Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM

382 posts, read 1,881,186 times

Advertisements

I have 2 boxers as well! They're so rough on the yard. Here you can see them just kicking up the dirt. Don't be alarmed, I promise they're just playing.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AauWThi5buZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
It does go dormant once the temps drop but you can overseed with an annual rye grass if you want year round green. Personally, I don't like to mow year round so I let it go dormant. The big advantages are it provides a durable yard (I have boxers and they easily tear up my fescue with all of their running), and drought and sun tolerance. Fescue is not really meant to be used when you have all day sun, it does far better in shadier situations.

As for disadvantages, fescue feels softer under foot and is green longer (in the right environment). Since it requires less water, bermuda will also grow more quickly if the weather gets especially rainy. But under normal circumstances I think they will be about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,622,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
Pride in the good sense?

No, in the bad sense.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:50 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,642,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I

Please don't stop sharing ideas on this thread . . . it has been very meaningful to me and I suspect to many others silently reading out there . . .
Of course and that's what I will continue to do and not let some nutty people get in the way. I like Carolina guy have pride in how my lawn looks and want to keep it from looking like trash.

If you do upkeep now, you'll save yourself alot of $$ (& harsh chemicals) later by trying to repair the damages from ignoring your lawn.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
I actually got a better deal with Broadway Farms Sod in Indian Trail.

But I used Super Sod last year and they weren't bad.
If you don't mind me asking, what rate did Broadway charge you?

I'm thinking about putting some down myself...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

If I remember correctly, in Sept. '06 I paid about $200 for a palet of tall fescue delivered from SuperSod. I think you can pick it up yourself for $165. Don't know anything about Broadway, but my uncle, who owns a reputable landscaping company in Charlotte, suggested SuperSod to me and the service and product was excellent!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
in this huge investment - our homes! We want our yards and homes to look as nice as they can - under the circumstances we are all dealing with.

Here, here!

Oh, and about the birds, do you have hay down? The birds are likely after the hay, not the seed. The hay also contains weeds, which is never good for a finely-tuned yard.

Organic plant healthcare has a product that's of a compostable (is that even a word?) paper product that comes in the form of pellets and swells when wet. It will shield your seed sans the weed hassle.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:03 AM
ADR

171 posts, read 515,137 times
Quote:

Delivered I believe was $175. Super sod charged me like $220 for delivery. Broadway is real close too, just over on Rocky River Rd I think it is.

Tip: both times I have bought sod I unintentionally ended up getting 2 pallets for the price of 1. I was Super Sod's last Saturday delivery and he had a pallet left over he gave me and at Broadway, they don't do Saturday's so when I got mine delivered on a Friday, I found out he also had a pallet left over and he told me I could go and get it if I want it. Long story short, get your sod on a weekend or Saturday and ask if they have any extra they are going to throw away. When they have left over it has to be laid within 1-2 days( sooner the better) days max, it can't just be left sitting around. So if they have left over on a weekend they cant sell it the next week after it has sat for 2-3 days.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
Delivered I believe was $175. Super sod charged me like $220 for delivery. Broadway is real close too, just over on Rocky River Rd I think it is.

Tip: both times I have bought sod I unintentionally ended up getting 2 pallets for the price of 1. I was Super Sod's last Saturday delivery and he had a pallet left over he gave me and at Broadway, they don't do Saturday's so when I got mine delivered on a Friday, I found out he also had a pallet left over and he told me I could go and get it if I want it. Long story short, get your sod on a weekend or Saturday and ask if they have any extra they are going to throw away. When they have left over it has to be laid within 1-2 days( sooner the better) days max, it can't just be left sitting around. So if they have left over on a weekend they cant sell it the next week after it has sat for 2-3 days.
dumb question here but I've never purchased sod. Can you purchase just "strips" or do you have to buy a "pallet minimum"?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,957,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
It does go dormant once the temps drop but you can overseed with an annual rye grass if you want year round green. Personally, I don't like to mow year round so I let it go dormant. The big advantages are it provides a durable yard (I have boxers and they easily tear up my fescue with all of their running), and drought and sun tolerance. Fescue is not really meant to be used when you have all day sun, it does far better in shadier situations.

As for disadvantages, fescue feels softer under foot and is green longer (in the right environment). Since it requires less water, bermuda will also grow more quickly if the weather gets especially rainy. But under normal circumstances I think they will be about the same.
Thank You.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
dumb question here but I've never purchased sod. Can you purchase just "strips" or do you have to buy a "pallet minimum"?

You can from Home Depot and/or Lowes when they have it in stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte