U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:01 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times

Advertisements

Arrests made in connection to shooting, and CIAA releases statement saying they want to tighten up on unsanctioned events and increase safety.

CMPD arrest 3 in town for CIAA in connection to uptown shooting | WSOC-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 06:26 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,611,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Arrests made in connection to shooting, and CIAA releases statement saying they want to tighten up on unsanctioned events and increase safety.

Good for them. I'm a fan of having the financial impact in the city and think Charlotte is a great place for it but restricting the events, or at least better organizing them together with a real effort towards promoting safety and a good time, would benefit us all.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:41 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,263,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

that story was about last years shootout.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:17 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
that story was about last years shootout.

Whoops, you are correct

Old 03-03-2017, 10:35 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,133,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Good for them. I'm a fan of having the financial impact in the city and think Charlotte is a great place for it but restricting the events, or at least better organizing them together with a real effort towards promoting safety and a good time, would benefit us all.
It is safe, extremely safe and I've never had a problem in the last 30+ years whether Raleigh, Greensboro, Richmond, Charlotte, etc. Again, this is new for a city like Charlotte that has long been sort of a cultural mystery (other than Carowinds) to a lot people throughout the state, region and nation. I think both the Triad and Triangle handle large non-White and non-traditional events much better given their experiences with these things. Charlotte is a little big city that isn't known for huge multi-cultural events, not touristy and doesn't have a large urban campus that fuels a cross-section of people from all aspects of life ranging from weird to genius.

I can feel a bit of that tension among the natives (or new natives) to a varying degree during that week/weekend. Charlotte (primarily uptown) is accustomed to a certain (business-like)atmosphere and this type event totally disrupts that setting...a lot of non-White people, everywhere. Then couple the perception that lots of Black people equate to violence and it becomes an easy excuse to disparage or shun the event. When in fact, the actual opposite is true for those of us who attend and experience the CIAA. I guarantee 99%+ of the people who attended the event have no idea the shooting even happened.

In my experiences and opinion this isn't solely a CIAA thing with Charlotte. The city seems to elevate and over-sensationalize any incident at large events which screams small city mentality. As if though no city in the WORLD has had to confront these sorts of issues other than little big city Charlotte....it boggles my mind at times.

I am all about safety and not dismissing criminal action but when you have these type of large events and regardless of the attendee composition, anything could happen at any time, it's part of the deal. If the event wasn't too big or uncontrollable for Greensboro or Raleigh, no way in hell should it be too huge for the city of Charlotte.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:09 AM

29,712 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
It is safe, extremely safe and I've never had a problem in the last 30+ years whether Raleigh, Greensboro, Richmond, Charlotte, etc. Again, this is new for a city like Charlotte that has long been sort of a cultural mystery (other than Carowinds) to a lot people throughout the state, region and nation. I think both the Triad and Triangle handle large non-White and non-traditional events much better given their experiences with these things. Charlotte is a little big city that isn't known for huge multi-cultural events, not touristy and doesn't have a large urban campus that fuels a cross-section of people from all aspects of life ranging from weird to genius.

I can feel a bit of that tension among the natives (or new natives) to a varying degree during that week/weekend. Charlotte (primarily uptown) is accustomed to a certain (business-like)atmosphere and this type event totally disrupts that setting...a lot of non-White people, everywhere. Then couple the perception that lots of Black people equate to violence and it becomes an easy excuse to disparage or shun the event. When in fact, the actual opposite is true for those of us who attend and experience the CIAA. I guarantee 99%+ of the people who attended the event have no idea the shooting even happened.

In my experiences and opinion this isn't solely a CIAA thing with Charlotte. The city seems to elevate and over-sensationalize any incident at large events which screams small city mentality. As if though no city in the WORLD has had to confront these sorts of issues other than little big city Charlotte....it boggles my mind at times.

