U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 04:21 PM

50 posts, read 60,194 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some research on moving our family to North Carolina. Originally, I thought the Raleigh area would be the better place (on paper), but am now leaning more toward Charlotte. Charlotte seem like the better fit. The school ratings in Ballantyne, Marvin, Matthews, and Waxhaw mainly seem to be 8-10 on the Great Schools site. I'm not really sure how the zoning works and would love some clarification. I know some of the schools I mentions are in UC or MC. But, Once your child is in an elementary school, can they be moved or do they stay put until middle school? If your child completes elementary school at say, Marvin Elem, would all their classmates feed to the same middle school? If we bought a house in the Marvin Ridge High School area, I'm assuming that could potentially change in the years to come? Our children are young; 2nd grade, Kindergarten, 4 and 2 yr. olds. Sorry for all the questions, it is confusing! Overall, the schools I've been looking at seem to be great and I am so lost why so many threads say it is not so. Am I missing something??

Thanks for any direction!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 06:07 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,175,469 times
There are great schools and bad schools everywhere.
NC is quite different than what I am used to in regards to the structuring of districts. Districts, for the most part, are county-wide (1 district for each county). This can create a mess with districting. Elementary schools typically 'feed' multiple middle schools, and the middle schools feed multiple high schools. The elementary school I taught in fed most students to two middle schools, but overall we fed to six.
They can, and will, redistrict due to numbers. So just because you buy a house that is zoned for one school doesn't mean it will be the case in a few years.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 PM

376 posts, read 224,045 times
Good to not as good by comparisin with which state and with which specific county, city, or town school district?

Old 03-03-2017, 08:22 PM

654 posts, read 515,728 times
Your realtor should be able to help you out. For the most part, schools are what the parents make of them. But some give better opportunities than others. If you're looking to buy a house to last you through high school and don't want to worry about re-districting, definitely talk to your realtor. There are neighborhoods that lessen your odds of redistricting (right next to high school, tucked in corner of county where there's no where else to go, etc).

Old 03-03-2017, 08:42 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,237 times
They are great. Don't let the negative nancies get you down. Redistricting isn't harmful albeit a fear tactic by the bad parents that blame schools for their children's success or failures.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:50 PM
NDL

3,130 posts, read 3,612,932 times
Charlotte's library system is excellent too. Top notch facilities, and lots of useful and relative materials to borrow...

Don't know where the bad reputation comes from. It's undeserved.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:52 AM

2,156 posts, read 2,355,735 times
Talk to your realtor about school choice and location, but always follow the adage. "Trust but verify" when dealing with a realtor. Once you have settled on a home, and before you put in an offer, go to the school district website and find their "locator". It's a service they provide that allows you to plug in a particular address and find out which schools are assigned to that address.
I have seen way to many stories of parents being told one thing by a realtor, buying the house, and finding a totally different school assignment attached to the house address.

Once you find an address you like, plug it into one of these.

Union County, NC school finder:
Edulog WebQuery

Charlotte/Mecklenburg school finder:
GeoPortal

Old 03-04-2017, 05:07 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Talk to your realtor about school choice and location, but always follow the adage. "Trust but verify" when dealing with a realtor. Once you have settled on a home, and before you put in an offer, go to the school district website and find their "locator". It's a service they provide that allows you to plug in a particular address and find out which schools are assigned to that address.
I have seen way to many stories of parents being told one thing by a realtor, buying the house, and finding a totally different school assignment attached to the house address.

Once you find an address you like, plug it into one of these.

Union County, NC school finder:
Edulog WebQuery

Charlotte/Mecklenburg school finder:
GeoPortal
Technically aren't real estate agents not supposed to really comment on if schools are "good" or not?

Old 03-04-2017, 05:34 AM

2,156 posts, read 2,355,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Technically aren't real estate agents not supposed to really comment on if schools are "good" or not?

Sure, you may be correct.

I wasn't weighing in on the "good, bad or ugly" (my apologies to Sergio Leone, 1966) of schools, only on the effort to discover which district a home feeds into. I will leave the school quality choice to the home buyer.
My comments were merely meant to remind the perspective homeowner to check, check, and recheck all information to the source.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:42 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Sure, you may be correct.

I wasn't weighing in on the "good, bad or ugly" (my apologies to Sergio Leone, 1966) of schools, only on the effort to discover which district a home feeds into. I will leave the school quality choice to the home buyer.
My comments were merely meant to remind the perspective homeowner to check, check, and recheck all information to the source.
Got ya. Was probably more of a response to the post above then saying a realtor could help OP out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or