U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,053 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Charlotte this summer. Our daughter is starting middle school and the break between schools we think would make the move easiest on everyone. The house we live in now is feeling a bit too cramped and wasn't meant to be a " forever" home. We had started looking for a new house where we live in the suburbs south of Denver and realized how little we can get for our money outside our current neighborhood and we are ready for a change. Moving to Charlotte will put us back on the East Coast and closer to my aging parents.

Commute times are not really an issue as my husband travels for work 75% of the year and works from home the other 25%. A commute to the airport during non-peak hours should be no more than 45 minutes. After teaching part-time the last couple of years, I taught full-time this year and hated it. Once we move I will look for something part-time that can accommodate my daughter's schedule.

We are looking for a home of at least 3,000 sq ft., in a pool community. We want to be around kids my daughters age as our current neighborhood has just one other girl in her grade. Our price range is $550000-$625000. We would like acreage to be at least .33. A main floor master is a huge plus, but not a deal breaker.

We drove around last weekend to get a feel for some different areas. The Ballantyne/ Blakeney area was appealing to us because it is similar to the area we live in now. The schools are larger than we are used to albeit still highly rated which is a must. Proximity to a good competitive soccer program is also necessary.

We loved Highgrove but the existing listings are too expensive for us. Ballanmoor and Allyson Park didn't have the same feel but might be doable with the right property. Ardrey and Ardrey Commons were cute but the lots were small with non-existent or tiny yards. We liked Providence Country Club but are concerned that all of the Rea Farms construction is so close, although maybe that will be a good thing in a few years. Ballantyne Country Club might be a possibility, but we ran out of time to check it out.

Is there anything I should be aware of with these neighborhoods that might guide us? Other neighborhoods like the ones I listed that we should see?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 09:31 AM

73 posts, read 56,945 times
My family made the move here a little over a year ago. Our oldest daughter was in 7th grade and like you wanted to make the move at a natural split before high school.

I work as a mortgage loan officer in Ballantyne and love the area as well. Our first consideration was being close to an area like Ballantyne and had to figure out NC vs SC. Looking at taxes, school districts, and proximity we landed in Indian Land about a 15-minute drive to Ballantyne, close to Marvin, Blakeney, Waxhaw - all within minutes. Low taxes, highly rated school district. In fact, the school is set to begin building a new high school as growth is definitely on its way.

We've been very happy with our neighborhood and there are plenty of existing properties within your price range both new build and pre-existing homes in pool communities.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to reach out. My wife and I like to research the heck out of little things so you can imagine how much we "looked before we lept."

Best of luck!!

John Kotrides

Old 03-29-2017, 09:35 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,748,634 times
Since your previous searches were within the city, I'll stick to that agenda.

I would check out the Mountainbrook subdivision, in the Southpark area. They have a community pool. You almost have to drive through this area to appreciate its beauty. Older very well-maintained homes, some on the historical registry due to the architecture. Adjacent to that is Governor's Square. Really nice area of older well-maintained homes but I am not sure they have a pool but well within your price range. You might be able to find a few homes in the Piper Glen area in that price range. A bit newer than the other two I mentioned but with golf course and pool. Piper Glen is just inside the beltway, north of Ballantyne and the Rea Rd area.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 AM

660 posts, read 519,598 times
I wouldn't worry about congestion from Rea Farms if you're also looking at Ballantyne. Right now congestion around Providence Country Club is less than Ballantyne and with the Rea Farms & Waverly developments, it'll probably bring those two areas equal.

From the areas you looked at, it sounds like you stayed in Meck county. I would focus on Union County as well. Specifically Rea View & Marvin Ridge elementary schools. Both feed into one of the top rated high schools in the area and are a 5 minute drive to Blakeney. A little less congested down there, but still close enough to everything. ~35 minute drive to the airport in non-rush hour (even AM rush hour isn't bad...it'll take an hour plus in PM rush hour though). A lot of the developments in that area have community pools as well.

Fewer of the developments further north have community pools, but there are a ton of pool clubs in the area that would serve the same purpose. One benefit of being further north in the Myers Park High School type area is that you're closer to the city for nights out and such. Depending on your preference, South Meck is a good school too. But if you're looking at South Meck, I'd recommend steering clear of Quail Hollow Middle. Most of the other middle schools in the areas you're looking at are good.

Lastly, I'd highly recommend renting for your first year here. We rented in Ballantyne when we first moved here and thought we'd love it and realized quickly that it was too congested for us and had a better feel for the areas when we bought our house a year later.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:03 PM

777 posts, read 2,274,071 times
IMHO: Stick north of 51 with that budget. You could get in the very well established Montibello neighborhood (or as mentioned Mountainbrook). Montibello doesn't have a pool but the very very popular Windyrush swim club is just a mile away. The value of these neighborhoods will never go down and are always in high demand. Might even be able to squeeze into Belingrath as well at the top end of your budget and use the BWE swim club.

Ballantyne, while nothing "wrong" with it (besides traffic), is frankly just a collection of boring new communities on small lots, developed over the past 10-15 years.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,053 times
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like we have a few other areas to check out.

We drove through some sections of Indian Land and Fort Mill. For us the smaller, new communities we saw there felt very isolated in spots. I grew up in a Maryland suburb that seems similar and I always wanted to have more people and activities within walking distance. Get together with friends and after-school activities were tough because of how spread out some things were.

Any info. on soccer clubs? My daughter practices 3-4 times a week with games every Saturday and sometimes Sundays year-round. I'm not sure how that would change in NC but don't want to find myself battling evening commuters for 30 minutes + or so each night. Right now her practice field are just 15-20 minutes away and that works fine.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:33 PM

537 posts, read 549,427 times
Look into Tega Cay, SC.

Soccer info
Description of Tega Cay Soccer Programs | Tega Cay, SC - Official Website

Charlotte United Palmetto FC
Home

Old 03-29-2017, 05:44 PM

4,056 posts, read 3,278,841 times
Is Davidson too far?

River Run is lovely.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,000,790 times
Charlotte Soccer Academy's elite teams are the highest ranking girls club soccer programs in the metro:
Charlotte Soccer Academy - Competitive > Splash

Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 AM

660 posts, read 519,598 times
There are a lot of clubs in South Charlotte. I'd do that research first, I'm not exactly sure where/what they are or what quality they are. In Ballantyne/Union County, any soccer club south of 51 is easily reachable in 30 minutes in rush hour. It might also help you guide your search if you look for soccer clubs first, and then find neighborhoods near them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or