U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 06:46 PM

156 posts, read 145,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
The river will be the seller.
Nobody ever seems to mention the giant coal powerplant directly across the river.

Last thing I'd want to live near or look at.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 09:11 PM

376 posts, read 224,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618719 View Post
Nobody ever seems to mention the giant coal powerplant directly across the river. Last thing I'd want to live near or look at.
2 decades from now, in general what's the likelihood giant coal power plants exist - especially very close to large metro areas in developed nations? Kick it up a notch with plans for a rather substantive residential real estate, odds on the current giant power plant existing? Without betting the house, ...

Old 03-11-2017, 09:22 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,162,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
2 decades from now, in general what's the likelihood giant coal power plants exist - especially very close to large metro areas in developed nations? Kick it up a notch with plans for a rather substantive residential real estate, odds on the current giant power plant existing? Without betting the house, ...
Duke is phasing out coal plants. They are looking at natural gas.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:08 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,548,164 times
I thought this may help -- info on the River District from the Chamber of Commerce.

https://charlottechamber.com/index.p...rDistrict_3_17

Old 03-20-2017, 05:01 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,688,785 times
Thanks.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:12 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,417,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
The river will be the seller.
Yes, but if you look at the map, the area will have access at points but a large mid section, plus the entire northern section will not butt up to the river. Appears a large number of property owners held out and are not included in this "district."

Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM
NDL

3,148 posts, read 3,620,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Yes, but if you look at the map, the area will have access at points but a large mid section, plus the entire northern section will not butt up to the river. Appears a large number of property owners held out and are not included in this "district."
Excellent.

That part of west Charlotte is beautiful, largely untouched, and devoid of traffic.

As to the development itself, I hope the State bolsters that section of 485 with an extra two travel lanes in each direction before development takes place. Also on my wish list is that the entire development be arranged in such a way as to work around light rail.

Please keep Ballantyne in mind:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...llantyneAerial

The logic behind the City's planning is seriously flawed:

"Roads encourage sprawl" (this is true)

"Let's build bike lanes all over the place" (the majority of folks won't use them year round)

"Let's incorporate live/work/play districts; people will live in close proximity to work, which will keep traffic down" (it's unlikely that people headed by two adults will work in the same area)

Ballantyne is an auto dependent development. It cannot be retrofitted to accept light rail, nor can South Park. Either design the River District around mass transit, or equip the area to handle vehicular traffic.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Excellent.

That part of west Charlotte is beautiful, largely untouched, and devoid of traffic.

As to the development itself, I hope the State bolsters that section of 485 with an extra two travel lanes in each direction before development takes place. Also on my wish list is that the entire development be arranged in such a way as to work around light rail.

Please keep Ballantyne in mind:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...llantyneAerial

The logic behind the City's planning is seriously flawed:

"Roads encourage sprawl" (this is true)

"Let's build bike lanes all over the place" (the majority of folks won't use them year round)

"Let's incorporate live/work/play districts; people will live in close proximity to work, which will keep traffic down" (it's unlikely that people headed by two adults will work in the same area)

Ballantyne is an auto dependent development. It cannot be retrofitted to accept light rail, nor can South Park. Either design the River District around mass transit, or equip the area to handle vehicular traffic.
Bike lanes are a good thing. Yes, a majority will use cars, but if a safe bike option is given, many people will use that option. Unless there's a blizzard or an ice storm, a surprising number of people will use the option year round.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:20 PM
NDL

3,148 posts, read 3,620,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Bike lanes are a good thing. Yes, a majority will use cars, but if a safe bike option is given, many people will use that option. Unless there's a blizzard or an ice storm, a surprising number of people will use the option year round.
I am not saying this to be argumentative , but a climate controlled light rail is a good replacement for automobile use. Many years ago I was in an environment where I found myself outdoors, often, in a jacket and tie. My employer mandated the jacket and tie during hot summer months, and that short experience stayed with me.

Summers in Charlotte are hot and run long. I am not against bicycling, and in urbanized areas (e.g. downtown, South End, etc.), it might even be practical. My issue is that the City is banking on bicycling as a major form of transportation, an unproven option in America, for a good number of people. If the City is right - good. But if they're not, they will have created a mess that will be cost prohibitive to fix.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I am not saying this to be argumentative , but a climate controlled light rail is a good replacement for automobile use. Many years ago I was in an environment where I found myself outdoors, often, in a jacket and tie. My employer mandated the jacket and tie during hot summer months, and that short experience stayed with me.

Summers in Charlotte are hot and run long. I am not against bicycling, and in urbanized areas (e.g. downtown, South End, etc.), it might even be practical. My issue is that the City is banking on bicycling as a major form of transportation, an unproven option in America, for a good number of people. If the City is right - good. But if they're not, they will have created a mess that will be cost prohibitive to fix.
I think that light rail would be good. We need a change in Raleigh to have any certainty, though. Giving the bike option is a good thing. You'll be surprised at how many use it. I know. I've seen regular people on regular bikes & motor bikes in Philadelphia, on blistering hot days with ghastly humidity, & freezing cold days too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or