U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 11:48 AM

13 posts, read 10,400 times

Advertisements

We moved to Charlotte about a year ago. Have been renting a place until we figure out where to plant our roots. What are the pros & cons of living about 1 hour North of Charlotte? Would love the small town, southern feel but also need to be able to commute to uptown. Safety, convenience to shopping, etc, good schools and most importantly good people are priorities. Any thoughts about Statesville / Mooresville area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 11:58 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,623,052 times
The commute would be terrible (if you work normal 8/5 hours) and I personally would hate life doing it every day but plenty do. Mooresville itself is great (I'm biased of course) and has everything I need. Not sure if you have kids or not or what's important to you (nightlife, social, activities, church, etc.) but this area has plenty except for nightlife which if I were younger and needed that would steer me away a little possibly.

Statesville is an even worse commute with less of everything above. However, with that said, you can get a lot of house for your money in Statesville plus more acreage if you desire such. Living in Statesville you'd be much closer time wise to commuting to Winston Salem than you would uptown with the traffic congestion on 77.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 PM

4,084 posts, read 3,298,480 times
We lived in Statesville for 2 years. Yes it has that small town feel and parts of it are lovely (Mitchell CC is the prettiest CC you will ever see) but the flip side of that is that they are less welcoming to outsiders. One woman I know said "this is the hardest town to break into" in terms of social groups. People are from there, go away to college, and come back to live. Statesville public schools have a poor reputation. If you are thinking of going to one of the private schools, DM me with which one you are thinking of. Statesville is also limited in its shopping, in that you'll end up driving to Mooresville for a lot. Statesville does have a Wal Mart and a TJ Maxx and a (dying) mall, but if you want to splash out and go to Target, you need to go to Mooresville. A compromise you might make is living in Fox Den, which is closer to Mooresville, but it still has the Statesville schools.

Mooresville by contrast is well known for their public schools. There is plenty of shopping, the lake, the historic district. I think the main negative about Mooresville is the traffic.

You also asked about Salisbury. Salisbury is an interesting dichotomy in that there is a lot of money there because Food Lion started there and people bought stock that took off. There is a lovely historic district, gorgeous old homes, beautiful golf course neighborhoods. The public library in downtown Salisbury is super nice. However, there is high lower income minority population in Salisbury, and the crime rate is fairly high (I think it's ranked 9th in the state for crime?) I don't know anything about Rowan County schools.

Have you considered Concord? Concord has a great historic district to give it that small town atmosphere. There is all the shopping you could want, and Cabarrus County schools are well regarded. It is not that far to uptown now that 485 is complete.

ETA: One weird thing about Statesville, I met some really great people there, and also the meanest people I have ever met in my entire life. Seriously. Very strange town.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 04-04-2017 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 PM

appreciate your thoughts - thanks!

Old 04-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Oh, also, when we lived in Statesville, we were robbed twice. Once they broke into my car. And we lived in an "upscale" neighborhood. (Knock on wood, these were the only times we have ever been burglarized). We heard stories from our neighbors about all the break ins; one family was robbed on Christmas Eve while they were at church.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:28 PM

That's not what I wanted to hear

Old 04-04-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoNC63 View Post
That's not what I wanted to hear
I'm sorry.

Maybe for some people it's better. I mean, there must be a reason people settle down there.

But I have lived in Davidson, Concord, suburban Atlanta, Asheville area, Charleston area and I have never had problems in any of those places like we encountered in Statesville.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:20 PM

10 posts, read 7,247 times
I have heard terrible things about the crime in Statesville so you may want to check that first.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:32 PM

5,885 posts, read 7,739,046 times
Where are you living now? What's your budget? I feel like budget would be the only reason to choose Salisbury or Statesville over Mooresville if working in Charlotte. While a Mooresville to Charlotte commute would be rough (which you seem to realize), it's still closer to Charlotte than Statesville or Salisbury, has more shopping and most would likely agree has better schools.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:33 PM

21,968 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
We lived in Statesville for 2 years. Yes it has that small town feel and parts of it are lovely (Mitchell CC is the prettiest CC you will ever see) but the flip side of that is that they are less welcoming to outsiders. One woman I know said "this is the hardest town to break into" in terms of social groups. People are from there, go away to college, and come back to live. Statesville public schools have a poor reputation. If you are thinking of going to one of the private schools, DM me with which one you are thinking of. Statesville is also limited in its shopping, in that you'll end up driving to Mooresville for a lot. Statesville does have a Wal Mart and a TJ Maxx and a (dying) mall, but if you want to splash out and go to Target, you need to go to Mooresville. A compromise you might make is living in Fox Den, which is closer to Mooresville, but it still has the Statesville schools.

Mooresville by contrast is well known for their public schools. There is plenty of shopping, the lake, the historic district. I think the main negative about Mooresville is the traffic.

You also asked about Salisbury. Salisbury is an interesting dichotomy in that there is a lot of money there because Food Lion started there and people bought stock that took off. There is a lovely historic district, gorgeous old homes, beautiful golf course neighborhoods. The public library in downtown Salisbury is super nice. However, there is high lower income minority population in Salisbury, and the crime rate is fairly high (I think it's ranked 9th in the state for crime?) I don't know anything about Rowan County schools.

Have you considered Concord? Concord has a great historic district to give it that small town atmosphere. There is all the shopping you could want, and Cabarrus County schools are well regarded. It is not that far to uptown now that 485 is complete.

ETA: One weird thing about Statesville, I met some really great people there, and also the meanest people I have ever met in my entire life. Seriously. Very strange town.
Why would you go to Mooresville for shopping if you live in Statesville? Hickory has just about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or