I am all about safety and not dismissing criminal action but when you have these type of large events and regardless of the attendee composition, anything could happen at any time, it's part of the deal. If the event wasn't too big or uncontrollable for Greensboro or Raleigh, no way in hell should it be too huge for the city of Charlotte.
I'm not sure why you continue to ignore the fact that CIAA has exploded in attendance since it's been in Charlotte. When it first got there, the numbers were similar for when it was in those cities and for other similar tournaments like MEAC. That's hardly been the case for CIAA for at least the past 7 years or so.

With the attendance and notoriety it's gotten since it's been in Charlotte, it's more akin to events in Atlanta, DC, New Orleans, etc. now. But I will say that a surge in attendance wouldn't have taken folks in the Triad or Triangle by surprise since they already have sizable HBCUs with large homecomings.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:15 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

Great post. Contextualizing the shootings is important but difficult for many as it helps them justify a certain preferred perspective. It's the same phenomenon we see when Northlake mall violence is overblown.

A few weeks ago somebody shot an assault rifle in Ballantyne. No threads though.

Man threatens patrons with assault rifle at Ballantyne restaurant | WSOC-TV

The parties and CIAA tournament weekend, in general, is a safe celebration and a huge boost to our local economy and culture.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:19 PM

2,156 posts, read 2,355,735 times
[quote=Essequamvideri;47386052]Great post. Contextualizing the shootings is important but difficult for many as it helps them justify a certain preferred perspective. It's the same phenomenon we see when Northlake mall violence is overblown.

A few weeks ago somebody shot an assault rifle in Ballantyne. No threads though.

While I certainly agree that it was an on point post by Ari, I fail to bridge the chasm from an assault rifle being brandished in a restaurant to 100+ shots fired at another location. In my opinion 100+ shots fired is a far greater story than a guy waving a gun in a restaurant.

There was a quote in the article you posted that certainly sums up the situation:

“You’ve just got to be careful wherever you go. It doesn’t matter what side of town you’re on,” she said."

I also think that quote was true 50 years ago, the question that goes begging is what's the difference then and now. Nothing in my opinion other than mass media, communication advancements and the ability of any Tom, Dick or Henrietta to be able to post it in seconds for the public to view.

Last edited by getatag; 03-03-2017 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-03-2017, 01:03 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,237 times
[quote=getatag;47386695]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Great post. Contextualizing the shootings is important but difficult for many as it helps them justify a certain preferred perspective. It's the same phenomenon we see when Northlake mall violence is overblown.

While I certainly agree that it was an on point post by Ari, I fail to bridge the chasm from an assault rifle being brandished in a restaurant to 100+ shots fired at another location. In my opinion 100+ shots fired is a far greater story than a guy waving a gun in a restaurant.

There was a quote in the article you posted that certainly sums up the situation:

Youve just got to be careful wherever you go. It doesnt matter what side of town youre on, she said."

I also think that quote was true 50 years ago, the question that goes begging is what's the difference then and now. Nothing in my opinion other than mass media, communication advancements and the ability of any Tom, Dick or Henrietta to be able to post it in seconds for the public to view.

Do you think that if someone had an assault rifle out at Northlake mall that there wouldn't be several threads related to it on this site? What explains the absence of the one from Ballantyne?

How about somebody driving their car into a crowd at Mardi Gras? Does that awful story mean that the festival is tainted as unsafe?

One outcome of the swiftness of shock reporting that I lament is the increased fear many have towards people and events they no nothing else about.

We can agree that there is some truth to the quote.

I may also spin it on it's head and say, "there are great people spread all over Charlotte even though some neighborhoods are less celebrated as safe than others." I like that one better. I've spent significant time all over Charlotte in parts regularly insulted and derided on this board and been fortunate to never have an issue. Some of the nicest people I've met come from some of the supposed "worst" neighborhoods and most feared events in town.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:09 PM

29,712 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
How about somebody driving their car into a crowd at Mardi Gras? Does that awful story mean that the festival is tainted as unsafe?
I get your point but I don't think this example fits. Mardi Gras is all about debauchery but folks assume the inherent risks because it's a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte