Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:30 AM

33 posts, read 28,936 times

Advertisements

mostly interested in how cold the winters are and when it starts getting cold/starts getting warmer. When I say cold I mean how often is it in the 30s or lower. What months do we start to see it getting in the 50s? I've tried to search the forums for this but want a more detailed explaination. From what I could gather it looks like by Feb usually in the 50s until May where it starts gets a bit warmer but correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,696,924 times
All that is on anybody's mind this year is how unpredictable the weather is. This year is was regularly a high of 60 - 70 during February and this week, when it "should" be more spring like, we are not going to break 50 and will have a hard freeze this week. It snowed yesterday (and then melted within 2 hours), but we didn't get any snow from Jan 10th to March 12th.

Some years winter seems more cold and some years winter seems very mild - depends on the weather pattern in the country, El Nino / La Nina, etc... In the winter it is regularly in the 30's at night or lower. Day time highs are usually 45 -55. Starts warming up in March... except this year.... when March got colder.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:10 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
We have days in January in the 50's as well as February. March can go either way. We had snow yesterday morning but it was melted by 11am. Yesterday's high was 51 and I think the high for today was supposed to be 47. April it's in the 60-70's. May is generally in the 70's-80's. Our neighborhood pool opens the 2nd week of May.

Last year on Christmas, it was in the 80's. This year I think it was in the 60's.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:18 PM

oh nice to know I suppose it is just as unpredictable as Michigan (where I live). I don't mind the winter but here it is cold from October until April and sometimes May. Just wanting to move somewhere where there is not as much snow and cold for as many months as it is here.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:23 PM

751 posts, read 934,630 times
Snow is rare here...Charlotte is right on the "snow/rain" line, so if you want to see some snow, I'd recommend staying in the northern part of the city vs the southern part. But even then, you might only see snow 2-3x per year, and usually just a dusting each time. 2-3" will shut the city down since they only pay for enough plows to keep the highways clear, but not the side streets. On the bright side, it's usually warm enough that if we get 2-3", it'll all melt within a day.

In terms of cold, you won't get the bitter cold that you get up north. Lows in the 20s is very cold for here and it usually hovers in the low 30s overnight in the coldest months (for the worst days...other Dec-Feb days overnight lows will be in the 50s).

Old 03-13-2017, 01:38 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdh View Post
oh nice to know I suppose it is just as unpredictable as Michigan (where I live). I don't mind the winter but here it is cold from October until April and sometimes May. Just wanting to move somewhere where there is not as much snow and cold for as many months as it is here.
I lived in SW MI for a year and I grew up living close to the MI border. This area has great weather compared to MI hands down. It's nice here usually through at least November. We don't get anywhere close to the amount of snow MI gets and if we do get snow it only sticks around for a couple of days.

The summers are hot and humid but I also remember MI being hot and humid in the summer. I spent a lot of time at Corey Lake near Three Rivers.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I lived in SW MI for a year and I grew up living close to the MI border. This area has great weather compared to MI hands down. It's nice here usually through at least November. We don't get anywhere close to the amount of snow MI gets and if we do get snow it only sticks around for a couple of days.

The summers are hot and humid but I also remember MI being hot and humid in the summer. I spent a lot of time at Corey Lake near Three Rivers.
Yes the weather definitely sounds better there.
The summers are hot and humid here so I think thats something I am used to I think the only difference is that Charlotte seems to be warmer for longer than MI and perhaps more consistent warm/sunny days. MI can be very gloomy and overcast and there's been a few summers where it hasnt been too warm and you're wanting to wear Jeans in the middle of the summer! (at least me I think I run cold!)

Old 03-14-2017, 11:41 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
I grew up in southern Michigan and now live in the Charlotte area.

There is NO comparison between the heat and humidity in Michigan and the heat and humidity here. We did not have AC in Michigan when I was little...fans and open windows were the norm. You would find getting through a Charlotte summer with only fans and
open windows almost intolerable. It gets cooler overnight in Michigan. By Labor Day I needed a sweater while waiting for the school bus. Not so here.

You are correct about the duration of the heat here...May through October some years...it is hot and humid. It is relentless sometimes in a way you won't be used to.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:54 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Many weather sites (like accuweather) have features that allow you look at actual temperatures for past months.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:04 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,960 times
average day temp in January is 51 degrees. Due to the lack of clouds most days (unlike the Midwest) we lack the insulating factor so night/early morning temps can be cold in 30s. It's not uncommon to have 25-30 degree swings from 6am-noon this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte