill...not worth it.

Baltimore?....don't even get me started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If people want some grit in the Charlotte area, there are places, outside of Charlotte, that can provide it. They were built when dwellings were built to last. It's not that difficult or expensive to modernize an electrical system as long as they use a licensed electrician.

Charlotte should be looking at DC, Baltimore, & Philadelphia. They should also look at other cities. There's something to be taken from them all. There's a lot to be taken from Philadelphia & Baltimore, especially Philadelphia. There's a ton of new construction going on in Philadelphia after about 50 years of stagnation after most of the mills left. Take what's right. Ignore what's wrong. That's pretty simple. The reality is that, as an east coast state, & one of the original colonies, North Carolina, & Charlotte, specifically, share history, including architecture, with the 3 big MidAtlantic cities. (Although DC didn't exist in the colonial period )
No offense but Charlotte will never resemble anything close to those cities or Charleston. I used to spend a lot of time in Seattle and given Charlotte's history of mostly low density hoods and just now attempting to densify, that's the city to copy...Seattle can make new look old and cool. It taint hard, just a mindset because the opportunity is there given the Charlotte area growth projections the next 10-20 years. Now is the time to create symbolic architecture and areas.....stay away from cheap crap like that hideous suburban looking Hampton Inn downtown, damn shame.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:13 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No offense but Charlotte will never resemble anything close to those cities or Charleston. I used to spend a lot of time in Seattle and given Charlotte's history of mostly low density hoods and just now attempting to densify, that's the city to copy...Seattle can make new look old and cool. It taint hard, just a mindset because the opportunity is there given the Charlotte area growth projections the next 10-20 years. Now is the time to create symbolic architecture and areas.....stay away from cheap crap like that hideous suburban looking Hampton Inn downtown, damn shame.
Yup, density is a must now because of the anti-annexation law. The density will spread. Not all single family homes will eventually be replaced, but some will when the vinyl gives out. Even in Philadelphia, where rowhouses rule, there are single family homes. Powelton Village has wonderful Victorians. The neighborhood where Will Smith grew up has very nice single family homes.

Then there are twins. . .the density will come in time. Charlotte got the land mass by annexation. Philadelphia got it by consolidation. Different methods in different time periods. It all boils down to the same thing, though. When the vast swaths of empty land are gone, the density sets in.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:07 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I'm not knocking that but the over the top glamorization about so-called soul or character makes my head spin. Even in DC these types of neighborhoods exists in pockets because the majority of DC city hoods are just as bland or a collection of row house street after row house street...then toss in a circle to make it Euro-style.

I get it though, those are happening hoods but the reality of the situation is that most people in DC city or metro don't live in or frequent those places. Most gubment workers (1/3 of all jobs in DC city) typically commute from way out. Just my experiences being a former resident of the area. Best for picture taking and tourism....really, why would I go through the hassle of traveling from Bowie to Gtown for an overpriced beer or just to chill...not worth it.

Baltimore?....don't even get me started.
I agree that it can be over-the-top glamorization in some cases, and although it's obvious that most people in any metro area live in the suburbs (including Charlotte), people who live in the region do often frequent the most happening parts of the city and immediate outlying areas at least a couple of times throughout the year. And it's easier to do in a city like DC with extensive transit; in other metros like Philly, NYC, and Boston, many of the suburbs themselves often have a lot of character and offer their own set of amenities.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:07 PM

391 posts, read 402,296 times
This is really a stupid thread. What gets me is how anyone can be lame enough to live here and talk about how great other places are. Why don't these people simply move to these utopias and shut the hell up. Obviously those of us with any intelligence enjoy it here and make the most of the many amenities available. We like it here. If you are miserable and stay here, you have more issues than worrying about how much more character other places have. Bloody hell, what a bunch of wankers?

Old 04-27-2017, 02:12 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Or as they say back home, "go ride your bike".

Old 04-27-2017, 02:24 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
15 pages of replies to a poster that has never returned!

Lets face it - CHARLOTTE SUCKS!

DO NOT MOVE HERE - YOU WILL HATE IT - IT IS A MISERABLE PLACE AND THE PEOPLE ARE RUDE.

Honestly, I wish people would quit moving here.
I liked Charlotte better when it was smaller and we had less traffic.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:35 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
This is really a stupid thread. What gets me is how anyone can be lame enough to live here and talk about how great other places are. Why don't these people simply move to these utopias and shut the hell up. Obviously those of us with any intelligence enjoy it here and make the most of the many amenities available. We like it here. If you are miserable and stay here, you have more issues than worrying about how much more character other places have. Bloody hell, what a bunch of wankers?
Jobs

Family nearby or obligations

Kids in school and don't want to make them change

Fear

Don't have the money to move

All kinds of reasons, really.

Also I think many posters (like me) realize Charlotte is fine, lovely even!...but it is not the end all be all. But to verbalize that is to get attacked by other posters (like you).

Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Jobs

Family nearby or obligations

Kids in school and don't want to make them change

Fear

Don't have the money to move

All kinds of reasons, really.

Also I think many posters (like me) realize Charlotte is fine, lovely even!...but it is not the end all be all. But to verbalize that is to get attacked by other posters (like you).
You can copy and post those reasons on any city thread in this forum, even those cities with some much soul/character/patina, plenty of people would swap locations in a heartbeat if possible. All I'm saying is no big deal, people who really wanna move....move.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree that it can be over-the-top glamorization in some cases, and although it's obvious that most people in any metro area live in the suburbs (including Charlotte), people who live in the region do often frequent the most happening parts of the city and immediate outlying areas at least a couple of times throughout the year. And it's easier to do in a city like DC with extensive transit; in other metros like Philly, NYC, and Boston, many of the suburbs themselves often have a lot of character and offer their own set of amenities.
I dunno about the frequenting deal, I didn't but just my experiences. I have lived all over DC and in DC city. Commuted using every metro line red, orange, blue, yellow green and it can still be a hassle getting from point A to point B. I mean you really gotta have a reason or cause to go to those places. Charlotte metro is much smaller and less urban/dense so it's easier to navigate and hitting other parts of the city metro is no biggy.

Other than old town Alexandria in DC metro suburbs, it's about the same as any other "big" city burb. Reston, Tyson's Corner, etc etc. Similar developments are already starting to heat up along the light rail line in Charlotte. Just a matter of time before strains on infrastructure cause the place to lose one of its key appeals. Low density big city southern/sunbelt style with just enough "stuff" to keep folks content. But now the floods gates are open and the city is actually transitioning into something other than a sleepy southern city with tall buildings.

Reminds me of that old Yogism when questioned about eating dinner at well regarded establishment. Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte