Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 05:48 PM

751 posts, read 934,802 times

Advertisements

We've been in the Marvin Ridge district for 3 years (our 2 girls are in elementary school) and we are dejected by the complete lack of diversity. We are white and not poor (not rich)...but our low $400K house is near the bottom of house value for the district and we are looked at as the "poor folk" of Marvin Ridge. We feel like our kids are not getting a well-rounded life experience (not to mention have a complete lack of appreciation for what they do have) and are looking to move towards a more diverse school district. I grew up solidly middle class in a lower-middle class are and feel like that cultural awareness helped immensely. We are viewing culture as more than just race...moreso along income, culture, heritage, etc, and there's just not much of that in Marvin Ridge.

All that said, we're looking to move up into the South Meck/Myers Park area and had a few questions on the schools. We're looking for a place where our children can achieve from an AP standpoint, while still fitting in with the non-AP student population.
- Why is Quail Hollow Middle school rated so low? Should we avoid places like Quail Hollow estates and only focus on Carmel & Alexander Graham Middle school?
- I've heard good and bad about Myers Park. Some say it's a great school, and others say the police show up at least once a week. This is concerning. Conversely, we've seen nothing but wonderful things written about South Meck on here. Is it purely based on expectation? (people build up South Meck b/c it's historically rated lower, and tear down Myers Park because it's historically rated higher?)
- We're between Quail Hollow/Park Crossing, Beverly Woods/Carmel, Olde Providence, and Sherwood Forest/Cotswold. Any thoughts advice on crime, safety, allowing mid-elementary aged kids to go out and play in the street on their own safely in those areas is greatly appreciated.

And if y'all think we're just crazy to give up the reputation of Marvin Ridge to give our kids a more balance cultural experience, we're open to hearing those opinions too. We're quite torn on whether to move or not.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 07:02 PM

888 posts, read 805,753 times
The Carmel middle school neighborhoods are quiet. I lived over in the apartments at Quail Hollow on Carmel for a while. If you can get a house there do it. I'm hoping to get back in the area with a house but for just me it's expensive. The traffic is ok there is a plaza with a grocery store but otherwise not a heavy flow of cars. The mall is a few miles up the road if you like that one. Either side of Carmel north of Quail Hollow is a good place for a house.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:02 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,698,397 times
I personally like the neighborhood's in the Beverly Woods Elementary zone. From Montibello, Quail View, Carmel Valley, Kingswood, Rockbridge, Belingrath, Sharon Hills, Beverly Woods, etc... you have many beautiful and established neighborhoods lined in mature oaks. The location is great for these neighbohoods too as you are between Uptown and Ballantyne, and at the doorstep to SouthPark.

I really like the Cotswold area as well. It is gaining value rapidly due to its choice location though.

Last edited by CLT4; 02-26-2017 at 05:12 AM..

Old 02-26-2017, 05:28 AM

152 posts, read 193,611 times
My kids are at a well regarded magnet school with a middle school track, but I've been exploring Quail Hollow because they will actually have better opportunities for extracurriculars and honors courses there. I recommend that you go to a meeting or two and get a feel for it. Go to a tour, but more importantly: go to meetings that are for current parents and talk to them. The website is kept up to date on those. They don't track the numbers anymore, but QH was ~70% free and reduced lunch the last time they did. You typically get lower test scores with that. Scores have been improving. For me, I have a favorable impression of the principal. She's aware of the reputation, but seems energetic and committed. The parents I talked to were open about their reservations beforehand, but were happy with the experience their kids were having. One of the mothers said the worst part was the teasing that her son got at his "better" elementary school because he had to go to "that" school. I would feel comfortable sending my (middle class, high achieving) children there.

Love Park Crossing. Packs of roaming children, no cut through streets.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:51 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,698,397 times
Park Crossing is indeed beautiful! Smithfield is a great elementary too, lots of involvement and good culture.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:22 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
Our kids are at Marvin Ridge Schools.

We thought of moving up into Charlotte last year, we even got our house close to ready to put on the market.

Here is what held us back:

It is MORE EXPENSIVE to live up in Meck. County!

We are on a well, so $0 water bill
Tax increases would be around $150-$200/mo for property taxes

So monthly bills would go up, but also, the houses are more expensive up there. We were looking at a significant downsizing.

I get the diversity thing. I really do, and not all my kids are caucasian.

But we will stay here either until my youngest graduates OR until we move out of state,whichever comes first. We are currently looking at moving out of state, but that isn't because of MR.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 AM

152 posts, read 193,611 times
Re: South Meck v. Myers Park, I think what you read on here or hear in the community speaks to how nebulous the concept of school reputations are in CMS. Some people live and die by test scores, and some people rely on reputations that are rooted in the past, and sometimes those manage to be the same people, and of course most people are partial to the one that they've had actual experience in. You may decide that you're open to homes in either one. Myers Park has the IB program in addition to AP. Not all kids are suited to it, but it seems like a great program if they are.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:09 PM

888 posts, read 805,753 times
28226 is a good zip code to look in. I lived there with somebody but don't anymore and have been trying to get back. 1 bedroom apartments are pretty high and getting a house seems like the better choice if I can find one at a decent price. That's been tough because the neighborhoods are nice and I can't afford nice.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:06 PM

604 posts, read 653,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
We've been in the Marvin Ridge district for 3 years (our 2 girls are in elementary school) and we are dejected by the complete lack of diversity. We are white and not poor (not rich)...but our low $400K house is near the bottom of house value for the district and we are looked at as the "poor folk" of Marvin Ridge. We feel like our kids are not getting a well-rounded life experience (not to mention have a complete lack of appreciation for what they do have) and are looking to move towards a more diverse school district. I grew up solidly middle class in a lower-middle class are and feel like that cultural awareness helped immensely. We are viewing culture as more than just race...moreso along income, culture, heritage, etc, and there's just not much of that in Marvin Ridge.

All that said, we're looking to move up into the South Meck/Myers Park area and had a few questions on the schools. We're looking for a place where our children can achieve from an AP standpoint, while still fitting in with the non-AP student population.
- Why is Quail Hollow Middle school rated so low? Should we avoid places like Quail Hollow estates and only focus on Carmel & Alexander Graham Middle school?
- I've heard good and bad about Myers Park. Some say it's a great school, and others say the police show up at least once a week. This is concerning. Conversely, we've seen nothing but wonderful things written about South Meck on here. Is it purely based on expectation? (people build up South Meck b/c it's historically rated lower, and tear down Myers Park because it's historically rated higher?)
- We're between Quail Hollow/Park Crossing, Beverly Woods/Carmel, Olde Providence, and Sherwood Forest/Cotswold. Any thoughts advice on crime, safety, allowing mid-elementary aged kids to go out and play in the street on their own safely in those areas is greatly appreciated.

And if y'all think we're just crazy to give up the reputation of Marvin Ridge to give our kids a more balance cultural experience, we're open to hearing those opinions too. We're quite torn on whether to move or not.

Thanks.
Who your kids will become depends a lot on what they see happens at home, why would you think a good neighborhood will make them disregard the less fortunate?
They are your kids after all and since you seem to acknowledge that there is a large diversity in the world, so will your kids.
I would not worry, many good parents wish to be in your shoes.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 PM

751 posts, read 934,802 times
Yes. Who they become is what they experience at home. What they know is also heavily based on what they experience both at school and in their social circles, and down here it feels like it's hard to for them to get a more representative view of what America really is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte