U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:50 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,453,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Well opinions are like.......
That wasn't very nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 6 days ago)

5,595 posts, read 6,691,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Best to till the soil 4-6" deep.

I would till one round first.

Then go back and till with a good organic fertilizer.

Top that with lime if your soil needs it (if it's clay it probably does). Give one last light till to work everything in.

You don't need sand.
carolina_guy - I left the snowblower back in NJ, but took my Troy-Built Rototiller with me! My front yard was sodded with Bermuda Grass and I really wanted something like I had in NJ - a fescue/bluegrass mix. But after the drought, I began to think that Bermuda Grass wasn't without it's virtues. I took out my ph meter the other day and the bare clay areas in my back yard are reading 5.5. It definitely needs lime and I'll rototill in some topsoil and compost before I put the Bermuda Grass sod down. I wish I could've done the same for the front - it's on compacted clay but has still managed to do O.K. I'll re-lime the front again also -its ph is just 5.9-6.0.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:18 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,681,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
carolina_guy - I left the snowblower back in NJ, but took my Troy-Built Rototiller with me! My front yard was sodded with Bermuda Grass and I really wanted something like I had in NJ - a fescue/bluegrass mix. But after the drought, I began to think that Bermuda Grass wasn't without it's virtues. I took out my ph meter the other day and the bare clay areas in my back yard are reading 5.5. It definitely needs lime and I'll rototill in some topsoil and compost before I put the Bermuda Grass sod down. I wish I could've done the same for the front - it's on compacted clay but has still managed to do O.K. I'll re-lime the front again also -its ph is just 5.9-6.0.
Good for you!

You may want to consider going down to Organic Plant Healthcare. If you follow their system you will eventually not even have to aerate your lawn because the root system it helps your grass establish with provide it with the breathing room it needs.

So basically, you would till in your lime, Urban Soil Conditioner, Turf Doctor, and Organic Starter Fertilizer. In a May you would apply one more round of Urban Soil, then again in July. There's a couple things to do in fall/winter then organic pre-emergent in late winter. Follow this process for a couple years and your lawn will be looking better than your neighbors, you will save money on your water bill, your grass will tolerate the drought, and you will never have to aerate again! The best part about the whole thing is that it's not that expensive.

Anyway, good luck with your sod. Hopefully the rain will continue and you'll get it established in the next few weeks (It needs about an inch per week for the first month or so).

Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
you da' man....thanks for the help and to ADR too...
My pleasure CJ!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Thanks. But, all I have is sand that I am trying to plant grass on (an old sand pit). I am hoping to only put 2" of soil over that and plant grass or sod.
Oh, sorry about that. I don't know anything about doing that, but again I will suggest you call or stop by OPH and they will help you with any questions you have.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Good for you!

You may want to consider going down to Organic Plant Healthcare. If you follow their system you will eventually not even have to aerate your lawn because the root system it helps your grass establish with provide it with the breathing room it needs.

So basically, you would till in your lime, Urban Soil Conditioner, Turf Doctor, and Organic Starter Fertilizer. In a May you would apply one more round of Urban Soil, then again in July. There's a couple things to do in fall/winter then organic pre-emergent in late winter. Follow this process for a couple years and your lawn will be looking better than your neighbors, you will save money on your water bill, your grass will tolerate the drought, and you will never have to aerate again! The best part about the whole thing is that it's not that expensive.

Anyway, good luck with your sod. Hopefully the rain will continue and you'll get it established in the next few weeks (It needs about an inch per week for the first month or so).
Organic Plant Healthcare is great. A few weeks back, they had a gardening class there - I assume you mean the one in Indian Trail unless there are more locations. They are an excellent place and I came away with a lot of good ideas. Do you know when they are having the next class?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Organic Plant Healthcare is great. A few weeks back, they had a gardening class there - I assume you mean the one in Indian Trail unless there are more locations. They are an excellent place and I came away with a lot of good ideas. Do you know when they are having the next class?
Interesting....I didn't know they had one in Indian Trail and I didn't know they had classes. The one I know of is at Hwy 51 and Monroe Rd. in Matthews. Are you referring to that one? I know they will be adding a few more stores including the Lake Norman area. They are also going e-Commerce in the next couple months. At any rate, there is no better system to maintain a healthy yard! I love the Urban Roots formula!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Interesting....I didn't know they had one in Indian Trail and I didn't know they had classes. The one I know of is at Hwy 51 and Monroe Rd. in Matthews. Are you referring to that one? I know they will be adding a few more stores including the Lake Norman area. They are also going e-Commerce in the next couple months. At any rate, there is no better system to maintain a healthy yard! I love the Urban Roots formula!!!
carolina_guy - It was the Matthews store! Sometimes, I'm not sure where Indian Trail ends and Matthews begins. The class was excellent - how to properly plant shrubs and trees and prep for lawns. They also had a guy from Ashdown roses do a segment about suitable roses for the Charlotte area. They had a contest for winning various OPL products - but I never win anything. It sure would have been nice to get a free bag of Cavalcade tho'!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:10 AM

367 posts, read 929,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
That wasn't very nice!
It wasn't suppose to be. I don't consider my lawn a bizarre waste of resources. I actually think its a great place to use resources. Builders spend allot of money on Sod, they are not going to lay it down to die. They water it the first 30 days and give it a chance.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 AM

295 posts, read 1,194,633 times
For what its worth - pricing updates for 2009 are as follows:

Pickup Delivery
SuperSod in Pineville: $163.80/pallet $70 for 1st pallet, $5 per additional pallet
Broadway Farms: $120/pallet In my case - 10 miles away was $60 total for 4 pallets

This is for Fescue. I picked up a spreadsheet at SuperSod and they list other varieties like this (all pick up prices with the delivery charges set up the same as above):

Bermuda - $143.64
Zoysia - $193.50
Centipede - $158.76
St. Augustine - $193.50

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte